Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very disappointed at HONDA this time. With all these problems - I wonder what happened to the QC??

I've had vibration (after 75mph) and weird suspension/brake/steering noises....just when I think it's me being overly picky then I see all these post on here with exact same issues..

Just today I went to my dealer to buy a touch up paint for my pilot. A older gentleman came up to me and asked me whether if I had problems with my pilot?? He looked very annoyed and angry.

What is going on here? You would think after YEARS of experience in building quality automobiles - HONDA would come up with a better product. NO argument on the functionality of the car - it's all these small annoying fit and finish problems. Especially when this car is based on the VAn and almost the same as the MDX that has been out for a while now..

I wonder if it has to do with the fact that these PILOTS are not built from Japan factory?? I've been always told that to make sure that if you buy a japanese car - make sure that the car is made from JAPAN factory. Perhaps they have tougher QC over there than the US plants?

G

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know how you stand it!

:confused: Once in a while I check this site since I was almost a Pilot owner myself back in June. In fact, I held off buying an SUV back in Jan 2002 after seeing pix of the Pilot at the auto shows. I figured... a REAL Honda SUV-Finally! I was an information junky all those preceeding months leading up to the Pilots intro in early June. I was only the second person to drive the first Pilot EX at the Orlando dealer I went to that weekend. I was a buyer with cash to burn!

But, alas the Pilot did nothing for me or my wife. Just a van with an SUV body. We wanted a real SUV. Never did the fact that the Pilot was a new model sway us. Heck, we have had many Hondas in the past and could always buy a first year model with no hesitation. Never disappointed. So, we made our decision based on what the Pilot was: too expensive for what it offered and the apparent nickel and diming of Honda (no CD6?! no fogs?! no crossbars?! no splash guards?! no step rails?! no factory tow package or trans/oil coolers???!!! Wow.) After adding all that to the price of the Pilot we were looking at and the markup they were asking, we just walked out laughing. We headed straight to the Nissan dealer and bought our Pathfinder LE. Everything the Pilot offers and much more in a real SUV package. Sure it's smaller, but that's okay. It felt alot classier and more purpose built... not a mommy wagon. But hey, that's just us.

And now?...We are ecstatic with our Pathy. Love every facet of it. And since June we have yet to visit the dealer with even one single issue, problem, rattle, or flaw. Zero. Zilch. Nada. It is flawless in every respect to this day. Amazing. Or maybe not. See, I expected any of the models I was looking at to be flawless (Pilot, HL, Pathy) and would have been disappointed in anything less. That is why I was willing to pay a premium over some domestic model or second tier Asian import. I am positive THAT is why so many Pilot owners are less than thrilled with Honda. Pilot owners payed big bucks for space and supposed reliability. You weren't expecting to become the service manager's best bud. That's what EXPLORERS are for! Heck, Honda had 15 years to develop the most perfect SUV on earth... they were certainly in no rush.

To see so many problems with the Pilot is a disgrace. I would have cut my losses by now if it were me. I did that once with a Chrysler and swore 'em off for good. It's not enough to say these are insignificant troubles. Scroll through ALL the problems listed. VERY scary. And to think this website is only a teensy fraction of Pilot owners. If your small sample is any indication, problems are being felt by a large portion of Pilot owners.

So in sum... I think Honda has been forced into buying less than perfect North American parts for their NA built vehicles. Japanese suppliers are MUCH more rigorous in their quality controls. And most of the problems associated with the Pilot are part- supplier problems (not including the many paint/fit problems-that's assembly related). Ultimately though, it all falls back on Honda's shoulders. They could easily insist on better parts. If the Pilot was built in Japan, it would be as well made as the Highlander, Pathfinder, 4Runner, or all the Lexus and Infiniti models. Just one look at the Nissan models built over here tells me that having only Japan-built vehicles is the way to ensure (or better ensure) a troublefree ownership experience. Sadly, I probably won't replace my Japanese built Maxima or Pathfinder with American built replacements. ONLY Toyota seems willing to demand and is willing to alienate it's NA suppliers in order to guarantee quality (that is what they are really selling, isn't it?). If they ever stop doing that, there goes their one big advantage.

I really don't wish ill will on any of you, but I hate to see knee-jerk reactions to problems that crop up. There seem to be many defenders and apologists for Honda no matter what they do. Some on here love to rip the competition and take pleasure in those owner's less-than-perfect vehicles. But when Honda drops the ball, SOME posters quickly retort with a weird defensiveness. Lots of excuses. I see that on Jeep, Explorer, and Tahoe sites as well.

You know... maybe Honda isn't so perfect after all.:eek:

·
Registered
166 Posts
You have to take everything with a grain of salt. I got my Pilot in Dec and have not run into any of the problems mentioned. As with most everything, the most vocal group are those with problems. The ones without are pretty quiet.

Perhaps I'll sing a different tune after I've had my Pilot awhile, but my neighbor who has had her's since last April or May, hasn't complained about any of the problems either.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I got my Pilot in June 2002 and have approx 10,000 miles on mine. I have not even had 1 minor problem with it. I am 110% satisfied. I am 62 years old and have owned a lot of vehicles and this is by far the best one ever as far as quality goes. I agree that people with problems yell and complain the loudest. I am sure that there are a majority of Pilot owners out there that are like me. I love my Pilot.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I love my Pilot.

It is not perfect. I don't expect perfection.

I do expect a solid vehicle I can depend on. Got it!

7 months and 9,000 miles. Happy! :D

Remember, the views expressed here are a minority. Thousands of Pilots are on the road, and a few hundred owners come here to share enthusiasm, and knowledge.

Owners who take the initiative to find a resource like this tend to be more passionate about thier cars, and are more likely to complain about very small issues that the average driver would never notice. And there's nothing wrong with that! (I was once a total car nut!) Everyone has different priorities, and priorities change. Others just need to consider this when absorbing all this information.

There's a wealth of valuable information here provided by some really great people. Just be careful not to get too caught up in the negative threads.

:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Same here.. haven't had a problem yet.. love the Pilot.. I pretty much forced a friend of mine to buy one back in August.. he still loves his Pilot and he hasn't had any problems with it so far either.. even before I bought my Pilot, I was lurking around here reading about problems and such.. but it was nothing I wasn't willing to deal with (of course, I can say that now because I don't have any problems :) ).. besides, I'm sure with any car, regardless of manufacturer, you're going to have a certain amount of people complaining or having issues that they feel they need to voice.. I don't think we will ever see a manufacturer with a 100% consumer satisfation rating or 100% reliability rating..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Squeeky Wheels

I love my Pilot, and even if I had wanted a Pathfinder I would have had to fork over another $6000 to get a Pathfinder with the same options. Not to mention that the Pathfinder didn't handle very well...I hit the gas on the freeway and the backend started a minor fish-tale.

There are less than 400 members on this site and there are about 60000 Pilot owners at this point (give or take). Don't be fooled into thinking that there is a large faction of unhappy owners out here. I'm truely sorry for those that have issues, but I'm not one of them. There is a vast silent majority out here happy as can be.

The people that post here are the diehards. We don't exactly accurately represent all Pilot owners or their Pilot issues.

My .02

·
Registered
316 Posts
4603pba said:
I got my Pilot in June 2002 and have approx 10,000 miles on mine. I have not even had 1 minor problem with it. I am 110% satisfied. I am 62 years old and have owned a lot of vehicles and this is by far the best one ever as far as quality goes. I agree that people with problems yell and complain the loudest. I am sure that there are a majority of Pilot owners out there that are like me. I love my Pilot.
D I T T O ! ! !
(Except I have 13,000 miles, created 1 or 2 minor problems myself, and am only 33 years old.)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Relatively Trouble Free

I haven't had to take my PILOT to the dealer for anything other than an oil change. My responses are to some of the bigger issues that have shown up on this website

Vibration problem: I had a minor one crop up with about 6,500 miles on mine, but it was time for a tire rotate/balance anyway. Once that was done, vibration gone (thank you BigO Tires).

Rattle in the rear: Turned out to be my license plate frame and my license plate. Put on three rubber feet to my plate - and it's gone!

Power Seat Lowering on its own: Turned out to be my leg hitting the seat controller - changed the way I get out of my PILOT (was no big deal) and the problem is gone.

Starting Problem: It's only hit me three or four times, but now that I don't jump into my PILOT and immediately throw the key into the ignition - the problem hasn't come back.

Water Pump Recall: I picked up my PILOT in mid-Sept. after it was built in mid-to late-August and my PILOT was NOT affected by the recall.

Cruise Control Problems: Haven't had them.

My biggest problem is keeping crap from flying off the road and hitting my PILOT (see other threads) I also have an issue with a**hole drivers who think it's okay to hit other people's vehicles or whack them with their doors, but I'm not gonna blame HONDA for that!

So, for those of you nay-sayers who think HONDA has built a piece of crap with with PILOT - I think the majority of people/members of this website would take issue with you. My PILOT may not be the fanciest set of wheels on the road, but compared to that bucket of garbage I used to own (Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition), my PILOT is a DIAMOND!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
465 Posts
I turned 10,000 miles on my way to work today, and no problems here. Still certain that I made the right choice for myself.

·
Registered
168 Posts
First off, I have had my Pilot since July 27th. I have over 10,000 miles logged. Those miles represent the trip to Michigan when the roads were so slippery, I watched vehicles slide off the road. The Pilot road straight and strong! Those miles represent the trip I took to the store with six inches of snow on the ground. That trip should have took 10 minutes, but lasted 30! I have never driven a vehicle that handled so well in the snow! (with the exception of the "company car" in the Marines) I was having so much fun, I kept whipping around the streets. Those miles represent not one trip to service with the exception on the recall (waterpump). Sure beats the complimentary recall book bounded in leather you receive upon purchase of many other brands! I have not had any problems. I am also representing the customers I have sold Pilots, who still rave how much they love thier Pilot when I follow up.

What FLA-USA would have us believe, is that this site represents large amounts of unsatisfied owners. I fail to see that when I read this site. I see dedicated owners, that appreciate the trading of knowledge, both the good and bad.

·
Registered
204 Posts
A handful of pilot owners are experiencing legitimate problems with certain things, I understand their frustration. If I had problems with my car after paying about 30K, I would feel the same way.

I have not had any problems with my Pilot which has 2200 miles in just over one month of ownership. I don't go look for problems and when I stumble across one, I don't look at it with a magnifying glass. I have also learnt to keep low expectations so that I am not devastated if things did not work in my favor.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
This is my first post. I just had to add my two cent's worth to the discussions in followup to FLA-USA's post.

I don't consider those of us who've commented on our positive experiences with the Pilot as "defenders and apologists" for Honda. I--for one--have enjoyed every moment behind the wheel of our admittedly barely broken in Pilot (about 1000 miles). Yes, I guess you could say we're still in the "honeymoon" period with our new vehicle, but all I can do is tell it like it is thus far. I love the car and have experienced no problems. The performance has met or exceeded my expectations.

To those of you reading through this forum as part of your decision process on whether to purchase a Pilot:

:) By all means consider the negative opinions and feedback that well-meaning posters have shared here. It's important to understand that the perfect automobile has yet to roll off the assembly line, and you could encounter a problem some one has mentioned here.
:) Also consider that the dissatisfied person is naturally more likely to post than the person who's satisfied or even quite happy. While "no news is good news" is a bit of a stretch, it makes the point.
:) Know what you want in an SUV and what's important to you in the driving experience. And educate yourself about the Pilot and if it meets those expectations.
:) Compare Pilot to other SUVs in terms of value/price. It's a fact that Honda has always emphasized dealer-added features/accessories rather than adding them at the factory and to the base price.

If you, the prospective Pilot owner, end up deciding the Pilot is for you, I strongly recommend the approach I took: Find a dealer with the Pilot model you want on the lot, and DRIVE THAT CAR, being extra alert to notice any of the problems you've seen mentioned here. I think the odds are pretty darn good that you'll never look back and will not regret your decision.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not Defending at All

The facts are:

at 6700 miles, the only problems are the noises from the hood deflector, the occassional slap of the seat belt against the back window and the infamous "scrunch". I can live with all of these things. Hood deflector-self fix. Window scrunch - lubricate. Seat belt bashing - gotta get a fix for this one.
Mechanically, the Pilot has been terrific. It rides alot nicer than my POS Acura CL whose tranny appears to be going. A few tweaks here and there and Honda has a real gem on its hands.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Down the road

The true test of my Pilot will be several years from now. If I still drive it ( which I hope to) and/or if I make it past 120,000 miles, trouble free...I'll be happy.

So far so good.

P.S.

I would not be surprised if some of the Honda bashers in this .org site work for, or are loyal to another auto maker. How easy it is, (pretend I work for Nissan or Toyota), to come in here disguised as a Pilot owner..bashing and scaring away potential buyers....I'm not mentioning names, just a thought.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm not sure if I still love or hate my Pilot (I think it's both).
I'm very happy to hear there are Pilot's out there that are flawless because mine sure isn't. I bought it because it was a Honda (my first) and have been very disappointed with the quality, mostly little things (some not so little). My dilema is that I really love the Pilot but I really hate the nagging things that constantly keep at me.
Things I love: The way it drives (handling, ride, power), Utility, Just the right size (roomy but not too big), comfortable seats, center console, ride height, heat and AC, door sill rubber cover and more.
Things I hate: Window scrunch, right rear rattle, tires (Goodyears), starting problem, driver seat clunk (I'm not in the TSB range), winshield washer leak, sharp plastic (actually draws blood), door jamb marks (from seatbelt), paint chipping and door jamb coloring, black door handles, noise from the gas tank, brakes clicking (fwd to reverse).
If I could get all these fixed I would be left with just a loves column (maybe some day).

All I had to do was sit in a Pathfinder and try to get into the back seat and I left the dealership. Nissan has had their share of problem too (I won't even start on my 93 Maxima that used to get me seasick and took 45 minutes to cool down).
I do agree that I feel nickel and dimed to death for all the extras that I feel should have been included like fog lights, crossrails and rear mudguards but not everyone would want to pay for them.

·
Registered
991 Posts
ohh man, I think you got it all wrong.. The complaining..... most of it is minor. I think you guys would agree, I am concerned with the starting issue, but thats about it.. Honda did a great job with this SUV.. My opinion and everyone is equal, Honda Pilot takes the cake for ride and quality and resale.. To me the Pathfinder does not compare, tried one out, way to narrow and the ride is to rough to me..

You say you cannot believe all the problems we are having, you should check out GM or Ford, or maybe there is a forum for your Nissan Pathfinder, bet ya there is just as much or more complaints..

We never said Honda was perfect did we guys? We just LOVE HONDA products, and will always continue to buy them.. The only thing that would change my mind if they end up the same quality as GM or Nissan..

rob:2:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Re: I don't know how you stand it!

FLA-USA said:
:confused: Once in a while I check this site since I was almost a Pilot owner myself back in June. In fact, I held off buying an SUV back in Jan 2002 after seeing pix of the Pilot at the auto shows. I figured... a REAL Honda SUV-Finally! I was an information junky all those preceeding months leading up to the Pilots intro in early June. I was only the second person to drive the first Pilot EX at the Orlando dealer I went to that weekend. I was a buyer with cash to burn!

But, alas the Pilot did nothing for me or my wife. Just a van with an SUV body. We wanted a real SUV. Never did the fact that the Pilot was a new model sway us. Heck, we have had many Hondas in the past and could always buy a first year model with no hesitation. Never disappointed. So, we made our decision based on what the Pilot was: too expensive for what it offered and the apparent nickel and diming of Honda (no CD6?! no fogs?! no crossbars?! no splash guards?! no step rails?! no factory tow package or trans/oil coolers???!!! Wow.) After adding all that to the price of the Pilot we were looking at and the markup they were asking, we just walked out laughing. We headed straight to the Nissan dealer and bought our Pathfinder LE. Everything the Pilot offers and much more in a real SUV package. Sure it's smaller, but that's okay. It felt alot classier and more purpose built... not a mommy wagon. But hey, that's just us.

And now?...We are ecstatic with our Pathy. Love every facet of it. And since June we have yet to visit the dealer with even one single issue, problem, rattle, or flaw. Zero. Zilch. Nada. It is flawless in every respect to this day. Amazing. Or maybe not. See, I expected any of the models I was looking at to be flawless (Pilot, HL, Pathy) and would have been disappointed in anything less. That is why I was willing to pay a premium over some domestic model or second tier Asian import. I am positive THAT is why so many Pilot owners are less than thrilled with Honda. Pilot owners payed big bucks for space and supposed reliability. You weren't expecting to become the service manager's best bud. That's what EXPLORERS are for! Heck, Honda had 15 years to develop the most perfect SUV on earth... they were certainly in no rush.

To see so many problems with the Pilot is a disgrace. I would have cut my losses by now if it were me. I did that once with a Chrysler and swore 'em off for good. It's not enough to say these are insignificant troubles. Scroll through ALL the problems listed. VERY scary. And to think this website is only a teensy fraction of Pilot owners. If your small sample is any indication, problems are being felt by a large portion of Pilot owners.

So in sum... I think Honda has been forced into buying less than perfect North American parts for their NA built vehicles. Japanese suppliers are MUCH more rigorous in their quality controls. And most of the problems associated with the Pilot are part- supplier problems (not including the many paint/fit problems-that's assembly related). Ultimately though, it all falls back on Honda's shoulders. They could easily insist on better parts. If the Pilot was built in Japan, it would be as well made as the Highlander, Pathfinder, 4Runner, or all the Lexus and Infiniti models. Just one look at the Nissan models built over here tells me that having only Japan-built vehicles is the way to ensure (or better ensure) a troublefree ownership experience. Sadly, I probably won't replace my Japanese built Maxima or Pathfinder with American built replacements. ONLY Toyota seems willing to demand and is willing to alienate it's NA suppliers in order to guarantee quality (that is what they are really selling, isn't it?). If they ever stop doing that, there goes their one big advantage.

I really don't wish ill will on any of you, but I hate to see knee-jerk reactions to problems that crop up. There seem to be many defenders and apologists for Honda no matter what they do. Some on here love to rip the competition and take pleasure in those owner's less-than-perfect vehicles. But when Honda drops the ball, SOME posters quickly retort with a weird defensiveness. Lots of excuses. I see that on Jeep, Explorer, and Tahoe sites as well.

You know... maybe Honda isn't so perfect after all.:eek:

Methinks you read too much into what you read - would suspect Pathfinder site - just like all others - would appear to have more than normal number of problems with their vehicles - glad you love your pathfinder and have had no problems - feel the same and have had zero problems with my Pilot. honda quality lives on.

bakerlar
:2:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I love my Pilot too! I have to tell you, FLA-USA, I should have bought a Honda years ago. This is my first and definitely won't be my last. It is a great product that can't be rivaled $ for $ by anything else. Awesome engine, performance and design. I couldn't be happier. I had plenty of opportunity to buy something else and I'm thrilled I bought Honda. I feel for the folks having problems with their Pilots, but like Apprentice points out, they are a very small number and the nature of the problems (mostly mild)...well you can make your own assessments.:4:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts