Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new here, just read a bunch of posts, so please have some patience if I'm out of line. (Looked around for the answer but didn't find it.)

I have a fully loaded 2016 Pilot Touring. Today I ran out of gas and stalled (while in park on line at the gas station). We tried starting back up a few times unsuccessfully. Pushed it, fueled up, and got started up again. Now a bunch of lights and errors are lit on the dash.

Anything I should be concerned about? What can I do to clear?

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
67 Posts
Hi,

I'm new here, just read a bunch of posts, so please have some patience if I'm out of line. (Looked around for the answer but didn't find it.)

I have a fully loaded 2016 Pilot Touring. Today I ran out of gas and stalled (while in park on line at the gas station). We tried starting back up a few times unsuccessfully. Pushed it, fueled up, and got started up again. Now a bunch of lights and errors are lit on the dash.

Anything I should be concerned about? What can I do to clear?

Thanks in advance!
So...what's your battery's condition? I'm guessing the repeated start attempts put a decent drain on the battery. These cars can throw some weird codes with a weak battery.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So...what's your battery's condition? I'm guessing the repeated start attempts put a decent drain on the battery. These cars can throw some weird codes with a weak battery.
Now it starts up fine, but it just has these lights and errors on the dash. Is there a way to check the status of the battery?

· Registered
1,221 Posts
Many auto part stores will do a free battery check. You can also check it with a voltmeter which reads 12 volts DC. It will give a general indication of the charge of the battery and if you leave the car running while checking, it will show if it is being charged by showing around 14 volts or so.

· Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
5,099 Posts
If your Pilot still has the original battery it’s time to replace it.

If you check the state of the battery and it’s good, try disconnecting battery negative cable for a few minutes to see if the codes clear.

· Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
765 Posts
+1 on unhooking the battery for a couple minutes to get things reset
but check the owner manual first because some vehicles require a specific idle re-learn procedure. I don't believe many if any Hondas fall into this though

· Registered
504 Posts
Running out of gas will generate DTCs. As long as the check engine light isn’t flashing, which indicates a misfire condition, just drive a few days and see if the lights clear on their own. If the CEL is flashing there may be an on going mis-fire condition that can damage the catalytic converters. If this is the case then limit driving to a mechanic for diagnosis. If the faults don’t clear on their own they will have to be cleared with a OBD2 scanner.

· Registered
Home of the 305k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,592 Posts
If the vehicle returns to running normal, these light should go off on their own. If any one code is staying on, it should be checked out. As mentioned, most auto parts stores will scan the vehicle for codes for free (also battery and alternator check). An OBD II scanner is a great tool to own and can be readily purchased online for not a lot of money.

Note to self..,
Never let a 3rd gen Pilot run out of gas. 🤦‍♂️

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.