Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
100k miles?
That's amazing. Maybe I need to rethink what I'm doing.
When I can clear enough junk away from in front of the filing cabinets in the garage I'll look up the receipt, but it's over 15 years ago or more and 100k miles or more. I didn't know from changing atf so often until I got here. This Pilot is my first Honda. I don't know if Amsoil will do as well in the Pilot transmission. But I don't plan on letting it go that long without keeping a closer eye on it.

·
Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,154 Posts

·
Registered
12,789 Posts
Looks like you could use a little more protein in your diet. Hey, I'll bet there's a good sale on at Dillon's.
Just ask @Daltongang to set you up.

Speaking of bulking up, I've got like a five-year supply of five-liter jugs of Valvoline Maxlife ATF in the garage (the supply chain waxes and wanes here), calculated for an ATF D&F every second oil change. Might think about trying Amsoil once my stocks are depleted.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
100k miles?
That's amazing. Maybe I need to rethink what I'm doing.
According to the receipt for the D&R using Amsoil ATF on the Nissan, it was in 2011 the odo was at 132,383. It's at 240k now so that Amsoil you just saw is ten years old and has gone 108k miles. For real. I'm amazed as well. I thought it would be darker.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EXL, 3.5L 5 speed
137 Posts
I contacted the person I bought my Pilot from ( one owner ) and he told me he never changed transmission, differential, or transfer case oils. All he did was required oil changes. So I assume this 2008 having 143000 miles on it, I would probably be better off leaving it alone, since I am having no issues. Question though, anyone here have experience with changing fluids on a high mileage Pilot, that did not have the required service, and if so did you do more harm than good.
I know this is an old thread, but I have a 2012 Acura TL which I bought with 176,000 miles on it. It seemed to have very old fluid in it. It was shifting kind of funny, so I did a drain and refill. After 1 drain and refill, it was significantly better. After the second, it was smooth as oil on a blister. I recommend changing the fluid if you have less than 200k miles.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
It does but many here think others are okay to use but of course if they were Honda would have said so. Don't listen to these guys, be smart, and only use Genuine Honda DW-1 ATF.
“Don’t listen to these guys, be smart, listen to me”.

Really, there is nothing magical about OEM fluids. Do you only use Honda labeled motor oil in the engine? Of course not. There are many very good motor oils available. The same situation applies to ATF. If you feel best with Honda DW-1, that’s just fine. IMO it’s a good quality fluid for your Honda transmission, made by a contract lube manufacturer. Honda does not manufacture lubricants, they make cars.

There are many other high quality synthetic ATF fluids that are compatible with Honda transmissions. Just go on BITOG and check out the thread for more info on ATF than you ever wanted to read. Lots of members here use non-Honda ATF with good results. Do as you wish, but don’t feel that only Honda ATF is compatible. There is a long list of good compatible fluids.

The real secret for a long transmission life with Honda is frequent ATF service.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't listen to these guys, be smart, and only use Genuine Honda DW-1 ATF.
The best quote out there.
I guess some tend to lead and explore, and some are just direction followers.
Valvoline or Castrol are just plain stupid to advertise, sell and make 10-20% profit margin on these Honda compatible atf fluids and be exposed to multimillion class action lawsuits for failed transmissions…. By the way, did you find a lot of these in courts?

121 - 129 of 129 Posts