Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Lol. Ya.
I thought it intresting that RockAuto shows Pentosin as a substitute for 3.1.
View attachment 143655
I do believe that even though we've seen Honda ATF evolve over the years with negative benefits (other than to Honda through price), that its glory days of "only use our expensive fluid or else..." are hopefully coming to an end.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I tried 4 quarts of BA. I'm not saying it was bad fluid. I didn't see any improvement in shift quality in my 6-speed. I'm not knocking it, but I don't feel the need to promote it. I have a family member who used BA in a transmission full of Honda DW-1. They are satisfied with it.
Curiosity has the better of me so I'm going to try the Amsoil stuff. (DW-1 compat) Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid ATL1G-EA - AMSOIL I put it in the Nissan AT 165k miles ago, towed 24'+ boats all over creation and it's still going strong. It's kinda pricey though. If it doesn't break anything, then the question is how often will it need changing ....?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
If this fluid wasn't $10-15 a bottle, I'd be using it to. I'm sure one of the Amsoil guys will answer this question, as to whether you can go longer between changes. Clean fluid color change would be a good indicator.
Tell me about it ... 3x D&Rs will put a dent in my tool budget. I'm thinking about letting the AT pump move out the old and suck in the new. The very clean VML has been in there for 3k miles so I don't think there's much danger of clogging up small places with any loosened gunk the same pressure the same pump has been using... although it wouldn't take much to talk me out of it.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
From the looks of it, not even close to menopause. :)

Really, 100k miles? If you're not just spoofing that because you're an Amsoil pusher dealer, that is impressive.
I think it could be more. I'll see if I can find the receipt. It was done on one of those flushing machines, and my mechanic had just gotten it so I'll ask him when that was next time I see him. Probably 15 or more years ago. My recollection is I changed the atf at around 120k. It's at 240k now and that was the only atf change in it's life. Before I got the Pilot and came here, I didn't know from Adam about needing to change atf as often as is done to Pilots (like every 30k).

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
100k miles?
That's amazing. Maybe I need to rethink what I'm doing.
When I can clear enough junk away from in front of the filing cabinets in the garage I'll look up the receipt, but it's over 15 years ago or more and 100k miles or more. I didn't know from changing atf so often until I got here. This Pilot is my first Honda. I don't know if Amsoil will do as well in the Pilot transmission. But I don't plan on letting it go that long without keeping a closer eye on it.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
100k miles?
That's amazing. Maybe I need to rethink what I'm doing.
According to the receipt for the D&R using Amsoil ATF on the Nissan, it was in 2011 the odo was at 132,383. It's at 240k now so that Amsoil you just saw is ten years old and has gone 108k miles. For real. I'm amazed as well. I thought it would be darker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts