Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for my ATF change. I've only used Honda ATF-DW1 in the past but I see RockAuto carries Aisin and costs less than Honda. I know Aisin timing belt kits are perfect oem replacements but is it the same for their DW-1? Is this the same quality and suitable replacement, and can I mix this with some existing Honda DW-1 stash I have?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
It's time for my ATF change. I've only used Honda ATF-DW1 in the past but I see RockAuto carries Aisin and costs less than Honda. I know Aisin timing belt kits are perfect oem replacements but is it the same for their DW-1? Is this the same quality and suitable replacement, and can I mix this with some existing Honda DW-1 stash I have?
Aisin, Idemitsu Type H Plus are aftermarket replacements for DW-1. My only wish is that they (and DW-1) were full synthetic.

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No idea, but how much of a cost savings is it?
After shipping about $20 savings compared to the best price I found for a case of 12 Honda DW-1. Small savings but if just as good as oem, I figure why not.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I guess the answer that you should be looking for is Valvoline Maxlife synthetic ATF.
Yes!
In a 5-speed transmission in this year model, I'd run to Wal-Mart for Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF for $18 a gallon.

Reactions: pilot2009

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never thought of synthetic ATF, or even using non-Honda ATF. I always thought it had to be oem.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I never thought of synthetic ATF, or even using non-Honda ATF. I always thought it had to be oem.
Your 5-speed loves Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Are you having any transmission issues or just doing regular maintanace?

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No transmission issues. All regular maintenance done as close to schedule as possible. The thought of using non-Honda ATF seems strange but I may give it a shot. Should I do several drain/fills with some driving in between to flush out the old Honda ATF or not necessary? I never did multiple drain/fills before.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
No transmission issues. All regular maintenance done as close to schedule as possible. The thought of using non-Honda ATF seems strange but I may give it a shot. Should I do several drain/fills with some driving in between to flush out the old Honda ATF or not necessary? I never did multiple drain/fills before.
If you've been regular with your ATF maintenance and your DW-1 fluid is not dark, no.
I'm the kind that wants full synthetic fluid in my transmission. So me personally, I'd do it 3 times.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
32 Posts
I contacted the person I bought my Pilot from ( one owner ) and he told me he never changed transmission, differential, or transfer case oils. All he did was required oil changes. So I assume this 2008 having 143000 miles on it, I would probably be better off leaving it alone, since I am having no issues. Question though, anyone here have experience with changing fluids on a high mileage Pilot, that did not have the required service, and if so did you do more harm than good.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
  • VTM-4 fluid when it hadn't ever been done on a 2007 cured some hesitating and brief VSA light when accelerating uphill in a curve.
  • Transfer case hypoid gear oil had never been changed (as I suspect is the case for many Pilot owners, unbeknownst to them). No noticeable difference.
  • Transitioned from darkish mystery ATF (perhaps DW-1) to full synth Valvoline Maxlife ATF by doing a simple drain and fill along with every second oil change over three years. Transmission is perfecto, so I've just kept doing that. It may be overkill, by since the transmission is the Achilles' heel of the Pilot, I see it as cheap insurance and stock up whenever Walmart has it on the shelves.
There may be some instances in life when if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but maintenance fluids ain't one of them.

Add DOT-3 brake fluid flush every three years or so (because it's hygroscopic), OEM power steering fluid 3x drain & fill with the turkey baster method (because it's under very high pressure), and antifreeze replacement to the list.

Just because you're driving down the highway in late February catching windshield-covering slushy spray thrown up from semis in front of you and you still had some windshield washer fluid left when you left in the morning from when you filled it back in December, doesn't mean "I would probably be better off leaving it alone, since I am having no issues." Yet.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
32 Posts
The Walmart website says not available in stores, only on-line. At 80 dollars for 6 litres I will just use Honda atf.
I am changing my Differential fluid in my chrysler 300 today using synthetic 75W140. Would this work in the transfer case of the Honda.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Would this work in the transfer case of the Honda.
You can only use OEM Honda VTM-4 fluid for the rear differential, and I used this from Walmart in my front transfer case:

As for full synth Valvoline Maxlife ATF at Walmart, where are you seeing it in 6 liter jugs for $80? Are you sure you're not looking at another Valvoline product? The jugs in Canada are 5 liters, and sell for about $33, which is considerably less expensive than non full synth DW-1.

Valvoline MaxLife Automatic Transmission Fluid | Walmart Canada

But the supply chain seems sporadic. About three years ago, it was always out of stock, then a couple of years ago it started always being in stock again, and now in the past couple of months it seems in shorter supply (maybe Bruce in Mississauga is only working from home these days), so widen your search area and it's sometimes more plentiful in semi far-flung suburban locations.

Valvoline Maxlife ATF

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
32 Posts
You can only use OEM Honda VTM-4 fluid for the rear differential, and I used this from Walmart in my front transfer case:

View attachment 138621

As for full synth Valvoline Maxlife ATF at Walmart, where are you seeing it in 6 liter jugs for $80? Are you sure you're not looking at another Valvoline product? The jugs in Canada are 5 liters, and sell for about $33, which is considerably less expensive than non full synth DW-1.

View attachment 138620

Valvoline MaxLife Automatic Transmission Fluid | Walmart Canada

But the supply chain seems sporadic. About three years ago, it was always out of stock, then a couple of years ago it started always being in stock again, and now in the past couple of months it seems in shorter supply (maybe Bruce in Mississauga is only working from home these days), so widen your search area and it's sometime more plentiful in semi far-flung suburban locations.

Valvoline Maxlife ATF
Yes, you are correct about the atf, I was looking at the wrong product.

·
Registered
2018 CRV 2019 Pilot
4 Posts
I saw the same product on Rockauto, but opted for the Beck Arnely DW-1 atf as it is synthetic. I have also used Maxlife atf in the past in the pilot and other cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are there any known issues with mixing valvoline and honda fluids together? Valvoline website that it is fully compatible with conventional trans fluid.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts