Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Pilot that I used frequently for work and play towing a 4000-lb trailer along with a 500 lbs of gear in the truck. My trailer has a some tongue weight which creates some sag on the truck. Does anyone have any suggestions on an aftermarket air suspension solution to help stabilize my rear? Would love to hear how any of you handled this? let me know.... any advice is great advice....THanks!!

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
If Firestone doesn't have a ride rite system that is direct fit for the Pilot then you could use one of their universal setups.

Have you gone to the scales? This sounds an awful lot like you are over the limits for your Pilot. My real recommendation is to get a vehicle that actually suits your needs. Some get offended by that kind of comment and talk about how they've been doing it their whole life, no need for that.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Firestone makes an air bag setup for Pilots but if you are pulling a trailer I would use a weight distribution hitch instead. The WDH will allow you to get the weight shifted more evenly.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,321 Posts
with 5k trailer loaded weight, you need at least 550lbs on the hitch itself. Combined with the 500lbs of stuff (plus you?) the combination of a WDH and Firestone will make a big difference.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am not sure why people keep posting the recommendation for a weight distribution hitch for Honda pilots... The pilot is a unibody vehicle and DOES NOT SUPPORT a WDH. I am sure some of you have used one, I am sure there are those of you that will swear by them..

They are not recommended by Honda.
They are stressing the body in ways it was not designed to be stressed

I am sure the airbag idea will also be loading the body over what it was designed to handle as well (if your payload is over the rated value) remember tongue weight IS payload, but that is a safer option than twisting a unibody by the weakly mounted hitch.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
I have a 2010 Pilot that I used frequently for work and play towing a 4000-lb trailer along with a 500 lbs of gear in the truck. My trailer has a some tongue weight which creates some sag on the truck. Does anyone have any suggestions on an aftermarket air suspension solution to help stabilize my rear? Would love to hear how any of you handled this? let me know.... any advice is great advice....THanks!!
Yeah, get a real truck. In TX, they were 'pick up trucks', a frame, bed on the back (that wasn't exposed to A/C of a heater) Real RWD, posi traction, etc.

You have an SUV- that people here call 'trucks'.

End of rant.

I'm assuming you have a 4WD/AWD?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts