Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Can anyone help with an advise on the following: I am about to buy a Pilot Touring 2009 and when I was viewing the vehicle I noticed that there is missing an Air Intake Tube (code 17245-RN0-A00, see attached).
The rest of the car looks good and the price is reasonable. The owner says he's got no idea that there should be any tube. He would never know hat something is missing if I did not tell him. His wife has been using the car for about 3 years. They've serviced the car regularly. No accidents with the vehicle.
My concern is that if they have run the car for a while without that Air Intake tube it could somehow influence the operation and condition of the engine. So, can it cause any problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey guys,

Can anyone help with an advise on the following: I am about to buy a Pilot Touring 2009 and when I was viewing the vehicle I noticed that there is missing an Air Intake Tube (code 17245-RN0-A00, see attached).
The rest of the car looks good and the price is reasonable. The owner says he's got no idea that there should be any tube. He would never know hat something is missing if I did not tell him. His wife has been using the car for about 3 years. They've serviced the car regularly. No accidents with the vehicle.
My concern is that if they have run the car for a while without that Air Intake tube it could somehow influence the operation and condition of the engine. So, can it cause any problem?
If it's off at the first "swivel" joint my guess is that it likely hasn't caused problems. The air is still being filtered but just not getting the "ram" effect and cold(er) air that the full snorkel would provide. If there are no related codes and the Pilot checks out otherwise I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. Mc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's off at the first "swivel" joint my guess is that it likely hasn't caused problems. The air is still being filtered but just not getting the "ram" effect and cold(er) air that the full snorkel would provide. If there are no related codes and the Pilot checks out otherwise I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. Mc
mcpilot2 thank you for your reply. It helps. One more thing, what is the best online resource to order parts for Pilots?

·
Registered
168 Posts
mcpilot2 thank you for your reply. It helps. One more thing, what is the best online resource to order parts for Pilots?
There are a number of dealers who regularly sell on Ebay & at pretty good prices...and, for many parts it is important to use OEM Honda. An Ebay search will turn up quite a few. Also, Rockauto is always a good source. There are a couple of national OEM sellers who skip my little memory chip right now...maybe someone will wade in with them but, at the same time, I've gotta report that I get good prices on many items (plugs, oil, filters) from my local dealer's parts dept.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's odd but not a show stopper. Ask for a discount so you can buy an intake hose. If not I would change the air filter now and annually. Much more important are questions like have the timing belt and fluids (trans, rear diff, .etc) been changed (with proof). Have they? I bought my 09 last year with 140k. Belt was done. So far I've had to replace alternator, bouncy rear shocks, O2 sensor, and a torn air intake boot (engine to air filter housing). Hoping the next 12 months will be better, but it's not terrible vs. a $500 new car payment. Out of curiosity, how much is he asking for it.?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are a number of dealers who regularly sell on Ebay & at pretty good prices...and, for many parts it is important to use OEM Honda. An Ebay search will turn up quite a few. Also, Rockauto is always a good source. There are a couple of national OEM sellers who skip my little memory chip right now...maybe someone will wade in with them but, at the same time, I've gotta report that I get good prices on many items (plugs, oil, filters) from my local dealer's parts dept.
I've already tried to find that missing part on Ebay but there are only a couple of offer for around $70-80 including shipping.
Will ask the local dealer and will see what he can offer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's odd but not a show stopper. Ask for a discount so you can buy an intake hose. If not I would change the air filter now and annually. Much more important are questions like have the timing belt and fluids (trans, rear diff, .etc) been changed (with proof). Have they? I bought my 09 last year with 140k. Belt was done. So far I've had to replace alternator, bouncy rear shocks, O2 sensor, and a torn air intake boot (engine to air filter housing). Hoping the next 12 months will be better, but it's not terrible vs. a $500 new car payment. Out of curiosity, how much is he asking for it.?
Timing belt was changed, I have seen the receipt from the Honda service. As for the fluids, I am not sure if they were changed.
The Pilot 09 Touring has not had any accidents, has got slightly above 200K km and the price $9,5K CAD. It comes with winter tyres with rims and some smaller stuff (roof rack, cargo cover, it has new summer tyres on it).

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
You get parts from Rock Auto for pretty cheap, and if RA does not have the part, then you use Bernardi or other Honda online retailers from the first dozen of Google results for "honda parts online".

If the seller is adamant that the TB was changed, they have to have a sticker on the TB cover. No sticker - no TB job.

And put your location into the profile as it makes way easier to answer your questions without unnecessary back and forth.

Reactions: Ocean View

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You get parts from Rock Auto for pretty cheap, and if RA does not have the part, then you use Bernardi or other Honda online retailers from the first dozen of Google results for "honda parts online".

If the seller is adamant that the TB was changed, they have to have a sticker on the TB cover. No sticker - no TB job.

And put your location into the profile as it makes way easier to answer your questions without unnecessary back and forth.
Thank you for your reply. I will check out the sticker.
I have found a local repair shop specializing in Honda and Acura. Scheduled oil change with them. Will see what are their prices for parts.
Hopefully I like the prices and service and will just stick to them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts