Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Air in power steering system

14K views 58 replies 17 participants last post by  mknmike 
#1 ·
Air keeps getting into my power steering system new rack , pump and high pressure line don't see any leaks any where. I purge it several times works for a few minutes then start making noise again what else to be done.

#3 ·
Used a Honda PS Fluid?
I'd lift both front tires just off the ground. And turn steering wheel lock to lock (might disconnect the battery so the ignition doesn't stay on a long period of time). This will circulate the fluid through the system. Once I was confident I had the air purged and the reservoir filled to the correct level, I'd start the engine. If the problem persists, there is a leak, pulling in air.

#4 ·
Do you have trapped air, or a leak somewhere in the system allowing air in and fluid out?

If you live in a rust state - the low pressure return metal line runs along the frame. It will rust on the welds where the connection brackets meet the tube.

If no leaks - then it’s either got residual air trapped in pockets or it’s sipping air somewhere. Tighten all connections, change the O rings (if you haven’t) and keep burping the system. More than likely you have a slightly loose connection at the rack, just enough to sip air but tight enough to retain fluid. You may also have a boogered seal somewhere doing the same thing.

Removing all the air in some of the newer PS systems is one of the biggest headaches for all mechanics, hang in there.

#5 ·
Get the new orange-flavored o-ring. :)

#7 ·
do you assume it is air getting in that's making the noise? can you confirm this? do you see bubbles swirling around in the reservoir while running or does the fluid look foamy after being run for awhile?
the reservoir has an integrated filter and when this filter gets clogged it will make the pump sound like there's air in the system when its really struggling to pull in fluid

#8 · (Edited)
2014 Pilot PS reservoir has bubbles - YouTube
Looks like this is the right thread to post my recent issue on the 2014 pilot EXL 4WD. I need some help figuring out what the problem could be and what would be my options. Thank you in advance.

I've owned the pilot since new and have put 60k miles on the meter. I've always followed the MM for maintenance at Honda dealers. Never had any major issue. Installed VCM Muzzler from day one. Timing belt and water pump works are not done yet. Just recently I noticed very light bubbles in the power steering fluid reservoir when the engine is warm (after a bit driving). However the car has been running just fine. No power steering noise or difficult steering at any speed or whatsoever. Here is a video of the reservoir showing inside fluid swirling as the engine is running after about 45 minutes highway driving. You may see some little bubbles in the fluid. I worried that there could be air sucked into the system causing the bubbles but since the bubbles look very light and not so foamy maybe this is normal? I've checked the power steering hose line as well as the pump itself and did not see any sign of leaking. So I am not sure if I really need to worry about these air bubbles in the reservoir. The car runs completely fine and does not show any symptom. If that's not something I need to worry about, then why these bubbles? Do other owners' pilots have a similar situation in the reservoir? I would appreciate if someone here can comment or give advice.

#9 ·
you're probably just seeing the results of high flow hot/warm fluid interacting with the small amount of air in the top of the canister. if air intrusion was real you would hear it and see a much more significant aeration. hundreds of tiny bubbles swirling around in suspension.
anywhere there is a fitting or a hard line to hose connection there can be air introduced into this system.
it can be like chasing a ghost sometimes

#10 ·
I get what you are saying but I also figured maybe the air intrusion into the PS system just got started and that is why symptoms are not obvious? I guess I have to keep monitoring and see if this situation gets worse. With 60k miles put on this truck, it is hard for me to admit it's already had such an air sucking problem. I wish I could know if other 2nd gen pilot owners have a similar issue. Thank you for the comments.

#11 ·
This problem (at least in a first gen) is unmistakable. It looks like you have a foam "head" in the top of the reservoir, and the power steering groans like a sick cow.

Unless you experience other symptoms, I wouldn't put any energy into this one, other than maybe doing the "turkey baster" partial fluid replacement if that makes you more comfortable.

#12 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. Once I have a chance, I will replace the PS fluid and see how it goes and hopefully the bubbles will go away. Honestly, I do not hear terrible PS noise inside or outside the vehicle. Steering wheel handling still feels like new. I'll update once it's done. Appreciate the comments.

#14 ·
Hello, I replaced both PS O-rings and stopped my air leak and loud noises. That little bolt under the inlet plastic hose connector is a PIA. I ground down a cheap box wrench to give a little more travel each stroke .
Jimdenic
My pilot has not noise or leak on the PS. Honestly I did not expect for this air leaking issue (if that's the case) as my 2014 pilot is really not so old. I tried a bit over the weekend but could not reach that bolt under the inlet hose. I need a small enough wrench for that. What kind of wrench did you use? Thanks.

#15 · (Edited)
looking at this I am not seeing a return line o-ring on the pump, only a pressure side o-ring

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/resou...21/large/f34d821f4ce2ae894b779985aea93c9a.png

I'm pretty sure only the 1st gen Pilots PS pump had the inlet & outlet pump o-rings.
if you really want to help your vehicle then get all the old fluid out and back-fill it with fresh fluid.
while you're at it, replace the reservoir which also acts as the filter for the whole system.
a partially clogged filter can put strain on the pump

#25 · (Edited)
Posted Tuesday night:
It’s been below freezing like 15-25 F most mornings when I drive the kids to school, 3 miles round trip all low rpms, but enough to warm up the car. I drove it tonight 35 F and there was no whine to investigate. Hmm… I will have to see what it’s like the next two mornings. It will be 18 F Thursday morning.

Edit: Wednesday morning:
It was 20-22 F this morning and the whine was back with vengeance. I popped the hood while the car was running after doing several lock-to-lock full turns, and saw this milkshake looking fluid. Maybe that’s all air bubbles, but my gut is telling me to drain and fill the fluid. Perhaps I can figure out how to replace the o-rings while at it, and where those o-rings go of course.

Edit 2: Wednesday morning:

I’ve got a 2006 ridgeline too, but haven’t had any problems with it (yet). This looks like the best shipping time and price to buy on Amazon. Maybe it’s worth checking my local dealer and the other site, as it’s possible these o-rings are not Honda brand.

5pcs Inlet & Outlet O-Ring Seal Kit for HONDA Power Steering Pump 91345-RDA-A01 & 91370-SV4-000 Made of Fluorocarbon (Viton) Amazon.com: 5pcs Inlet & Outlet O-Ring Seal Kit for HONDA Power Steering Pump 91345-RDA-A01 & 91370-SV4-000 Made of Fluorocarbon (Viton) : Automotive

I guess I will need some PS fluid too. Right?

Honda 08206-9002PE Power Steering Fluid Pack of 3 Amazon.com: Honda 08206-9002PE Power Steering Fluid Pack of 3 : Automotive

So I wonder where the other o-ring goes. The first video in post #5 above for the first o-ring on the suction side was very helpful, even showing the part number needed, which matches the link provided above too.

So in trying to figure out where o-ring 2 goes (pressure side of pump above I assume), I clicked on diagram link above, and see the diagram shows the inlet / suction o-ring is included with the PS pump itself. I’m pretty sure this is where the guy in the video in post-5 replaced the o-ring. Perhaps part 25 in this diagram is the pressure side o-ring which is the second one everyone talks about replacing and comes with every suction side o-ring on Amazon.

looking at this I am not seeing a return line o-ring on the pump, only a pressure side o-ring

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/resou...21/large/f34d821f4ce2ae894b779985aea93c9a.png

I'm pretty sure only the 1st gen Pilots PS pump had the inlet & outlet pump o-rings.
I’m not sure what model the diagram link you posted refers to, but as you can see above, it doesn’t break down the PS pump. So maybe that’s why the culprit o-ring isn’t shown in this diagram.

#16 ·
@Huluobo apologies if you are aware of this, but this forum is for the '03-'08 Pilots, and you have an '09 or younger Pilot (based on the fact that you installed a VCMuzzler, which is N/A for the '03-'08. I'm not sure if the PS rack/pinion/pump/plumbing is the same or not for both generations of Pilots.

Ignoring all that - if your gen has the same issues with o-rings and "frothy" fluid in the reservoir, you should start with the o-rings, that tend to fail. Less than $5 at your Honda dealer. Then start inspecting the high pressure hose, from the pump to the rack, for any pinhole leaks. Unfortunately, if you find one here, you're gonna need to replace the whole hose, as any fix you put on the high pressure side will most likely not last.

--Chris N.

#17 ·
@Huluobo apologies if you are aware of this, but this forum is for the '03-'08 Pilots, and you have an '09 or younger Pilot (based on the fact that you installed a VCMuzzler, which is N/A for the '03-'08.

--Chris N.
The 06-08 front wheel drive Pilots have the J35Z1 equipped with VCM
The 06-08 four wheel drive (or AWD, depends who you ask) have the J35A9 without VCM

#19 ·
Much appreciation @undivide,@cnelson0641,@[B]20Piloteer07[/B] for your inputs. Mine is a 2014 EXL 4WD. Here is my update. When I pulled onto my driveway this afternoon from work, I checked the reservoir and found there is NO bubble at all. What a surprise. So I am now so confused. Not sure what happened in the reservoir before today. Maybe it was because of the bumpy road after the highway driving? I guess I will need to keep monitoring for a few more days and see how the issue develops. If I don't see the bubbles again, I'll just let it go. If I do see the bubbles coming back, I would first replace the PS fluid and see if that resolves the issue. Next try would be O-ring's and hoses. Also the reservoir itself may also get bad (filter clogged). I'll update back.

By the way, I did some research about the O-ring and foamy fluid issue and actually did not see anyone mentioned the same problem on a 2nd gen pilot. So you guys are correct. It may be 1st gen specific. I've always learned something by reading here. Thank you everyone.

#20 ·
This is the best thread I’ve found so far for my 2007 pilot exl that has PS fluid but is whining like crazy especially when the car is cold, and it’s the coldest part of winter right now.

I know above this thread was started in the wrong forum, with the subject pilot being a gen2 and this being the gen1 forum. Well, I’ve got a gen1, so I’m adding on here.

Are the gen1 and gen2 drivetrains pretty much the same with the transverse v6 and the power steering pump at the top… where it’s probably prone to collecting air? And the reservoir is way down low, so the the reservoir is always going to be full even when air gets into the system up higher?

Thanks for the tips on the o-rings. I was ready to do a fluid drain and fill followed by just replacing the pump. It sounds like step 2 should be inspecting / replacing o-rings instead.

#21 ·
pump replacement should be last ditch option. o-rings first, reservoir replacement second or at same time as a fluid flush. can order everything at the dealer or online. dorman even makes the o-ring kit but I would go honda

#29 ·
Attention OEM shoppers!

Get the Blue Light Special on the Orange O-ring. Only 67¢! (Conditions may apply.)

#31 ·
Just to pile on to existing advice: frothy, milkshakey, air bubbly PS fluid is evidence of air entering the system. The most likely culprit is the high-pressure side O-ring. Start by replacing the fluid, the O-rings, and making sure you have the right fluid level.

--Chris N.
Hi pressure side would squirt out fluid, not suck in air. Don’t you think the same?

#36 ·
Always good to hear a success story, especially if the fix is relatively cheap and easy.

You have earned the coveted PIloteers Banana Dance of Success.
Toy Beard Electric blue Event Font

#38 ·
Hopefully I’m not too late to the conversation, but I’ve been foghting air in my system for weeks. 07 pilot, replaced pump, new reservoir, new hose from pump to reservoir, and new o rings. Had turned the wheel from lock to lock at least 100 times and there is still air in the system. Seems like it’s getting worse. Should I replace the high pressure hose? There wasn’t any fluid leaking that I know of before I started replacing parts.

#48 ·
some but not much air is not going to get into the system on the pressure side if a leak exists. it will get in on the return suction side especially the closer you get to the pump. anything between the exit of the rack to the cooler line to the reservoir all the way back to the pump fitting needs inspection.
got a buddy at work with an old accord and his cooler is corroded and leaking causing issues

Reactions: mknmike and ConrodM