Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

New member here. I sorted through some of the topics but couldn’t quite find an answer to my question. I bought a well maintained used 2004 Pilot EX. AC has been blowing nice cool air through the vents - especially the center blowers. However, when I turn the climate knob to make the air warmer, the volume of air reduces considerably. I just had the actuator on the passenger side replaced with a new one and the other unit by the accelerator appears to be moving nicely as I make changes to the mode button.

Is theAC air flow reduction normal with the center dash blowers when turning the dial to warm the cabin some? Any suggestions would be welcome!

-Rich

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
As IT salesmen say, it's not a bug, it's a feature. :)

For the front...

Gesture Font Material property Crescent Symbol
Gesture Font Crescent Symbol Tints and shades

First thing to note is that the front dash center vents hardly blows any heat at all unless the Mode is set to where there's an arrow pointing at the little dude's face.

View attachment 149905

Second thing I've found it that the loose heater control valve screw on the engine bay side of the firewall can not only lead to no or little heat in the winter, but can inject a certain amount of heat if left partially open the other way.

View attachment 149903

View attachment 149904
You should note that heat only really comes out of the top vents of the center console for the second row if the front mode controls are set to an arrow pointing at the little dude's face.

View attachment 144180

Otherwise, including on Full Auto, heat comes out of the bottom vent and A/C only comes out of the top vents back there, which kind of makes sense from a thermal dynamics point of view.

...and for the rear....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input on this issue. Yes, I have the blower/face option engaged while running the AC at max temp and fan strength. Plenty of air volume blowing through the upper center dash vents, but if I turn the climate control to the very warm side, the air volume gets reduced. Is that normal, or do I still have issues to get resolved? Thanks very much for any info.

Rich

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
First, see it this gives you any DTCs.

Font Material property Parallel Number Pattern

Attachments

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
However, at this point I would suspect your blend door actuator/mix motor Fix or replace. Sometimes the little shaft gets positioned incorrectly, especially if you've recently had it changed.

Could also be your heater control valve. It's a common problem, but usually easy and inexpensive to fix. As a matter of fact, try that first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts