Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if the air deflectors (bug guards) really work to deflect bugs off the windshield? Some of the info. I've read say that they are made to help protect the finish on the hood of the vehicle, but I want the item to specifically deflect bugs from the windshield. Unlike my old Accord which I loved, my new Pilot seems to attract bugs -- tons of them, and I have to really scrub the windshield to get them off.

So, do these air deflectors really work to deflect bugs from the windshield???

Denise
([email protected])

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
In my experience, the bugs were just more likely to end up directly in my line of sight, or along the front edge of the roofline.

To make it easier to remove bugs, try Stoners Invisible Glass glass cleaner, or Rain-X. Both products, in addition to causing water to bead and run off, make it easier to clean bug guts off in the summer and frost in the winter.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I drove from OH to NJ this past weekend with a perfect fit deflector and I still got a fair amount of bugs on the windshield. I didn't remove the deflector mid-way so I don't know if it makes any difference at all, but I doubt it will.

I'll continue using it to protect the hood though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the OEM bug deflector. For me, it's primary purpose to to protect the paint on my hood. I plan to keep it awhile and don't want the hood to get chipped to death. I can deal with cleaning off the bug splatter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses

Thanks for your responses. I've also heard of problems with wind noise from the deflectors, especially with the factory deflectors. So I guess I'll save my money and skip the deflector.

Jay, where can you get the products you mentioned -- the Rain-X and the Stoners Invisible Glass cleaner? Are they something you put on beforehand to prevent the bug guts from sticking or something that you just use to clean the windshield?

Thanks,
Denise

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Thanks for your responses

DeniseT said:
Thanks for your responses. I've also heard of problems with wind noise from the deflectors, especially with the factory deflectors. So I guess I'll save my money and skip the deflector.

Jay, where can you get the products you mentioned -- the Rain-X and the Stoners Invisible Glass cleaner? Are they something you put on beforehand to prevent the bug guts from sticking or something that you just use to clean the windshield?

Thanks,
Denise
I've used both, and like both. The Rain-X is applied to clean glass, dries to a haze, and is wiped off to leave a slick surface. It seems to last about 2 months, and comes in a yellow plastic bottle.

Stoners Invisible Glass is used to clean the glass. It comes in a can, sprays on like a foaming glass cleaner, and wipes off. You use it every time you clean the glass. It's in a tall black can with a yellow top. I'd recommend trying it first.

Neither product leaves a "film," but when it rains water beads and runs off much more readily.

Both products can be found at Pep Boys, AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, Wal-Mart's car care section, and similar places.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anybody have a recommendation for what product removes the nasty bug guts from the paint the best? (i.e. from the bumpers and stuff?)

thanks

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:) i waxed my car before my long travel and true enough, i was able to remove the tar and bugs easily with just water.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Anything out there to cover the front end to keep bugs off. I remember that "back in the day" they used to have bug screens that attached under the front wheel wells. I checked a few months ago for something at the auto parts store and all they had was the same screen, but the packaging looked like it has been sitting around from back in the day. Anybody else have any ideas besides that screen from my 1100 mile trip to Ohio.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
rock said:
Anybody have a recommendation for what product removes the nasty bug guts from the paint the best? (i.e. from the bumpers and stuff?)

thanks
If you maintain a good wax or polish, and use a good quality car wash soap when you wash, it should just wash right off. Having said that WD40 is a great bug remover. Just wax that area after using WD40, though. I spray a little WD40 on a terry cloth and gently wipe that stuff up. Sometimes you have to get heavy handed and spray the WD40 right on the bug guts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
rock said:

thanks
Haven't tried this yet, but recently read that a little vegetable oil on a rag removes the bug guts without harming the finish.

As for windshields, and you've probably heard this, Bon Ami soap powder works well.

YMMV

1 - 11 of 11 Posts