Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I just picked up my Pilot yesterday and noticed right away, once I drove away from the dealer, hissing wind noise. At first I couldn't figure out where it was coming from, but figured it must be the wind deflector. The wind hissing noise can be heard once the car goes over 50KM/H (about 30M/H?) and will increase in pitch as the speed inscreases.

I went right back to the dealer and pointed out the problem and the Parts Service technicians took a look at it right away. They had it in the service bay for a while and came back only to tell me that they could not resolve the problem.

I was told that they installed a few of those wind deflectors and have had same problems occur already on other Pilots. The disappointing part was that they didn't know what was causing it. So, they suggested that it be left on for now and told me that they will call me once they find out exactly what the problem is.

Any of you guys had problems like this? If so, how was the problem fixed?

·
Registered
316 Posts
RipRock,

The wind noise is from the small gap between the rubber edge of the air deflector and the hood. Looks like the aerodynamics of the Pilot is such that the wind blows beneath it and causes a wind noise. Only way to fix this is to close that gap. Some people have suggested taping it up. (Hate to do that on a brand new car.) Or just take the darn thing off. From my observation the problem is in the brackets. They look a bit high thus causing the gap. I have a black Pilot so I tried the tape idea w/ electrical tape. Really can't see it because it is black and the tape is below the hood. Sure enough the thing stopped whistling. No more noise, but I wonder how the water will drain when I wash the Pilot? Hmmmm? Hope this helps...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did the same thing only I used black duct tape. This tape is gradually coming off so I am going to replace the tape with black foam weatherstripping which has adhesive on one side. I don't know if it will work any better but I can always remove it if it doesn't. Does anyone who has a hood deflector NOT have the wind noise problem????

·
Registered
113 Posts
No Problem Here !

I have a black EX-L Res with Wind/Bug deflector. I have taken my Pilot up-to 80 MPH and have not heard any noise. After reading this thread I did check the gap between the hood and the deflector, there is NONE. I think the clamps can be adjusted to eliminate the gap, the culprit.

If I were you, I will try a little bit by my-self, if not, take it to the dealer.

Good Luck

KE

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'll check it out myself. Thanks and thanks to hockeyfox and 2k3_nbp as well. I'll report back here with what I was able to accomplish.

·
Registered
316 Posts
KEPILOT,

YOU DA MAN! Just got to work and saw your reply. Knowing that the air deflector could lay flat made me want to adjust the brackets on that thing right away. I was going to do it sooner but I was'nt sure. So took out a philips screw driver and a pair of pliers from my desk and went right out in the parking lot to adjust the brackets. Bent the brackets down a bit lower and son of a gun, that sucker laid flatter than a pancake in the middle of a highway during rush hour.

I guess I should read the instructions closer next time I do a DIY project. I don't remember reading about adjusting the brackets though... Anyway, PILOT ON!!!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For KEIPILOT & 2k3_nbp

I looked under the hood to see get an idea of what you 2 were referring to and it seems as though I have absolutely no room to play with to manipulate the brackets.

Oh, also, I found that they drilled 4 holes in total to install this darn thing. In other words, they decided to drill another 2 holes to see if the problem can be resolved. I can even see cracks in the paint around where they drilled. I doubt if it's a deep or serious crack, but it still ticked me off!

I had the air deflector installed by the dealer and perhaps I should mention about adjusting the bracket. They told me that they'd call me once they found out the source of the problem, but I have a feeling that they'll just try to slip this one by as long as I don't call to fuss about it.

I'm really getting annoyed with this problem now. While it didn't entirely ruin otherwise a pleasant and thoroughly satifactory trip I took over the long weekend, I still was rather disappointed that they couldn't install such a seemingly simple accessory on a $45,000CDN vehicle.

What would you tell the dealership to get this thing fixed? What would you tell the service technicians so they can have a better understanding of the problem and to solve it? TIA!

·
Registered
316 Posts
RipRock,

After playing around w/ the brackets, I still have very slight wind noise at higher speeds. Although the air deflector is now sitting flatter on the hood than before I think the noise is coming from the gaps where the hood curves. So I reapplied the tape, this time only on the curved corners and all is quiet again.

About the drilled holes. They should have only drilled 2 holes for the ones for the brackets at the ends of the air deflector. The holes in the middle were already there.

When you bring it back to the dealer. Show them the gap between the hood and the air deflector and if they don't see that this is the casue of the wind noise... Take it to another dealer.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey KE,

Just curious, is there a gap at the curved corners of the hood where the air deflector sits? I laid the air deflector on the hood w/out mounting them on the bracket and I see no way that is will lay flat at those corners. Is this how yours is?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi 2k3_nbp,

Sorry, I was out of town.

Just checked the air deflector. There is a gap of approx. 1/8" and is apporx. .75" long. It starts at the curved corner of the deflector or at the same place as the nose profile of the hood. Soon after the bend is over the deflector's gasket sits in close contact with the edge of the front head light. Other than these gaps ( one on each side ) there are other gaps.

KE

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
About Those Drilled Holes.

Sorry, I wasn't more specific about them. I have 4 in total underneath my hood, 2 at each ends. Looks as though they drilled 2 more holes to use to see if the problem of the wind noise can be fixed which were obviously an exercise in futility.

I'm really not thrilled about having extra holes drilled. I just hope that they don't end up rusting. I do see slight cracks on the paint, but doesn't seem to be deep. I will point this out to the service department next time I take it in.

Everything else about the car is great. I couldn't be happier or more satisfied. But it does take away from the pleasure of fullying enjoying this fine automobile. The constancy and the irritating nature of the noise is really getting to me now.

I'll report back with what happens after I take it back again. This time, they requested a whole day with the car and they'll be providing a courtesy car for me. Let's see what happens.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
extra holes

The holes they drilled on the ends should have threaded inserts installed? Are they there?
WHere are the extra holes?
Did they use touch up paint on all edges, (Like the instructions require)?
If not I would pitch a fit!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Dealer Hold on Deflector.

I was bugging(no pun intended) my dealer about my vin # because I am supposed to have a build date this week. Hopefully tomorrow:4: I had originally asked for a deflector to be installed; but because of all the problems described here I asked that it not be installed. The Sales Mgr at the dealership said they are refusing to install any more Honda deflectors because of the problems they have already had. He is suggesting either the Form Fit deflector or the StoneGuard clear Bra. Apparently this is a universal problem. It's nice to see a dealer that won't install something they know is a problem.:6:

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't know if any of you have called Honda directly about the issue but to let you know I am happy with my deflector now. I adjusted the brackets and did away with most of the gap. The deflector now has a nice curve that conformes with the hood rather than going flat and vibrating when at speed.

Anyway, the real reason for this post is to let you know I spoke with a regional Honda rep today and did mention to her that this is an issue on some Pilot's and should be addressed.

Please follow suit if you have this issue and contact Honda! It's only a problem if people tell them it's a problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
509 Posts
banningjr said:
I don't know if any of you have called Honda directly about the issue but to let you know I am happy with my deflector now. I adjusted the brackets and did away with most of the gap. The deflector now has a nice curve that conformes with the hood rather than going flat and vibrating when at speed.

Anyway, the real reason for this post is to let you know I spoke with a regional Honda rep today and did mention to her that this is an issue on some Pilot's and should be addressed.

Please follow suit if you have this issue and contact Honda! It's only a problem if people tell them it's a problem.

Thanks
Leo, apparently Honda is listening?!

I already posted this to another thread this was also mentioned in ("Sandstones are coming!), but it was a little off the original topic there, so I thought I would post it here too so everyone can catch it.

Honda salesman told me that the Honda air deflector is on backorder due to customer complaints of wind noise and whistling. I'll have to assume this is an acurate statement since he mentioned the problems before I did.

Form Fit deflector from Tim should be on my doorstep this afternoon, and Pilot was given a Friday (8/23) delivery ETA, so hopefully I'll have some feedback on the Form Fit soon.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It's good to see they are starting to act on this issue. If they stick with boards like this anyone buying a new Pilot starting in January will be able to get their Pilot trouble free. (Just like the Honda I remember.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wished I saw this thread before I bought the air deflector. After the install, everything looked fine from the outside. Once I got into the driver's seat, that's where I notice the deflector bows downward in the middle. I then take it for a quick road test, and I hear wind noise at 35 mph. AcK! Tried tweaking the brackets, does not help, and it looks ugly. I just gave up and took it off, and I hope I can get a refund. I'm interested in the Form Fit or 3M protector. We'll see.

Adam
SS EX

·
Registered
1 Posts
Air Deflector

I just purchased a Pilot with Air/Bug Deflector and had the same whistling noise. Took it back to the dealer on two occasions to try and get fixed. After several attempts to eliminate the gap were unsuccessful, I managed to get a refund from the dealer. (After a great deal of complaining) I discussed closing the gap up with foam/rubber type tape, but the technican said over time the tape will trap water and rot. Suprised to see Honda has not fixed this problem and continues to sell the noisy deflector.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Air Deflector

geadnc said:
I just purchased a Pilot with Air/Bug Deflector and had the same whistling noise. Took it back to the dealer on two occasions to try and get fixed. After several attempts to eliminate the gap were unsuccessful, I managed to get a refund from the dealer. (After a great deal of complaining) I discussed closing the gap up with foam/rubber type tape, but the technican said over time the tape will trap water and rot. Suprised to see Honda has not fixed this problem and continues to sell the noisy deflector.
geadnc, darn it, sorry to hear that you're having this problem too. Glad to hear you got a refund. But did they have to drill holes to install your deflector as well? If so, then I would uninstall that thing and get an aftermarket one instead. No amount of time or adjustment is going to fix it since the deflector can't be moved/adjusted much at all because they're fastened with screws into those holes.

Those holes were drilled to insert these, I really have no idea what they're called, things which the screws are screwed into. If these things were installed correctly, the holes should be water/air tight and just get the dealer to apply a good touch-up paint job on the area. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts