Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just been running my air conditioning, and something seems wrong. It smells kind of musty and pungent and it stings my eyes. Anyone else experience this? What is it? Is it the filter? Does it need cleaning?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
Do you have the air recirculated or are you drawing fresh air from the outside? That musty smell you spoke of is usually something you get when you recirculate the air. Recirculation might get turned on automatically if you're using automatic climate control. But that stinging eyes is something I never encountered. Was this the very first time you used the A/C since you got it? Make sure the recirculation is off and see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RipRocK said:
Do you have the air recirculated or are you drawing fresh air from the outside? That musty smell you spoke of is usually something you get when you recirculate the air. Recirculation might get turned on automatically if you're using automatic climate control. But that stinging eyes is something I never encountered. Was this the very first time you used the A/C since you got it? Make sure the recirculation is off and see what happens.
The musty is not just musty BUT REALLY PUNGENT/smelly.

I've tried in recirculation mode and non-recirc mode (I'm still learning how to do everything). Recirc is when you press the button with the picture of the car and the arrow, isn't it?

We've used the A/C before, but it is A LOT hotter here than it has been - 90's, 100's, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I wonder if the stinging could be the filter (they do filter the outside air, don't they? or is it the inside air?). I wonder if the filter is made out of polypropylene plastic (which I am sensitive to and is BTW a VERY toxic plastic...) or if it is treated w/ something...



Help, please - I have visions of driving w/ the windows down for the next 4 months when it is over 100F.....H E L P !

:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Could *something* have crawled into the air filter area? That was the first thing the service station checked with my mileage problem. Different sort of complaint, but they said very often snakes or little furry things get into the compartment, and well.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Take it back to the dealer, since something is definitely wrong. Your problem could be caused my a number of things, none of which you will be able to fix yourself. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my3kids said:
Could *something* have crawled into the air filter area? That was the first thing the service station checked with my mileage problem. Different sort of complaint, but they said very often snakes or little furry things get into the compartment, and well.........
I'll check this morning - YUCK!
 

·
Admin Du Jour ®
Joined
·
989 Posts
The AC filter is behind the glovebox. It's a dust & pollen unit and it's coated/treated with "something". When I replaced ours there was a noticable odor (indicating it's treated) but I don't know with what. The odor is slight (your nose needs to be within a couple of inches of the filter media and does not get into the cabin.

Of course, it's possible you're sensitive to whatever they've treated it with -- but you would have been complaining long ago: ALL cabin air goes through there before going through the vents (heated, cooled, or ambient).

FWIW there were some "outside world" materials on the used filter -- so it's entirely possible you sucked something in.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,113 Posts
TheWorm said:
The AC filter is behind the glovebox. It's a dust & pollen unit and it's coated/treated with "something". When I replaced ours .......

Good luck.
Did you do the job yourself? Are instructions posted somewhere? Thanks.
 

·
Admin Du Jour ®
Joined
·
989 Posts
Yes, I do the maint myself. Instructions are in the service manual. Remember, I have the MDX but I imagine the Pilot is similarly done (need to remove glovebox). Someone w/the Pilot service manual can provide more info, obviously.

FWIW = for what it's worth

Yes, the new one was treated with "something"...and that's actually what I was referring to, because the old one was pretty black (15k miles worth of black) and I didn't even think about getting close enough for a whiff. :D

As I mentioned, I doubt it's the "substance" on the media, else you'd have been smelling it from day 1. And I wouldn't characterize the odor as "pungent" -- it was a slight oily smell and not offensive (esp since you had to be so close to smell it).

Might mention that it could be just the smell of the media Honda is using rather than some sort of coating on it...but I assumed coating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
I also sometimes have this smell from my car AC and the AC at home. I noticed u live in Arizona. I live in Saudi where the climate is very hot and humid.

I am sure there seems to be some accumulated humidity (mildew maybe). If it is really bothering u then take it to the dealership. However, i suggest to do nothing and it will go away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
When they checked my air filter it was on the driver's side, I think. Some hoses go into the top. It was right along the outside edge of the engine compartment. It was a "black box" with a white, regtangular shaped filter inside. Again...they suspected I might have picked up "hitch hikers" in there, so I was standing none too close while they worked. I bet the owners manual will show you the placement..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,113 Posts
my3kids said:
When they checked my air filter it was on the driver's side, I think. Some hoses go into the top. It was right along the outside edge of the engine compartment. It was a "black box" with a white, regtangular shaped filter inside. Again...they suspected I might have picked up "hitch hikers" in there, so I was standing none too close while they worked. I bet the owners manual will show you the placement..
This is the engine compartment air filter you're referring to. There's also a Micron Filtration Passenger Cabin filter (or two) located behind the glovebox.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Is the filter A/C only?

Does all the air coming into the cabin run through this (vent, heat etc.) or is it just A/C??
We've found that the A/C compressor just knocks the crap out of the gas milage, so we run without it all the time unless it's pretty warm. When we do turn it on, it doesn't smell to good for the first few minutes, then it clears up. No eye burning or anything, just stink. Since this is only with the A/C I'm curious about this filter now.
If the filter is the problem, then this is a very poor design because the car is only a few months old and I would think that it would only need to be changed annually (I know, RTFM).
Just curious,
G.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,113 Posts
Re: Is the filter A/C only?

booger said:
Does all the air coming into the cabin run through this (vent, heat etc.) or is it just A/C....

G.
All the air that comes into the passenger cabin is run through this filter. I edited out the use of A/C in my above post. It's an HVAC or ventilation filter, but is often referred to as an A/C filter to distinguish it from the engine compartment air filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Is the filter A/C only?

booger said:
Does all the air coming into the cabin run through this (vent, heat etc.) or is it just A/C??
We've found that the A/C compressor just knocks the crap out of the gas milage, so we run without it all the time unless it's pretty warm. When we do turn it on, it doesn't smell to good for the first few minutes, then it clears up. No eye burning or anything, just stink. Since this is only with the A/C I'm curious about this filter now.
If the filter is the problem, then this is a very poor design because the car is only a few months old and I would think that it would only need to be changed annually (I know, RTFM).
Just curious,
G.
What is the strong smell that you smell?

BTW - I took the Pilot to the dealer this morning (I couldn't face a long weekend of 100F and the windows open and no A/C).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
My sister's Odyssey had a mouse nest in the HVAC system and boy did that smell pungent. The dust and pollen filter requires some disassembly under the dash to replace, but isn't too difficult. Based on how filthy the filter was in our CR-V after 2 years and 30,000 miles, I highly recommend replacing it more often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
update

Got the Pilot back and they said the service invoice says they "unclogged ac drain and added frigi fresh (???) to system".

Wonder what the drain was clogged with??? I guess the water & debris was stagnating and boiling in there in the 100F heat. YUCK! No live/dead animals - only bacteria, I guess. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
A/C fan noise

This may be alittle off the topic but does anyone out there have a fan that makes noise? If I turn my (in summer) to max cool it sounds like the AC is going to blow up. Anyone else have this issue?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Re: A/C fan noise

Mpressive said:
This may be alittle off the topic but does anyone out there have a fan that makes noise? If I turn my (in summer) to max cool it sounds like the AC is going to blow up. Anyone else have this issue?
Could be a loose piece of paper hitting the fan blades. Our fan does get loud when it is at full bore.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top