Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 EX-l NAVI...206 kmi

Pulled the blower assembly out yesterday because it was making noise. Found a mouse (dead) stuck in the vanes. In addition to the dead mouse residue, the vanes were disgustingly dirty. To clean them, I soaked the fan portion overnight in a bucket (blower side down ofc). Because it is such a bear to remove / install, I hung it from the cabin air filter cross bar to test it.

The operation is sporadic. Turned the ignition on and it jumped to life. Then it stopped. I held it flat like its normal installed position and it came on again. The fan speed buttons didn't provide any control.

How is the blower supposed to operate? Also, how many fans are actually in the car? I can hear another fan change speed when I use the fan adjust buttons.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I need to clean my blower as well. Following thread to get more tips. Best of luck on your cleanup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I think I will replace the front blower transistor resistor?)...not in front of my computer now, what is the part number for the front blower transistor?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,820 Posts
Yes, sounds like your front blower transistor (if not an LX model Pilot) or resistor module (if LX model) has gone bad and should be replaced.

The Pilot also has a separate rear blower located underneath the center console. You will want to remove the panel next to driver’s right foot and vacuum out the round lint screen.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Here is a link to the OEM part.

If I purchase OEM parts I get them from here since they sell at 30-40% below list and their cross-country shipping prices are very reasonable.

For the blower transistor people have had good luck with aftermarket parts if you want to save some cash.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
2006 EX-l NAVI...206 kmi

Pulled the blower assembly out yesterday because it was making noise. Found a mouse (dead) stuck in the vanes. In addition to the dead mouse residue, the vanes were disgustingly dirty. To clean them, I soaked the fan portion overnight in a bucket (blower side down ofc). Because it is such a bear to remove / install, I hung it from the cabin air filter cross bar to test it.

The operation is sporadic. Turned the ignition on and it jumped to life. Then it stopped. I held it flat like its normal installed position and it came on again. The fan speed buttons didn't provide any control.

How is the blower supposed to operate? Also, how many fans are actually in the car? I can hear another fan change speed when I use the fan adjust buttons.

Thanks.
There's another fan in the center console for the rear vents.

The Resistor is find number 19
79330-S3V-A51 - Genuine Honda Transistor Assy. (hondapartsnow.com)

In case you don't want to pay $115.62 for it, aftermarket parts are available elsewhere for less, about $14.
Amazon.com: HVAC Blower Motor Control Module Resistor 79330S3VA51 79330-S3V-A51 Fits Acura MDX 3.5L 2001-2006 Honda Pilot 3.5L 2003-2008: Automotive

I believe Rock Auto gives forum members a discount, so you might want to check with them.
RockAuto

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,237 Posts
The Pilot also has a separate rear blower located underneath the center console. You will want to remove the panel next to driver’s right foot and vacuum out the round lint screen.
Some pics to help locate...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every good solution deserves another problem...SMH

Successfully replaced the front blower transistor. However, the blower is not as functional as i thought. It won't start from a stopped condition - if i give the vanes a little nudge, then I can control the speed just fine. But it will be very difficult to bump the vanes once it it installed.

I suspect that I have some binding in the motor linkages. Since I spent more on the transistor than I anticipated (please don't ask), I'd like to see if I can take the assembly apart and inspect the moving parts, Has anyone here successfully done that and re-installed into their car? There appears to be some clip that holds the plastic rotor to the shaft, but m vision sucks and it is kinda rusty so I can't really tell. If I need a new assembly, are their aftermarket ones available?

Appreciate everyone's advice so far...

Pete

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Every good solution deserves another problem...SMH

Successfully replaced the front blower transistor. However, the blower is not as functional as i thought. It won't start from a stopped condition - if i give the vanes a little nudge, then I can control the speed just fine. But it will be very difficult to bump the vanes once it it installed.

I suspect that I have some binding in the motor linkages. Since I spent more on the transistor than I anticipated (please don't ask), I'd like to see if I can take the assembly apart and inspect the moving parts, Has anyone here successfully done that and re-installed into their car? There appears to be some clip that holds the plastic rotor to the shaft, but m vision sucks and it is kinda rusty so I can't really tell. If I need a new assembly, are their aftermarket ones available?

Appreciate everyone's advice so far...

Pete
Depending on how long the mouse was whirling around in there, it might have been out of balance enough to shake something out of kilter ... or/and jacked a bearing. Feel or hear any roughness or scraping when your rotate it by hand?

It looks like the cage is held on the motor shaft with a speed nut based on this video.
2003-2008 honda pilot blower motor vibration - YouTube

Sometimes you can rock/twist them off with a pair of pliers if that's what it is. I've never personally had one apart but if it won't start on it's own it might be a physical resistance, but it could also be it's not getting full juice. Have you tried connecting it directly to a battery?

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Yes, there should be aftermarket motor assemblies. Do a search with the p/n I provided a few threads back.
I helped a friend replace a blower module on a Highlander and I think that cost him $50 for an aftermarket unit.

Reactions: pstelter

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
I spent more on the transistor than I anticipated (please don't ask),
So of course I've got to ask. :p Was it that tab?

Here are some blower assemblies on Rockauto.com. Be sure to specify front or rear.

2006 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Blower Motor | RockAuto

Don't forget you Piloteers 5% discount. :)

5% Discount Code: 31517DFA058403
Expires: February 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So of course I've got to ask. :p Was it that tab?

Here are some blower assemblies on Rockauto.com. Be sure to specify front or rear.

2006 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Blower Motor | RockAuto

Don't forget you Piloteers 5% discount. :)
Not sure what you mean by 'Was it that tab?"...Let's just say that I paid more Honda suggested retail price. :confused:

Update...I was unsuccessful in removing the vanes without damage. However, once the vanes came off, it became pretty obvious that there are no adjustments to be made to the motor. Also, I did a better evaluation of of the motor's operability. While it doesn't make any grinding noises while I spin it, it has A LOT of friction and won't even do a full turn if I give it a good smack.

Bottom line...ordered an aftermarket replacement. Should be here on Wednesday...

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
Not sure what you mean by 'Was it that tab?"
Need to depress a metal tab to remove that thermal resistor unit, but then IIRC you have to twist it clockwise, i.e., righty-loosey, while you keep that tab depressed. :(

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Not sure what you mean by 'Was it that tab?"...Let's just say that I paid more Honda suggested retail price. :confused:

Update...I was unsuccessful in removing the vanes without damage. However, once the vanes came off, it became pretty obvious that there are no adjustments to be made to the motor. Also, I did a better evaluation of of the motor's operability. While it doesn't make any grinding noises while I spin it, it has A LOT of friction and won't even do a full turn if I give it a good smack.

Bottom line...ordered an aftermarket replacement. Should be here on Wednesday...
Don’t feel bad. My local Honda dealer is greedy as well. They charge 30% above list price, so my two better choices are drive 15 miles to the next closest dealer (they charge list price there) or if I can wait a week order from Hondaautomotiveparts.com (30-40% below list price with reasonable shipping rates). Most people likely unknowingly pay above list price at my local dealer because those scumbags note their inflated price as list price on the invoice.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for the late update...been meaning to close this issue out for a bit. Ordered the aftermarket blower assembly from Rock Auto - just about $50 with shipping. installed and fan control is as good as new.

Ordered it on a Thursday and the shipping options were $9.99 to get it by Wednesday evening or $125.99 to get it by Monday evening. I opted for the Wednesday delivery and it still showed up on Monday. Winning!

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Glad to hear that you got the issue resolved.

Reactions: pstelter

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
Glad for your happy ending. Bet it makes you feel all warm inside the cabin. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts