Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave my car a boo boo today - nothing major - don't laugh - I was getting something out of the glove box and my key hit the dashboard and made a scratch. No big deal I thought, but it wouldn't rub off! I barely hit it and it's like it REALLY scratched it. I looked around and noticed other little scratches like that here and there. HOW DO I FIX THEM???

Has anyone else noticed how easy that material (what is that material) scratches??

Imagine what the first door ding will do to me....... :13:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've also noticed how easily the materials in the Pilot scratch. I think overtime it will start to look really ugly, unless we find a way to get rid of the scratches.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Someone (my husband, who refuses to admit it) put a big scratch in my dash. It looks terrible. I think he ran the screwdriver across it when installing my XM. But thats nothing compared to the scratches on the plastic piece my foot steps on when getting in and out of the vehicle. I wish this piece was black so it wouldn't show scratches so bad.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have noticed the marks the seatbelt is leaving on the side posts by the seatbelt harness. I think that the metal of the seatbelt hits the plastic side molding of the car when the seatbelt is released. Overtime this will be a bad eye sore.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I can top that off....

on the 2nd week that I had the Pilot....

I got into work early in the morning. I decided instead of parking "head or front" in first....I decided to back-up and so when I leave in the afternoon, it will be easier to just leave the lot (a huge roomy parking lot). So I did...I parked, going in reverse, and backed-up.

During lunch, a buddy of mine was checking out the emblems that I installed in the back (EX and 4WD emblems). As we looked, I noticed a side scratch on my rear rightside bumper. Lo and behold, I didn't even know I that I slowly backed into a light post, one of those with cement up to your hips level. Boy, I almost fainted. I couldn't sleep that night, and I knew I had to get it fixed.

I called a place called "Dings and Things", and my scratch was fixed for $250 in 3 hours.....an actual body shop was quoting me $400-$500. he had to sand down that scratched region, and paint over it.

Whew!!!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Centre console

Has anyone noticed that the cover that slides in the centre console scatched very easy.. I took my finger nail to it and it scatches!! almost look like a wax or something on the top.. let me know if this happens to anyone else...

you don't want to put your keys or something hard on top of it thats for sure..

rob

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: Centre console

gopilot said:
Has anyone noticed that the cover that slides in the centre console scatched very easy.. I took my finger nail to it and it scatches!! almost look like a wax or something on the top.. let me know if this happens to anyone else...

I found the scratches go away after I used LVR. It's a specialized product but something like ArmorAll, but much, much better.

Anyone try some "Leather in a Bottle" from Zaino! That stuff is awesome!

·
Registered
509 Posts
grafton said:
I gave my car a boo boo today - nothing major - don't laugh - I was getting something out of the glove box and my key hit the dashboard and made a scratch. No big deal I thought, but it wouldn't rub off! I barely hit it and it's like it REALLY scratched it. I looked around and noticed other little scratches like that here and there. HOW DO I FIX THEM???

Has anyone else noticed how easy that material (what is that material) scratches??

Imagine what the first door ding will do to me....... :13:
Hey Kim,

Yeah, I noticed that the plastic was easily scratched/dinged too when I was installing my CD changer. Depending on where your scratch is, depends on what the fix is.

In my case, I actually had to replace the middle dash section on the passengers side. Seems more complicated than it really was. My wife was freaking out as we were ripping the dash piece off, but then she had a great sense of satisfaction when we accomplished the mission.

I was sick to my stomach for an entire weekend, when I knicked my dash. I know that's probably a lot overboard, but it was brand new with barely 500 miles. I don't think anyone else even noticed, but its like I was fixated on it.

I called Tim at HAW, and expected the fix to be an expensive one. I was shocked to find out that the replacement dash piece only cost me under $50, which was cheap for peace of mind.

Sounds like Tim might have to start stocking this piece in every color! If you're really interested in fixing the problem, and the cost is acceptable, give him a call.

·
Registered
509 Posts
kemc said:
I have noticed the marks the seatbelt is leaving on the side posts by the seatbelt harness. I think that the metal of the seatbelt hits the plastic side molding of the car when the seatbelt is released. Overtime this will be a bad eye sore.
Hey kemc,

I noticed exactly the same thing this weekend. When I slowly tried taking off the seatbelt, I couldn't seem to figure our how it was getting knicked up. But I guess we're not always so careful, and lightly fling it aside, and that's when it get's knicked.

I've already got about 6-12 very small knicks in that area. I'll try to take a picture when I get a chance. Haven't tried any cleaners yet, but I honestly don't think that will do the trick.

Never had this problem on my Accord, and I assume my seatbelt removal habbits are the same in both vehicles. Sort of disappointing, but I guess if that's my only problem, I should consider myself lucky!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Re: Re: Centre console

airgate said:

I found the scratches go away after I used LVR. It's a specialized product but something like ArmorAll, but much, much better.

Anyone try some "Leather in a Bottle" from Zaino! That stuff is awesome!
Similar experience with Meguiar's Natural Shine. Mine was looking pretty bad from things sliding around on top of it. I hit it with the Natural Shine and it looks like new again. I'm sure it's just about any of the good vinyl & trim cleaners would work.

Chris

·
Registered
509 Posts
Re: Centre console

gopilot said:

rob
This has been a concern of mine for a long time. Trying to be very careful in this area. I really love the versatility of the center console area!

I bought some saddle colored carpeting from WalMart when I bought the Pilot, with the intention of putting some in the well in the back, and the center console to prevent any rattles. Might try cutting a piece to fit in the area of the center console? Can stash it in the HUGE glovebox when not needed and just put it in the center console when we're placing items there.

I'll give it a shot and let you know what I think! The roll is huge, so those of you with saddle interiors are welcome to a piece of your own if it works out.

Other than that, any suggestions on cleaning/removing any existing scratches?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing the scratches - btw, where do you get LVR and leather in a bottle? I went to Wally World tonight and looked in the car section, but I couldn't settle on anything.

Also - the leather seats. I had a problem with mine in my last car - the top of the back seat got very hard even though I used the Armoral Leather Conditioner ..... anyone know of a better product? They all looked and smelled (yuck) the same when I was looking at them tonight.

Hey gap4jason - if that had of been me, I would have sat down in the parking lot and cried - guess guys can't do that though - sometimes I really like being a girl! :p

SoapPlant - Mine isn't bad enough to replace - and it's not even that big (not even an inch long), but like you, I'm fixated on it.....

·
Registered
509 Posts
grafton said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing the scratches - btw, where do you get LVR and leather in a bottle? I went to Wally World tonight and looked in the car section, but I couldn't settle on anything.

Also - the leather seats. I had a problem with mine in my last car - the top of the back seat got very hard even though I used the Armoral Leather Conditioner ..... anyone know of a better product? They all looked and smelled (yuck) the same when I was looking at them tonight.

Hey gap4jason - if that had of been me, I would have sat down in the parking lot and cried - guess guys can't do that though - sometimes I really like being a girl! :p

SoapPlant - Mine isn't bad enough to replace - and it's not even that big (not even an inch long), but like you, I'm fixated on it.....
Kim,

There's already another thread started about leather cleaning - might want to check it out. Should answer most of your questions:

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=765&highlight=leather

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=331&highlight=leather

There's probably a couple others that I missed, but this should get you started.

I'd stay away from Armor All products - I think there's lots of better quality products readily available on the market, for not much additional cost.

I use a variety of Meguiar's leather care products. Its not likely that I'll run out anytime soon, but when I do, I think I'll give the Lexol products a try. I've seen lots of good comments about them.

You might also want to check out www.autopia.com for some suggestions - real experts over there! And I thought I was OC about keeping my cars clean - these guys/gals make me look like a chump!

You can request a Meguiar's catalog at:
http://www.meguiars.com/catalogrequest.cfm

Another good catalog that I just received can be found at:
http://order.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/wg-request-catalog?classic-motoring

Good luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
grafton said:

Oh man....I was sweating big time. I went to bed with a heartache. The funny thing is I didn't even feel hitting the light post. Maybe the music was playing loud which is why I didn't hear or feel anything. While driving with the scratch, I had this feeling that everyone looking on the rear right side of the Pilot was probably saying....."what a waste.....he scratched the brand new Pilot". But I knew I had to get it fixed right away....and it was the best $250 I've spent that weekend - it eased me of the pain and agony of not seeing the scratches anymore.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Compliant about the scratches on the 1st 6000 km maintenance.

At the last minute before my Pilot went into the shop, I notice the scratch/dens on the driver seatbelt post. Ask the writter to see if they can buff off all the scratches mostly in the cargo area , cargo cover area and the seatbelt post.

When picking up the Pilot, nothing can be done. End up talking to the technician that worked on my car.
He just said I should be careful with the seatbelt when I release it and all the other scratches are my own faults.

He even futher the Accord/Civic use the same plastic. I told him that he was wrong, Accord/Civic's plastic trim is not that hard and not that easily scratched.

I just drove away my Pilot with nothing done, but only type 1 oil change.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Re: I can top that off....

gap4jason said:

During lunch, a buddy of mine was checking out the emblems that I installed in the back (EX and 4WD emblems). As we looked, I noticed a side scratch on my rear rightside bumper.
Where do you get those emblems - EX & 4WD ?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Re: Technician handling of apperance items

I've never had good luck gettimg satisfaction from dealers on apperance items. Every once in a while you'll run into a tech or service writer who belives that the trim pieces SHOULD be durable and will write up their replacement as warranty items. Such employees are REALLY gems and deserve a nice commendation. While writing the specifics to the Service Manager or Dealership Owner might be a bit much (and if it turns out that the factory denies the waranty claim...) a brief note to let the employee and their boss how pleased you were would go quite a long ways to helping others get that kind of SERVICE.

PChiu said:
At the last minute before my Pilot went into the shop, I notice the scratch/dens on the driver seatbelt post. Ask the writter to see if they can buff off all the scratches mostly in the cargo area , cargo cover area and the seatbelt post.

When picking up the Pilot, nothing can be done. End up talking to the technician that worked on my car.
He just said I should be careful with the seatbelt when I release it and all the other scratches are my own faults.

He even futher the Accord/Civic use the same plastic. I told him that he was wrong, Accord/Civic's plastic trim is not that hard and not that easily scratched.

I just drove away my Pilot with nothing done, but only type 1 oil change.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Do a search on the MDX board. Acura has replaced the plastic due to it's being scratched too easily. You could use this to rebut your dealer's claim that the scratches are your fault. Let us know how this works for you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: Re: I can top that off....

ksraja said:

Where do you get those emblems - EX & 4WD ?
I ordered the 98 Accord EX emblems from my dealer, and the 4WD, I ordered it from Toyota - it's the Highlanders 4WD emblem.

It looks cool - I actually got the idea from one of the members here....looking back, the '02 Civic EX emblem will probably look better as the size of it is closer to the PILOT emblem. As far as the 4WD emblem, I guess the Passport has one and you can order one as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
How much did it cost and how did you get them fixed ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts