Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Can anyone tell me if I can switch from my standard battery in my 2007 Honda Pilot to an AGM type? I hear computer might not recognize AGM batteries and overcharge them causing them to fail.
As a foot note I don’t drive this car a lot (once a week) and it tends to lead to discharge condition and I have to jump it a lot! I’ve heard these batteries can take more discharge abuse?
I’ve tried to find parasitic drain with limited success. Just trying to go more than five days without driving and having to jump start!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
AGM batteries don't like to be overcharged, it doesn't in itself cause them to fail, but it does shorten their life. But they also don't self discharge as fast as flooded batteries up o 20*C, so you may not need to charge them between uses. It's true they don't sulfate as easily as regular flooded lead acid batteries due to deep discharge. So generally AGM's are good for infrequently used cars (and frequently used ones) but for a lot less money, you could just get a battery tender. If the car isn't parked near a power outlet, tenders just maintain a charge so even small solar panels can power them. If the higher cost isn't an issue, you should be fine with an AGM.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
I buy the AGM batteries on advance auto's website, save 15% or more, pay basically the same price as a flooded cell and pick it up in store.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Computer may not recognize AGM? No, no vehicle's computer can recognize AGM. Unless the battery doesn't like the voltage it's being charged to and the amperage at which it's being charged, it shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
If I leave my car at the airport for 2 weeks it starts right up. I don't think the battery is going to solve your problem.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,876 Posts
Hello,
Can anyone tell me if I can switch from my standard battery in my 2007 Honda Pilot to an AGM type? I hear computer might not recognize AGM batteries and overcharge them causing them to fail.
As a foot note I don’t drive this car a lot (once a week) and it tends to lead to discharge condition and I have to jump it a lot! I’ve heard these batteries can take more discharge abuse?
I’ve tried to find parasitic drain with limited success. Just trying to go more than five days without driving and having to jump start!.
Can you? Yes. Should you? Probably not for several reasons.

Simplest reason is cost. AGM's are almost double the cost of a Flood Acid Battery.

AGM batteries do not charge like flood acid batteries, hence the reason for needing an AGM compatible charger. If your vehicle is not designed for and AGM then you most likely do not have an alternator/voltage regulator designed for an AGM. You very well could end up killing a much more expensive battery off much quicker than expected.

You might be better served in looking at something like a battery tender. You can permanently mount the ring end cable to your battery so as to make hooking it up easier.

If you are having problems starting the car away from home then you might also want to consider a lithium ion battery booster/starter to carry with you.

Best bet obviously is to find what is causing your battery to drain so quickly and resolve the issue.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
AGM batteries do not charge like flood acid batteries, hence the reason for needing an AGM compatible charger. If your vehicle is not designed for and AGM then you most likely do not have an alternator/voltage regulator designed for an AGM. You very well could end up killing a much more expensive battery off much quicker than expected.
Can you elaborate? Inquisitive minds would like to know since I've on and off debated getting AGM for our vehicles. Never taken the plunge yet.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,876 Posts
Can you elaborate? Inquisitive minds would like to know since I've on and off debated getting AGM for our vehicles. Never taken the plunge yet.
AGM batteries cannot tolerate quick speed charging like a standard flood acid battery. AGM batteries need to be given a slow and steady charge rather than a fast paced charge a flood acid can take. Rapid charging of an AGM batter will shorten its life. Alternator/voltage regulators designed for AGM usage provides a slower charge rate than and alternator/regulator for a flood acid battery.

It is one of the reasons AGM batteries don't like a lot of short trip, 2 or 3 block trips and one of the reasons we have some of the threads we do on 3rd generation AGM battery problems.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
284 Posts
yes, stick with a regular battery and maybe pay someone to figure out where the suspected drain is coming from. it could just be the battery is faulty and isn't really draining but simply not capable of holding charge or being able to discharge that energy on demand when the starter cranks over. could also be the starter is in need of replacement in that its requiring more current to spin in over. I have personally diagnosed 2 bad starters recently in my friend's vehicles during this past february's cold spell here in delaware

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,329 Posts
On a car that isn't driven except every few weeks, I attached a battery tender with a permanent attachment to the battery, which can be unplugged from the charger.

it's proven excellent at keeping the battery charged and ready to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts