Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
So which color would look best in the black Pilot with the gray interior? Something real dark to blend in for a nice transitional effect or a lighter color for contrast?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Wow, that was fast! I know several MDXers who don't like the 'fake' wood look have installed the ExoticWoodDask kits and they look awesome.

IMHO, I think the black/grey carbon fiber would complement the grey interior very nicely.

·
Registered
509 Posts
PrG said:
Hey PrG, thanks for the great link. I've been takin' a lot of heat for wanting to go with the Honda wood trim. This looks like many more pieces, for a better price, and choice of different woods.

OK, so what suggestions for a Sandstone EX-L (saddle interior)?

Has anyone used these kits before and are they easy to install? Anyone have any photos of these kits installed, etc.?

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Hey guys...a bunch of X'ers have installed these kits, along with ones from wooddash.com and joshua tree (dunno the URL). They're all similar; in fact, wooddash and exoticwooddash appear to be identical -- the parts list and part #s are identical.

Keep in mind that these are NOT real wood (or haven't been for the MDX, anyway) -- but they are an excellent match to the existing trim in the cars.

If you go to the MDX site and do a search for any of these vendor names, you'll find threads and pics.

They are quite easy to install, good quality (no issues of cracking, peeling, etc being reported) and IMO really complete the "look".

·
Registered
509 Posts
www.woodtrim.com

TheWorm said:
...and joshua tree (dunno the URL)...
But nothing listed for the Pilot yet...

·
Registered
509 Posts
http://www.suvxccessory.com/xccessory/2003-honda-pilot.html

Might want to keep an eye out on this sight too? Not much listed there, but maybe a good idea to bookmark it and come back to it every once in a while. Right now, there's only a Cargo Tray listed there (black or tan).

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
But nothing listed for the Pilot yet...
Oh BTW, as I recall joshua tree was actually a different kit. wooddash and exoticwooddash were the X kits that appeared to be from the same mfr...

I also think exoticwooddash was the first to have the X kit, and joshua the last. The joshua kit was a bit more expensive (in that the parts were seperated into 2 diff kits) but also had more coverage (and a couple better-fitting/looking pieces - like the sunglass holder and trim area) than the others. FWIW.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Pilot Wood Dash Kit Configuration from Exoticwooddash.com

Kits are not available yet for the Navigation dash configuration.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
TheWorm said:
Keep in mind that these are NOT real wood (or haven't been for the MDX, anyway) -- but they are an excellent match to the existing trim in the cars.
Looks like from this link here that ExoticWoodDash will be offering some real wood options, at least for the Pilot. Or is 'Real' just their name for real looking wood?

I guess I could stop by their place during lunch as they are only a couple of minutes from my house. Seeing is believing ;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Re: Re: Aftermarket Wood Dash Kits (Now Available)

SoapPlant said:
Hey PrG, thanks for the great link. I've been takin' a lot of heat for wanting to go with the Honda wood trim.
Have we really been that hot on you :rolleyes:
OK, so what suggestions for a Sandstone EX-L (saddle interior)?
I think the rosewood would look very sharp!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Aftermarket Wood Dash Kits (Now Available)

Threadhead said:

Have we really been that hot on you :rolleyes:

I think the rosewood would look very sharp!
I was thinking (1) Medium Real Burlwood, (2) Dark Real Burlwood or (3) Synthetic Light Burlwood. I'm thinking something with a little tinge of red might set the interior off nicely!

By the way, I don't think these pcs. look any more "real" in the pictures than the Honda ones? Maybe its just me?

Also, the basic kit doesn't cover enough for me (third row), and the full kit is overkill (overhead, glove box, etc.), I think? I don't want it to look too overdone. Plus, I think there are some pcs. missing - like the rear A/C & Audio controls (RES), and the DVD. But they look a little easier to install (1 piece of tape to remove from the back) and the price is better for what you actually get.

Nah, you guys weren't really being that hard one me - I was just being overly melodramatic! I think its a result of Pilot separation anxiety disorder? This last month is going to take forever!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Aftermarket Wood Dash Kits (Now Available)

SoapPlant said:
I was thinking (1) Medium Real Burlwood, (2) Dark Real Burlwood or (3) Synthetic Light Burlwood. I'm thinking something with a little tinge of red might set the interior off nicely!
I see what you mean, the touch of red would set off saddle off well.
By the way, I don't think these pcs. look any more "real" in the pictures than the Honda ones? Maybe its just me?
I haven't seen any of ExotixWoodDash's in person, but I'm thinking of stopping by seeing that they are so close to me. If I go, I will let you know what I think.

But I can say this... I ride in an MDX almost every day and IMHO the wood trim looks fake. Not having seen the Honda version for the Pilot, it seems resonable that they would be using the same manufaturer, and thus it would look the same.

On the other hand, in my brother's QX4, the rosewood (what it looks like to me) does not look fake and is very tastefully done.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Wood trim from Joshua Tree

Just received this email from Ray (owner) at Joshua Tree:
Hello
We just received the shadow sheet and will have it posted soon.
Thanks.
Ray
[email protected]
http://www.woodtrim.com
So it looks like there will be another option available soon.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm ....

Question I have about these is ... they look as if they are not replacement dash segments but instead the adhesive kind ... If so, I will opt for the actual replacement pieces ...

PrG

·
Registered
340 Posts
Re: Hmmm ....

PrG said:
Question I have about these is ... they look as if they are not replacement dash segments but instead the adhesive kind ... If so, I will opt for the actual replacement pieces ...
In case you didn't know, the Honda wood trim kit is the adhesive kind.

Do you know a place you can get actual replacement pieces? I agree these would be better, but I have never seen them.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't know this ... I was told they were actual replacement pieces ... Hmmm ... the adhesive kind is so obvious .... perhaps remaining stock would be best ...

PrG

·
Registered
340 Posts
PrG:

I just went to the CollegeHillsHonda.com website and looked up the instructions on how to install the wood trim kits. They are adhesive, no replacement parts.

I sort of remember seeing one of the wood dask kit makers that would accept your dash part, apply the wood grain directly to the parts, and mail them back to you. But I can't remember the site.

·
Registered
262 Posts
So is the "real" wood real?

So, these Exoctic Dash, Joshua, e.t.c --
is these a real wood veneer, or is it sill
a laminated plastic? If latter -- aside from
the larger veriety -- how is it superior to
Honda's? Also, I am planing to get Honda's wood
steering wheel. For the price (~$500 list)
I was hoping it's the real wood. Can anyone
verify that?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts