Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm new to the group. I have a question was hoping for some feed back. I want to put new wheels and tires on my 07 pilot.i was wondering if changing from stock to a 245 40 r 20 would pose any risks. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Nice looking wheels that can look great on your Pilot assuming the bolt pattern matches as well as the offset. Keep in mind the smaller diameter tires will affect speedometer accuracy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless it's been done recently, skip the new wheels and apply that money to the cost of a timing belt replacement.
To my knowledge it has not been done I could be wrong. I am the 2nd owner. That is good advice, timing belt is one thing that I was hesitant about when buying the pilot. If I wernt getting these rims and tire for a good deal ($450) then I probably honestly wouldn't even buy them. Plus I'm needing new tires soon so I figured win win. I'm no mechanic and I dont know symptoms of a bad timing belt but I'm hoping it doesn't go on me anytime soon. 129.000 miles on my 07 pilot

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
To my knowledge it has not been done I could be wrong. I am the 2nd owner. That is good advice, timing belt is one thing that I was hesitant about when buying the pilot. If I wernt getting these rims and tire for a good deal ($450) then I probably honestly wouldn't even buy them. Plus I'm needing new tires soon so I figured win win. I'm no mechanic and I dont know symptoms of a bad timing belt but I'm hoping it doesn't go on me anytime soon. 129.000 miles on my 07 pilot
Timing belt replacement is typically due every 7 years or 105K miles, whichever comes first.
By the time you experience any "symptoms", it may be too late to avoid major damage to the engine.
If at all possible, try to find out from the previous owner if (and how long ago) the timing belt has been replaced.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Timing belt replacement is typically due every 7 years or 105K miles, whichever comes first.
By the time you experience any "symptoms", it may be too late to avoid major damage to the engine.
If at all possible, try to find out from the previous owner if (and how long ago) the timing belt has been replaced.
Good Advice ^^^

·
Registered
187 Posts
And 20+ wheels are a +4. Check out tire rack and you can see that a +1 or +2 are generally acceptable. +4 is asking for suspension issues with most cars. So the savings on tires might end up getting spent on suspension parts later.

I upgraded our 2007 to 17” Acura TL wheels. Very subtle, but it sure is easier to identify out car in a sea of black pilots.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I have that same problem with the Gen 2 black pilots ..luckily mine has a silver metallic pin strip so it's easy to spot her in the corral of black Pilots.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Mine gots the chrome mirror and door handle covers, AVS Bugflector II instead of OEM, yellow fog lights and amber rear turn signals. Have yet to ever see another one like it.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Or, you could put an antenna array on the roof:

If you see one of those in front of your house in the UK, expect to be nabbed and fined for not paying the TV tax.

TV detector van - Wikipedia

On this side of the pond, expect black helicopters.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Has anyone downsized their factory 20 inch wheels? If so, is there any noticeable difference in terms of ride quality and handling?
Thinking of changing my 245/50R20 tires on my MDX to 245/60R18 tires.
Also was messing around on the tire scrabble word finder comparison site and saw that 265/70R15 would not affect the Speedometer but will these be too much of a difference?

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Has anyone downsized their factory 20 inch wheels? If so, is there any noticeable difference in terms of ride quality and handling?
Also was messing around on the tire comparison site and saw that 265/70R15 would not affect the Speedometer but will these be too much of a difference
Depending upon what replacement tires you choose one could save a few bucks moving down to 18s from 20s and the tire choices could be greater. Overall handling should be better with 20s coupled with a slightly stiffer ride. I would not recommend going to 265/70R15s but if you meant 265/70R18s there will be a big speedometer difference because the tire height is approx 3" more than stock.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Also was messing around on the tire comparison site and saw that 265/70R15 would not affect the Speedometer but will these be too much of a difference?
15" wheels likely won't clear the brake calipers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
And 20+ wheels are a +4. Check out tire rack and you can see that a +1 or +2 are generally acceptable. +4 is asking for suspension issues with most cars. So the savings on tires might end up getting spent on suspension parts later.

I upgraded our 2007 to 17” Acura TL wheels. Very subtle, but it sure is easier to identify out car in a sea of black pilots.

After our pilot hit a parked car and got fixed by insurance, there’s been a vibration at highway speeds. The body shop said they didn’t check the tire balance. I moved the wheel that hit the car to the back, but noticed that front left wheel is closer to the rear wheel than spec, but closer to spec than the front wheel on the other side which is farther forward than spec. So I didn’t cry and moan about them not replacing the lower control arm as they said they would. The body shop is a neighbor, and I like to be neighborly. They offered for me to bring the car in to check the tire balance, but I got busy that day. So now that it’s been so long, I figured I’d do the balance myself on my friend’s balancer. Meanwhile, I replaced two of the old stock 16” tires that were bald, and was pretty shocked by this. That’s a big bend for a 70 profile tire. That must have been a serious pothol to put that flat spot in the wheel. I wailed on it with a 3-5 lbs hammer to try and straighten it. Anyway, there’s some discussion here about other wheels not being strong enough. Well, this has me doubting the stock wheels are strong enough. I hope to re-balance the 17” soon.

I think this is an “after” the wailing, followed by the “before”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,303 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Feel better now? (I mean that both ways.:))

But also, Goodyears?

Bought the car with 35k miles ~2010 and integrity tires date coded right around the build date. So I assumed they were original. They were good up to about 80k miles and based on that, I went against the family mechanic’s recommendation to not buy Integrity tires due to their poor tread life. My wife sidewalk damaged one near immediately, so I’d bought 5. Then the rear shocks were bad and didn’t get them replaced immediately. The rear tires scalloped, and my wife complained of the helicopter noise the rear tires would make when I installed them in the front. So the tires never got rotated and we ended up only getting about 40-45,000 miles from that second set, around 120-125,000 miles. So I just flipped the rears so the scallops are now on the outside and put some high tread used ones to replace the old fronts. Hopefully they can be rotated if we use them much.

I just need them to run long enough to see if I can get the 17” hankooks rebalanced well. I balanced the 16” as well as I could. There’s still some runout on that bent front. So it may need to be used as a rear despite having better tread. Oh well. Just a backup set.

Anyway, the point here is to show that maybe the factory wheels aren’t super-high quality. Add that to the peeling clear coat mess, and they aren’t anything to love so much IMO.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts