Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a line on aftermarket trans coolers and/or trans fluid filters? The coolers included with the Honda tow package seem to be more than a bit wimpy; I was wondering if anyone installed a larger aftermarket unit.

Also, what about a trans temp gauge? I've had those on previous tow vehicles, and although the Pilot has a over-temp idiot light, it seems to be one of those 'too late to do any good deals.

.:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
dgipalo said:
Anyone have a line on aftermarket trans coolers and/or trans fluid filters? The coolers included with the Honda tow package seem to be more than a bit wimpy; I was wondering if anyone installed a larger aftermarket unit.
I've been doing some research on this, starting back in December when I bought a boat and needed to get a hitch. The complete towing package (from Honda), seemed very $$$, especially since, as you mentioned, the coolers are wimpy. Take a look at this discussion: Group buy for Trailer Hitch Package

While doing that research, I also came across a few discussions about over cooling. I guess some folks even install a bypass valve that they use in the winter.

Seeing that winter hasn't complete released its grip, I haven't moved on this yet. When I do, I'll probably go with the smallest aftermarket coolers. First, because they're cheaper than Honda's. Second, because I'm sure they provide better cooling than Honda's. And third, because I don't want to restrict airflow to the rest of the cooling system.

Also, what about a trans temp gauge? I've had those on previous tow vehicles, and although the Pilot has a over-temp idiot light, it seems to be one of those 'too late to do any good deals.
Find a nice place to put one, and I'd go for it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Aftermarket Trans Coolers?

gewf631 said:


I've been doing some research on this, starting back in December when I bought a boat and needed to get a hitch. The complete towing package (from Honda), seemed very $$$, especially since, as you mentioned, the coolers are wimpy. Take a look at this discussion: Group buy for Trailer Hitch Package
Yes, I saw looked at that thread. I've also looked at the install instructions; the units in the kit seem quite small. Also, the PS cooler in the kit looks like the standard one with fins. The trans cooler in the package doesn't look much bigger.

gewf631 said:

While doing that research, I also came across a few discussions about over cooling. I guess some folks even install a bypass valve that they use in the winter.

Other cars I've had used a radiator-based cooler as OEM. To guard against over-cooling, I would plumb the aux cooler upstram of the OEM unit, thus guarding against significant over-cooling; at worst, the radiator unit warmed up the fluid.

gewf631 said:


Seeing that winter hasn't complete released its grip, I haven't moved on this yet. When I do, I'll probably go with the smallest aftermarket coolers. First, because they're cheaper than Honda's. Second, because I'm sure they provide better cooling than Honda's. And third, because I don't want to restrict airflow to the rest of the cooling system.


Find a nice place to put one, and I'd go for it!
Paradoxically, that's one of my concerns with an aftermarket unit. To get the most out of it, it would be mounted right 'in the way' of the airflow to the A/C condenser. The factory unit is too small to materially impact airflow, but the larger aftermarket units could.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top