Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new set of 2020 Honda Pilot factory wheels and tires to put on my 2014. Turns out the TPMS sensors were removed and used on the other guys new custom wheels. So although I have a new factory set of wheels and tires, I have no sensors. So… Discount tire wants $299 for a set of four sensors installed. I know sensors are not cheap but that seems expensive. Are there any decent aftermarket sensor recommendations to use for these wheels that don’t require any special additional tools (such as the other thread regarding Autel sensors. I thought I might just mail order four sensors and have the local used tire shop with them on. Of course, that might end up costing just as much. Thank you.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Would the model at the bottom of this listing from Rock Auto be decent enough? The ones from Standard Motor Products for $29.97? They don't require programming.

TMPS Sensors

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand that. I was just wondering of these particular sensors were any decent or if they were doo-doo.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's true. If I go to Discount Tire I'd get some kind of warranty. Not sure what sensors they use though. If I order SMP and then go to a private shop, probably total $200 for those plus installation.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
72 Posts
Interesting.

About a year and half ago I bought a new set of tires at Costco. As part their tire change offer options they changed out the sensors for $14.95 us per wheel. They function as they should. Never had a problem with them.

Never knew these units really required a lot of thought.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
204 Posts
I think a lot of shops carry the newer 1 size fits all multi frequency sensors. they're advertised to shops as having the carry less inventory and they program easily. they probably don't have the exact same battery life as OEM but hey, good news for the shop right? they can just charge you for the same job in another 5 to 7 years when your tires wear out

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
Would the model at the bottom of this listing from Rock Auto be decent enough? The ones from Standard Motor Products for $29.97? They don't require programming.

TMPS Sensors

Get the Densos or the Schraders (after all, they are Schrader valves) with the little hearts next to them and you'll be OK. Glad to see they don't carry the Dorman TPMS sensors anymore. Two out of the four I got of those were bad. The hassle.

As well, don't forget you're Piloteers 5% discount.

5% Discount Code: 6E3EAFAFB9DB15
Expires: August 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.
pretty sure they sync up with the vehicle when it goes over 30 or 40 mph
Yup, should. Don't let a place tell you there's a "programming fee."

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is an old thread and I replaced these 4 months ago. I got the ones from Standard Motor Products for $29.97. Working perfectly.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
This is an old thread and I replaced these 4 months ago. I got the ones from Standard Motor Products for $29.97. Working perfectly.
Good to know. And of course they "programmed" themselves after driving a bit over 30 mph, and no TPMS warning lights have come on since, correct?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I have good results with SMP in a variety of parts.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to know. And of course they "programmed" themselves after driving a bit over 30 mph, and no TPMS warning lights have come on since, correct?
Yes. I told the shop I just needed them mounted and they didn't need programming. They charged $5 each. I drove off and in a few blocks the light on the dash was off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts