Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Aftermarket tires and rims, TPMS light on, vsa wont go off

8K views 34 replies 6 participants last post by  HitmanOGX 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 Honda Pilot EXL. I put aftermarket rims and tires on it. I didn't replace the sensors from the stock tires so I know why the light is on. What I'm wondering is how can I turn the vsa off now? Thanks for any help/tricks.

#3 ·
Hi Hitman, and welcome to the site.
I could always use another 'hit man' LOL

I think you are actually referring to truning the VSA back on, so the light will go OFF.

I'm not sure but maybe if the fault code for all 4 tire sensors at once will cause the VSA to shut off? Hence the VSA light on? It's working when the light isn't on.

I know good aftermarket tire sensors can be obtained online. I'm sorry I don't have the time to find a link for you, I'm at work. Hardly working. LOL

good luck!

#6 · (Edited)
I got that pesky VSA dash light off using a Foxwell NT630 scan tool. Note that I have a 2006, so YMMV, but I'm pretty sure the Foxwell NT630 will work for you as well.

Apparently some Autel scanners work too, but I don't know which models. Anyway, the Foxwell NT630 is the cheapest that does this. There's also a method jumping pins in the OBD2 port (just careful to follow the instructions exactly and not to reverse the pins since you might be looking at them upside down).

I fixed the problem today after searching around on the Honda-Tech forums about an Accord with a similar issue. I copied and pasted the resolution below, but it doesn't explain using a paper clip to jump the 4 and 9 pins on the obdII connector. You need to check the standard numbering scheme and orientation of your OBD connector. I had it flip flopped the first time. Once you have the paper clip jumping the 4 and 9 pins turn on the key and watch the ABS light Mine blinked 8 times and then 4 times...Code 84 TCS Neutral position needed reset.

Then do this

RESOLUTION:

But few days ago I have fixed the problem myself without Dealer Scanner!
First of all you need to clear ABS errors (that is the main problem why i have failed earlier).

1) Jump pins 4 and 9. (should already be done if you initially checked for Code 84)
2) Press and hold the brake pedal and switch on the ignition.
3) Wait for the ABS light to turn off and then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
4) Wait for the ABS light to turn on, then press and hold the brake pedal again.
5) ABS light should turn off, then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
6) Wait for two flashes of ABS light. If it flashes it means that errors are erased.

Check the errors (with the pins jumped) - just turn the ignition on, if ABS light does not flash, no errors are in memory.

Now the main part.

TCS neutral position setting

Do not touch the brake pedal anymore.

1) Jump pin 9 to 4 (should already be done if you just erased your codes)
2) Turn the ignition on, after ABS light turns off, quickly press the "VSA off" button.
3) After ABS light turns on again, quickly press the "VSA off" button.
4) Now shoud be a lot of different blinks and fashes and all lights ABS, VSA and triangle should turn off. The problem's solved.
5) Open the beer bottle!

#7 ·
I got that pesky VSA dash light off using a Foxwell NT630 scan tool. Note that I have a 2006, so YMMV, but I'm pretty sure the Foxwell NT630 will work for you as well.

Apparently some Autel scanners work too, but I don't know which models. Anyway, the Foxwell NT630 is the cheapest that does this. There's also a method jumping pins in the OBD2 port (just careful to follow the instructions exactly and not to reverse the pins since you might be looking at them upside down).
I appreciate that, I do need that tool, but my TPMS light is on, I know it's because I dont have the factory valve stems on my truck. What I'm needing to do Is turn vsa function off.

#10 ·
So this would esentially, turn the 'traction control/VSA off'? And I guess the light too? Cause when the light is on the dash, as in pushing the VSA button- that turns the system off, right?

#9 ·
On my Gen 1, the VSA is always on/working when it needs to.

There is a button on the left lower dash, when pushed, essentially turns it OFF. This turns on the VSA light constantly, not just when it's slipping/working.

When I need to 'spin the wheels', like I had to once in the snow this winter to get going, I had to push the VSA button- turns the VSA dash light on- when the Car/SUV is not moving.
This lets me 'spin the wheels' and gets it 'unstuck'.

So, in actuality- your light is on constantly, b/c the VSA is OFF, not On, your light is on.

When it's working normally, hit some snow of water or mud, and the light briefly turns on the dash to let you know the VSA activated- which keeps you from 'losing' traction.

HTH

Reactions: plplplpl
#11 ·
I don't really know, but OP said he wants VSA off, and the dash switch isn't turning it off. I figured if the fuse is pulled, it's off. If OP means turn the light off, that's another matter.

Reactions: The Todd
#13 ·
And so to solve it, I refer you to my previous post. Worked for me.

#18 ·
Have you pulled the fuse yet?
I realize you are a great wrench, and have done more to a Pilot then I would ever dream of, but,

What is pulling the fuse going to accomplish? Possibly turning the dash light off? The VSA (traction control), still won't work then. Not that you really need it.

#19 · (Edited)
He said he wanted VSA off. Pulling the fuse will make sure it will never turn on, right? I just read this and realized I sounded like a dick. Sorry, it shouldn't have come across as such

#20 ·
He said he wanted VSA off. Pulling the fuse will make sure it will never turn on, right? He can also pull the rear prop shaft for double sureness. I just read this and realized I sounded like a dick. Sorry, it shouldn't have come across as such
You didn't at all- come across that ways.

VSA also works on the FWD's too! I had to disable it to get 'un stuck' this morning on my 08 FWD.
But yes, what you're saying about pulling the fuse probably would also shut the dash light off- which when lit when not moving- means it's off anyways. When it blinks when you're driving and slipping- it means it's working.

#25 ·
OK, now I get what you mean. Well, I hate to break it to you, but IIRC the VSA system won't work correctly if it doesn't see a properly functioning TPMS system. I may be wrong.

#28 ·
Bingo!

I'm not sure, but this is probably the best solution yet! Brilliant!

#34 ·
Well, try the link PlPl posted for some new sensors maybe? This IS a problem.
I hope a solution for you is sought soon.

Reactions: plplplpl
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.