Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Aftermarket RES?

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  hubby45251 
#1 ·
Has anyone opted for an after market RES system with DVD instead of the factory installed one? I've seen a few Pioneers and Panasonics that look much better in terms of quality for much less that the factory one. Has any one ventured into this area?

For example, check this one out for $849.00
http://www.discountmobilevideo.com/items/item379.htm

#5 ·
GOOD NEWS!

Having yesterday off, I was unable to witness the amazing, but would like to pass this info on. Honda now has a "Honda Certified" dealer installed DVD system for your Pilot. Screen similar to the I-VES (video cassette player) mounted in Odyssey's. DVD is mounted in the cubby below HVAC controls. I don't have all the info now, but sounds like a great alternative for people looking for a DVD in the vehicle.

#7 ·
PrG said:
It is similar but for the price you can get much more bang for the buck by going aftermarket.

PrG
So you've seen the dealer installed system? What was it like vs the aftermarket?

I have the factory installed option and love it, but I'm sure others would like to see a comparison. The factory system integrates into the stock audio system very nicely and doesn't look out of place in the dash. I've seen some good aftermarket units as well as some bad ones. I'd be curious to see if the dealer installed version integrates as well as the factory unit, or if it's more like an aftermarket model.

Chris

#9 ·
DVD

I've seen some really nice head unit screens for a good price but my question is.. Is there any way to fit an aftermarket DVD in the cubby like the factory one? Does any one make one? The dealer installed one seems like a viable option, I like to hear about price first though.

#10 ·
DaCarMan,

Pioneer makes a fairly inexpensive unit that fits very nicely into the dash and matches pretty well. Here is the link:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CarProducts/CarProductDetails/0,1429,2236,00.html

The unit is black and chrome. The chrome is a dead-on match with the chrome on the Pilot dash. The black is glossy as compared to the Matte black of the Pilot's accessories, but all in all its a good match. Here is a link to pics of my install.

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1125&highlight=Pilotlesss

#12 ·
I do not know you guy's but, most of the time installers cut, missalign, jacks. The electrical system is something I do not really like to have problems with. Better the dealer to install it, that way we are cover for any damage with new origial parts with not excuses. I'm happy with my Factory RES. I don't about Pionneer but I can control all the system from the same place. clean cut matching all the interior, from the dash no plugs coming out from any place the connections for the Games (plugs) are even, no part is coming out to be hit or break. Also you have the screen to now the function playing.

I prefer original items on my truck, and cars.

but.. like the colors.... one for each taste. good luck

#13 ·
Look good with the original

Attachments

#14 ·
the extra plugs

Attachments

#16 ·
I had a chance to see one of the tech's while doing an install of the dealer installed DVD system. Very nice. Intergrated into the dash, controls on the DVD player itself versus the controls throught the radio as one may find the factory system. Same 7'' screen as the VCP system installed in Odysseys till now.
Installed cost (here) is $1995.00 Of course one may work a deal on the package if so desired. As earlier stated by colousa, dealer installed offers Honda techs working with Honda products on a Honda vehicle covered by a Honda warranty. Not a bad deal in my book, even if I wasn't in sales.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.