Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 EX with Nav and XM satellite. I bought it new. I would like to upgrade it mainly for the purpose of being able to connect a phone via bluetooth so that we are not tempted to hold our phones while driving. The disc player is also not working as of a couple of months ago. I have read most, if not all, of the posts, but they are a little dated. Does anyone have suggestions on an aftermarket that would be compatible or a way to add an adapter that would provide quality phone calls? I would like to also have navigation or android auto/apple, and satellite radio. CD or DVD player would be a bonus, but not really as important as it was in 2007.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2007 EX with Nav and XM satellite. I bought it new. I would like to upgrade it mainly for the purpose of being able to connect a phone via bluetooth so that we are not tempted to hold our phones while driving. The disc player is also not working as of a couple of months ago. I have read most, if not all, of the posts, but they are a little dated. Does anyone have suggestions on an aftermarket that would be compatible or a way to add an adapter that would provide quality phone calls? I would like to also have navigation or android auto/apple, and satellite radio. CD or DVD player would be a bonus, but not really as important as it was in 2007.
Am not familiar with the Nav/ satellite set up, is it a double din?

Am also looking for an option for an aftermarket head unit for mine.

Check Crutchfiled website to get an idea of head units available with the features you want.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Earlier this year I put a Kenwood DDX9703S in my double din 2008 VP. I've been quite pleased with the integrated Android Auto. I also ran a cheap $30 backup camera to it that I got on Amazon as the actual Kenwood cams were several hundred bucks and the performance was about the same. Kind of a pain running the cable through the headliner to the front, but I got it done after a few hours. Worthwhile upgrade IMO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought the sony xav-av100, for my '03 EX, it has both andriodauto and applecarplay with a physical volume knob. the display looks crisp and it's been a solid upgrade. I picked it up from crutchfield and paid an additional $10 bucks for them to do the wiring setup for easy plug and play.

·
Registered
294 Posts
check out Crutchfield....they have a good selection and are competitive with Amazon, usually throw in the adapter plate and conversion harness.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Love the Sony 100. Car play is so nice. Texting by voice and supports apple maps and Google maps. Crutchfield did me right.

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Am not familiar with the Nav/ satellite set up, is it a double din?

Am also looking for an option for an aftermarket head unit for mine.

Check Crutchfiled website to get an idea of head units available with the features you want.
Thanks and sorry for the slow follow up. Here is a pic

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Earlier this year I put a Kenwood DDX9703S in my double din 2008 VP. I've been quite pleased with the integrated Android Auto. I also ran a cheap $30 backup camera to it that I got on Amazon as the actual Kenwood cams were several hundred bucks and the performance was about the same. Kind of a pain running the cable through the headliner to the front, but I got it done after a few hours. Worthwhile upgrade IMO.
Thabks. Did you already have a backup cam? My pilot has one. I wonder if I could still use it with a newer unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is what Crutchfield recommends:

One issue is that it apparently does not connect to the factory amp/sub in the back of the Pilot. Is that your experiences?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, in 2003 I used the tip on this forum and had a "Logjam" CD changer adapter put on the Pilot so I could connect my iPod directly (iPhones didn't exist then!) and I was the envy of all my friends. A thousand songs AND I used an adapter to the console power outlet to charge the iPod at the same time. State of the art....in 2003.

I just got a second 2003 Pilot and wanted to add better music options to that, and I'm cheap, and Logjam is long gone. But, see....

gtacarkits.com

They make a similar but better product, one with a wired connection and one that is bluetooth. Installation is simple and the sound is perfect. I got the wired version because I like the 100% reliability of a wired connection and it charges the iPhone, so sound input and power with just one wire.

You will need to get a 30 pin<>lightning adapter since Apple wouldn't license the Lightning connector to this company. Or just get the bluetooth version if that's what you want.

Note that this using a line level output, not the headphone outlet.

I put this product in both our Pilots and it works great! The volume and song advance control on the steering wheel control the iPhone. Works with Apple Music and Pandora; haven't tested anything else.

To get the wire out from behind the dash I routed it through the side of the "ash tray" and it fit with no cutting/modifications to the dash.

Between the adapter and the 30 pin to Lightning adapter ($30!), I spent about $115.

I'm really happy with the simplicity and economy of this solution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those are great threads. It sounds like nav comes in smoothly over the phone. But, how do phone calls work? I assume that the CD changer/aux must be selected at all times for calls. If you are listening to the radio and you get a call, quickly switch over to CD and answer by tapping answer on the phone?

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Yes, and if you're listening to music and/or Waze or Google Maps audio directions from your phone source, just tap on your steering wheel control to take an incoming call.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently installed a JVC KM-M750BT on a 2004 Honda Pilot. It supported both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. The hardware consists of the receiver and a dashkit + wiring harness adapter:
It took me about 2 hours to install, including soldering wires, figuring out a good way to wire the microphone and USB cable (why the hell they decided to put the USB interface at the back of the receiver??), and deciding what to do for that light-green wire which is supposedly connected to the park switching sensor/wire -- I couldn't figure out where it is in my Pilot, and eventually decided to ground it. The net effect is that the unit won't be to tell when the car is parked, but something I can live with, and the receiver is operable even when the car is moving.

·
Registered
512 Posts
None of the aftermarket head units will work with factory sub directly. You need an additional amp. Factory sub is 2 Ohm/ 50W.
You should be fine with something like
It can be powered via 12VDC from any of the 'cigarette lighter' outlets.

Of course, you can also opt to replace factory sub with something juicier (I put a 350W shallow mount Kicker in mine), but then you need a proper sized amp for it.

Note to the prior post about the 'parking brake' wire. Depends on what brand/model of head unit you get, simple grounding may work or not. Generally, it is considered a safety feature, and will prevent access to a lot of setup functionality unless parking brake is engaged. Which means if your passenger wants to pair their phone or adjust EQ on the go, you might be out of luck. Older units unlock settings whenever parking brake wire is grounded. Newer units unlock specifically on parking brake 'engage' signal. Means you start car with brake on, it will not unlock - you need to disengage/engage it. Most people (me included) go for the bypass option. Just looks for "parking brake bypass" for your head unit brand on Amazon, i.e. here's one for Pioneer:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts