Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I'm not sure of the trim... pretty sure it's just a base model. It has 4WD and the radio is pretty basic, no touch screen/nav or anything like that.
I want to install an aftermarket radio, but I'm having a hard time finding something that's compatible with a 2012. Can this even be done with a 2012? I know a lot of newer vehicles integrate the ECU with the electronics behind your dash, but I didn't think that would go back as far as 2012.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Removing factory audio unit in 2012+ is problematic because it is kind of integrated with climate controls. Also, faceplate is kinda non-compliant being slightly narrower than double-DIN at the bottom. Some (me included) had good results removing the display unit and mounting the new head in there, There are a couple threads about this in Audio&Electronics section. I essentially manufactured a new faceplate in order to get the new head to look good. There are a few models with large 'floating' screen (Alpine Halo9, Sony XAV-8000 etc) that can be fitted in there, and the larger screen should cover things up. Still, it requires some extensive cutting and alteration, there is no straight-up swap.
My overhaul is described here:
Factory audio still in place but is no longer used at all.

Another option is NavTool. Goes between factory audio and display and provides a phone interface. But all control is via a wheel-mounted button pad, no touch screen. You do get Apple Carplay.. Android Auto support is questionable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Removing factory audio unit in 2012+ is problematic because it is kind of integrated with climate controls. Also, faceplate is kinda non-compliant being slightly narrower than double-DIN at the bottom. Some (me included) had good results removing the display unit and mounting the new head in there, There are a couple threads about this in Audio&Electronics section. I essentially manufactured a new faceplate in order to get the new head to look good. There are a few models with large 'floating' screen (Alpine Halo9, Sony XAV-8000 etc) that can be fitted in there, and the larger screen should cover things up. Still, it requires some extensive cutting and alteration, there is no straight-up swap.
My overhaul is described here:
Factory audio still in place but is no longer used at all.

Another option is NavTool. Goes between factory audio and display and provides a phone interface. But all control is via a wheel-mounted button pad, no touch screen. You do get Apple Carplay.. Android Auto support is questionable.
Wow, great install. A lot more work (and money lol) than I'm willing to do though, all I need is a single DIN unit.
I bought an install kit for a 2011, the only differences I could see were the shape of the black trim pieces that cover the A/C vents. For a 2011 there's a sharp point (where it goes from angled to vertical, closest to the radio) whereas on a 2012+ there's more of a 'fillet'. It looks like it should bolt in just fine... If anything, there will be some minor gaps that I might be able to fix with a 3D printer. We'll see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got it taken care of, I found a single DIN unit + bezel that worked fine. Not a perfect fit (meant for up to 2011) but the differences are minor. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got it taken care of, I found a single DIN unit + bezel that worked fine. Not a perfect fit (meant for up to 2011) but the differences are minor. Thanks!
I'm glad you found a solution, how did you do it so the climate control was working?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts