Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm putting a bunch of money into my 03 and am starting to worry about the reliability of the aftermarket stuff I'm considering. I replaced the entire suspension minus rack with all RockAuto parts which I'm ok with being it's all easy enough to replace but now I'm getting into the starter, alternator, idle air control valve, oil pump, ect...

When it comes to major components like these which would you go aftermarket and which would you go dealer? Also keeping in mind Honda is outta their damn mind with the price they ask for these parts. They wanted $750 a front strut lol.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Go OEM for seals/gaskets where-ever possible. In regards to things like the starter/alternator, it's really a choice of Reman or New, with the Reman lasting about half the amount of time a New one would. If you check your local junk yard, you might find a vehicle that was involved in an accident, and yank them off that. IACV I would probably pull from the junkyard, (if you can't simply clean it out with carb/brake cleaner like I can on my 91 accord). My 2c

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,404 Posts
For a car that old I wouldn’t buy Honda anything. Use the cheapest you can. All the major parts stores sell some pretty decent stuff. You could buy OEM everything but do you really need the car to go another 100k miles?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Shy away from any parts made in China and whatever parts you buy online, make sure they are authorized sellers by checking with the part manufacturer as there are plenty of counterfeit auto parts on the market. Counterfeit spark plugs are one good example. There are plenty of counterfeit OEM spark plugs on ebay along with all the other major brands NGK, Denso, etc....

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Shy away from any parts made in China and whatever parts you buy online, make sure they are authorized sellers by checking with the part manufacturer as there are plenty of counterfeit auto parts on the market. Counterfeit spark plugs are one good example. There are plenty of counterfeit OEM spark plugs on ebay along with all the other major brands NGK, Denso, etc....
If I want OEM, I either find out who the underlying maker of the product is and buy from them (great example is Honda Head Gaskets are made by Ishino, which when translated is Stone, the name of their their US counter-part, and are half the price), or buy from Majestic Honda, or Bernardi Honda. I use Majestic for the small stuff, and Bernardi for the heavy stuff where I live, and they don't assess tax (yet).

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
When it comes to major components like these which would you go aftermarket and which would you go dealer? Also keeping in mind Honda is outta their damn mind with the price they ask for these parts. They wanted $750 a front strut lol.
Mostly depends on your budget. In my case since I’m the one doing the wrenching and don’t want to do it again I prefer installing NEW alternator, starter, a/c compressor etc whenever possible especially if it’s a keeper project or DD. RockAuto is one good source for new parts that we can depend on.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
Lots of Rockauto parts will be OK if you buy ones with little hearts next to them (happy customers) or when you can match the Rockeauto maker to the OEM maker. However, one thing I would only get OEM are O2 sensors and shift solenoids.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Shy away from any parts made in China and whatever parts you buy online...
I wish they came with little flags so you could tell. I suspect that 80% of what's available is more than 50% Chinese, and that at least a few of the Chinese brands are the same hardware. Some of it is pretty good, though.

For me, it's just price / value / risk. I usually buy OEM if it's less than 25% / $25. more than the good third-party stuff, and for things like bolts and hoses where quality control is pretty important. I buy third party when something is highly recommended on the forum.

I find that if you take the real low-end stuff off the table, it's pretty easy to decide when OEM is a reasonable value.

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
Also keeping in mind Honda is outta their damn mind with the price they ask for these parts. They wanted $750 a front strut lol.
When you say "$750 a front strut", was that price for just the shock absorber unit or for the complete shock absorber assembly (including the spring, mounting plate, seats, dust cover and bump stop)?
Majestic shows a price of $165 ($245 list) for just the shock absorber unit, but $528 ($792 list) for the complete shock absorber assembly.
RockAuto has a KYB "strut plus" assembly for $130.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
RockAuto has a KYB "strut plus" assembly for $130.
Yeah, that's what I would go with.

My rear KYB shocks from RA were not too expensive and they've been quite fine.

Get your Piloteers 5% discount on top of that. Hurry, though; offer ends soon. (But just you watch, I'll bet you a smiley another one shows up to take its place just in the nick of time.) :)

5% Discount Code: 508F794D9D4F1F
Expires: August 12, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
144 Posts
Here's what I have:

Aftermarket (Rockauto or elsewhere):
  • AISIN for timing belt and pump kit - basically, OEM;
  • DENSO for alternator - basically, OEM;
  • MOOG ProblemSolver (not their KR cheap-ass economy versions, though, the real deal) for any suspension balljoints - better than OEM;
  • NGK spark plugs - OEM, but cheaper at RA
  • May gamble on wheel hub bearings (although I've had bad lick even with the best parts in the past) but I am also able to get them cheap from Honda
  • Brake rotors and pads
Original HONDA:
  • Any and all oil seals and gaskets
  • Any driveline components for me (CV axle shafts, intermediate shaft, etc.)
  • Specialty bolts (some actually end up being cheaper than aftermarket)
  • Dampers (shocks) - out of respect for how long the original ones lasted
  • Engine mounts
  • Any engine components in the future
  • Alternator belt - for some reason, aftermarket one by DAYCO was a tad shorter than genuine, making it a beach to install.
For fellow Canucks, especially in the GTA area - Toronto Honda (torontohondaparts.com) has an online shop, selling parts way cheaper than any Dealer in Canada. If you have good googling skills, you might even be able to find additional discount code that gives you additional 20% off of their list price. For some parts I found the price difference between my local dealer and Toronto Honda to be as much as 40%. That's also one of the reason I go genuine - the price difference between genuine and aftermarket ends up being unjustifiably low.
Having said that some genuine parts are insanely high - say, $300 for CV axle boot kit vs. $20 aftermarket for a good quality B&A kit.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
(y) Good lists, to which I'd add transmission pressure sensors (shift solenoids) and O2 sensors to the OEM list, as mentioned above.

If you have good googling skills, you might even be able to find additional discount code that gives you additional 20% off of their list price.
No need to be coy, we're all among friends here.
Spill the beans and share.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey everyone. I'm putting a bunch of money into my 03 and am starting to worry about the reliability of the aftermarket stuff I'm considering. I replaced the entire suspension minus rack with all RockAuto parts which I'm ok with being it's all easy enough to replace but now I'm getting into the starter, alternator, idle air control valve, oil pump, ect...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
borsch, thank you very much for taking the time to lay that information out for me. Especially that part about the genuine belt. The buddy I had help me replace that got soo frustrated with it I thought he was gonna explode!

This has been my first attempt at working on my own rig and I'm very annoyed I haven't invested in tools sooner!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
(y) Good lists, to which I'd add transmission pressure sensors (shift solenoids) and O2 sensors to the OEM list, as mentioned above.
Transmission sensors I'd grab off a junkyard vehicle to avoid getting gouged, but yes something to keep OEM.

O2 sensor I would buy a NTK or Denso. The OEM is one of the two brands, so replace with whatever brand you yank out... Avoid Bosch.

Another OEM thing which hasn't been said is power steering fluid.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
144 Posts
borsch, thank you very much for taking the time to lay that information out for me. Especially that part about the genuine belt. The buddy I had help me replace that got soo frustrated with it I thought he was gonna explode!

This has been my first attempt at working on my own rig and I'm very annoyed I haven't invested in tools sooner!
No worries, this is what these forums are for, learning from other folks pains, struggles And occasional victories :)

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
For a car that old I wouldn’t buy Honda anything. Use the cheapest you can. All the major parts stores sell some pretty decent stuff. You could buy OEM everything but do you really need the car to go another 100k miles?
Yes i would :) ..another 100k would make it 450k ..little next to no rust ... no complaints here :)

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex
1 - 18 of 18 Posts