Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heh everyone. I was just curious if anyone knew of some type of aftermarket OnStar type service that is offered.
I looked at networkcar.com, but it isnt offered, or atleast installed in my state.

I like the features of OnStar, but havent been able to find a similar service.

thx

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
As far as I know OnStar is OEM only.
Most of the aftermarket telematics solutions are aimed at the fleet market not the consumer market.
No one has proven the consumer telematics market to be a viable business yet.

Do a search on "Telematics" or "Vehicle Location" services. Maybe some of the fleet system supliers are dabling in the consumer market.

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
11,113 Posts

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: This is interesting ...

jjgardner3 said:
In seraching the internet for the above .. I ran across this article.

I wonder whatever happened to this deal ...

http://world.honda.com/news/2000/c000524.html
Maybe they found out there is not not enough consumer value added to justify the cost?

(Just a guess)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: This is interesting ...

N_Jay said:
Maybe they found out there is not not enough consumer value added to justify the cost?

(Just a guess)
In any case, the options to have those products would have been nice.

I dont even think they offer an of it in the Acura yet. However, the article made it sound like there was a firm date on some vehicles ...

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Re: This is interesting ...

jjgardner3 said:
In any case, the options to have those products would have been nice.

I dont even think they offer an of it in the Acura yet. However, the article made it sound like there was a firm date on some vehicles ...
Two years in product management has taught me the cost of options.

They are not cheap, even to those who choose not to buy them.

I like the fact that Honda resists the urge to load up the potential options and optional packages to reduce unnecessary costs to all of us.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: This is interesting ...

N_Jay said:

-snip-
I like the fact that Honda resists the urge to load up the potential options and optional packages to reduce unnecessary costs to all of us.

Although the dealers (at least around here) take just the opposite approach by ordering in Pilots with MANY options. When I asked them why they didn't have any with NO options, their answer was that they figure the inflated price will scare people off and make them more apt to order one rather than trying to deal on one on the lot. End result is they don't have to keep replacing their demo units.

:)

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is interesting ...

colorider said:
Although the dealers (at least around here) take just the opposite approach by ordering in Pilots with MANY options. When I asked them why they didn't have any with NO options, their answer was that they figure the inflated price will scare people off and make them more apt to order one rather than trying to deal on one on the lot. End result is they don't have to keep replacing their demo units.

:)
They don't order then with any options beyong the various model trim levels.

The dealership PUTS those options on the vehicles after they arrive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
OnStar

My understanding of availability OnStar is that it is offered --so it appears on every Acura vehicle that has a US destination EXCEPT
the MDX--at least for the 03 model year --according to the honda/acura US website. Like the navigation system in the Pilot, OnStar is not offered period in any Canadian vehicle. However, any GM vehicle that I have owned since 2000 was equipped with it on this side of the 49th and it worked well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Originally posted by N_Jay -
They don't order then with any options beyong the various model trim levels.

The dealership PUTS those options on the vehicles after they arrive.
I wonder about this. It is possible that many of the options are added prior to arrival. When I bought my Pilot the dealer indicated they had just received it that day (it was in back of the dealership) and it already had all the listed options installed.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
beowulf777 said:
I wonder about this. It is possible that many of the options are added prior to arrival. When I bought my Pilot the dealer indicated they had just received it that day (it was in back of the dealership) and it already had all the listed options installed.
N_Jay is correct. The Pilot comes in 5 flavors- LX, EX, EX Leather, EX Leather RES, and EX Leather NAVI. You can't order them from Honda with any other options, they are all dealer-installed. Honda's marketing has been this way for years.

Contrast that with Toyota, where your head spins with the various ordering options.

What the salesman really meant was not that it had just come in, but that in had just come into the pool of available vehicles for sales, after the dealer dolled it up.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
jay said:

Contrast that with Toyota, where your head spins with the various ordering options.

Contarast that with Toyota's sales and profits.

Seems they sell more car but make less money?
Any correlation?

And their cars are usually not considered as good value, especially at MSRP.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts