Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at some of the aftermarket Nav systems and I think I've found one that looks pretty good. I'm leaning heavily towards the Garmin StreetPilot III Deluxe Kit. It's basically a "July 2002" repackaging of the StreetPilot III that's been out for awhile (at least a year). You get ALL the maps unlocked now, a bunch of extras, and it's cheaper now.

Color portable GPS with Auto Routing and Voice.  Automatically creates routes, gives turn by turn directions and voice prompts. The DELUXE version includes 128 MB Data Card, NEW Enhanced City Navigator CD-ROM with code to unlock ALL Regions, and Portable Bean Bag Mount.  (Built-in routable basemap, Can upload compatible MapSource CD-ROMs, Screen 1.8"x3.4", 160 x 305 pixels, 16 color, adjustable detachable antenna, submersible, includes 128 MB memory, USB memory loader, NEW City Navigator CD-ROM [with unlock certificate for ALL regions], Speaker/power cable, PC Interface Cable (010-10141-00), User's Manual, Quick Reference Card, Portable Bean Bag Mount, and Dash Mount including one temporary and one permanent adhesive disk)

You can buy it for under $800 at gpsnow.com, or you can find a few of them on ebay for possibly a little less. I think the retail outlets are still selling the "non-deluxe" model for $999. With that one, you don't get the bean bag mount, you only get a 32 MB Data Card, and an older version of the City Navigator software.

Anyone out there have any experience with this model?

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Some info on web...

A friend of mine actaully works for one of the bigger digital map companies and is somewhat into the GPS "fieldtrip" scene.

The limitations of the Garmin device are manily in its CDROM based upload, smallish screen and built in antenea. Having said that, these things mostly contribute to the portability of the unit, so you can take it with on hikes/bike rides, which adds to its functionality relative to an in-car system.

I have been told that the antenea issue is big deal the further north you go & the more likley you are to be in "concrete canyon" territory.

You can read other reviews at epinions.com & there are some fora for GPS users:
http://www.ggrweb.com/cgi-bin/prn_reverse.cgi?file1=db_gps/gps_header.html&file2=db_gps/INDEX.html

I think prices for the StreetPilot are as low as $500 from some on-line vendors...

BTW my friend has a "custom" laptop set-up (external antenae from a marine system, running custom software) and a b&w LCD handheld(?eTrax?), in adddition to the in-car system in his TL (which is pretty much the same as the unit in Pilot)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yes my brother has a streetPilot III, it is very nice. He likes it a lot.
The maps are infinitely better than the built-in Pilot NAV, for this part of the country.
I think we discussed this in another thread, didn't we?
Well, not in detail anyway ("Navigating System" Thread here in Audio & Electronics)

·
Registered
173 Posts
StreetPilot III

I have been using a Garmin SPIII GPS since shortly after they were first announced and I can't say enough good things about it. The quality of the color screen is excellent, the GPS accuracy is great, and the latest City Navigator maps are very detailed... even in the smaller cities and towns not yet covered by the NAVI maps.

We have a NAVI in my wife's Acura TL and I like it as well, but to me the Garmin is more impressive because it does almost everything the bulit-in NAVI system can do (and some things even the NAVI can't) and all you have to do is sit it on the dashboard! And you can move it from car to car as you wish.

Before you buy any Garmin product from anyone, check with Darryl at www.tvnav.com - his prices are usually VERY competitive.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Woo Hoo!!!

My StreetPilot III was delivered at lunchtime. I rushed home to try it out. It took awhile to load the CD's to my PC, and even longer to upload the "selected" maps to the StreetPilot. But damn is it accurate. I didn't have time to setup any waypoints, but I was able to watch the map move as I drove. I had to cross over a railroad track, and the cursor on the map crossed the map at EXACTLY the same time I crossed it. So far I'm VERY impressed with this product. I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pic#1 of StreetPilot in my Pilot EX-L

I'm posting a few pictures of how the Garmin StreetPilot III looks on the dashboard of the Honda Pilot. In this first pic, I'm trying to show how even though the StreetPilot isn't exactly tiny, it doesn't obstruct at all. I had previously had it mounted on of the center console (about 12" to the right of where it is now). In the previous position, I was a little concerned about it being an obstruction. I'll post two more pics following this one.

NOTE: The '93 Honda Civic EX in the picture is the car that's being replaced by my '03 Pilot. Just got it out of the body shop, and put a for sale sign on this morning. I'm asking $5900 for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pic#2 of StreetPilot in my Pilot EX-L

Here's a slightly closer shot of the StreetPilot. I was leaning towards the right when I took this one, so it looks like it's more of an obstruction in this pic. But trust me, it isn't.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pic#3 of StreetPilot in my Pilot EX-L

One final pic. In this one I'm trying to show how the cord doesn't get in the way at all. In the future, I may even improve on this by running the cable (actually it'd be a different cable that's designed for this purpose) down to the fuse block. You can also "sortof" see the speaker. It's plugged into the power outlet....it's dual purpose. The cable recieves power from the power outlet, and also supplys audio to the speaker. And one final thing I'd like to point out is the mounting bracket. I found that if I turned it 90 degrees, it fit the "curve" of the dashboard very well. You can rotate the StreetPilot around so either the driver or passenger can watch it. OK, it's not QUITE as cool as the Honda Nav system...but I think it's still pretty cool. And I've been nothing but impressed with the functionality of the StreetPilot III Deluxe. What do you guys think?

As I always warn....make sure you're buying the NEWLY REPACKAGED StreetPilot III Deluxe. Don't go to CircuitCity and pay $999 for the older unit. You can get this newer model for well under $800.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Excellent

WNYPilotGuy,

Pictures are sharp. Thanks for posting. BTW you have already driven Pilot almost 5,000 miles (Sorry).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep

I wasn't going to say anything!!! LOL

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nice pics WNYPilotGuy!

How does one make sure not to buy the old SPIII? I wouldn't know the difference. Any other clues other than not to buy it from Circuit City?

Thanks!

- Rick H

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clues

Well...it wasn't a cut at Circuit City exactly. This is a very NEW repacking of the StreetPilot III. The resellers typically have stock that they would have ordered months ago. Therefore, in this case, you're much better off buying mailorder. If you do buy from a reseller, check to make sure the box says it has 128MB, BeanBag mount, and most importantly, the new software that has unlock codes for ALL of North America.....not just ONE region like in the past.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Re: Street PilotIII

Great pics.
The only reason I haven't gotten one yet is because as soon as I do they'll come out with a new one I can't live without for half the price.

I've been using a Palm based unit with an Earthmate GPS.
So far it's more work than it's worth. It does work but it's very limited.

Ideally I would love one of the portable units with GPS and a gyro for tracking in areas GPS won't work.

A good site for ideas is www.Autonav2000.com

·
Registered
171 Posts
Does anyone know what brand/model the navigation system that comes with the Pilot is?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Brett...

Numerous others have reported that the Honda NAVI is made by Alpine (www.alpine.com) especially for Honda; Unfortunately, the Honda unit is NOT available directly from Alpine. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have looked quite a bit at the after market NAVI options. Portable is nice but a different class than the DVD-based systems. From my research the only options comparable to the factory system are:

o Alpine N852A roughly $2000
o Kenwood DV2100 roughly $2000

You need to also purchase a display for either unit, ranging from
$300 to $1500.

The Alpine is probably identical to the factory pilot unit or better,
but does not have the touch screen. The Kenwood does work
with a touchscreen, but I haven't found reviews for this model to compare to the oft-mentioned top-rated Alpine unit.

For installation, you can get the NAVI dash parts from Honda and possibly do a factory-like install. Parts are under $50. Or, you can get a motorized pop-out screen and leave the radio where it is.

BTW the parts for the factory NAVI system are over $4500 if you try to buy them from the dealer.

If anyone else is serious about doing this, let's keep in touch. I just need to get info on the Kenwood unit, I would prefer the touch screen. If anyone see a review of the Kenwood unit, please pass on the link.

Thanks.

-Steve

·
Registered
389 Posts
That is a nice portable NAV. Have you seen an aftermarket NAV that mounts on the Pilots middle console just like the Honda NAV? If there are some, about how much?:confused:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts