Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1147 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
There are a few versions of that LED with the copper bands on amazon that are a lot cheaper. I know xenondepot backs their products but if you wanted to save $$ check.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks. I did look around but they offered 2 year warranty and had good reviews on the distance you get from the led which seems to be problem with some led's. I"ll try and post some pictures one i get them installed tonight.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Sounds good. I'll post a pic later on as well. Remember to reverse polarity if they don't light up at first which happened to me. For a split second there I was furious for no reason taking a chance on them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
^^^ Any concerns with heat cooking the fog light capsules? They aren't very big. Please let us know how it works out. LEDs throw the heat out the back.
So far, so good. I didn't put a thermal gun to them but the heat coming off of the enclosures feels the same to me with HIDs as it did halogens. But if it does melt I would definitely let you know.

On a side note: I also have a 1998 Corvette and it uses DRLs. The factory halogen bulbs actually melted the enclosures to the point where water was running in and burning out the bulbs. I ended up replacing both enclosures and slipping in some LED bulbs with resistors down the line. Major pain as the car only has about 3 inches of ground clearance, impossible to locate jack points, and the entire front undercarriage has to come off to even see the enclosures, but the outcome was well worth it. The point of this story was that the enclosures are about the same size so I will definitely monitor it closely.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Those LED's look good! I wonder if you can take a shot of them against a wall (like park 20ft. away from a wall and take a pic of the cutoff and spread). I would love to see a wall shot of an HID bulb in the stock housing to see the cutoff and any flares that may blind other drivers. I'd probably want to go with an HID bulb in the stock housing if it cut off OK w/o blinding people. You could always go with a reputable retrofitter. I've had Rich at HIDIllusionz do two Honda Civic retrofits for me and they're as OEM as you could ask for. My Civic Si's headlights look 100% OEM and use very similar projectors to the S2000 (they're actually Lexus SC430 projectors, BMW E30 clear lenses and S2000 shrouds). I would highly recommend HIDIllusionz if anyone wanted to go the retrofit route.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Those look like they are aimed very high. Are you parked on a steep incline?

I see 3 distinct cut-off lines. The first looks like it is probably right at the top of the hood of an average sedan based on the accord parked in the picture. The second cut off looks like it is probably even with the top of the windshield of a typical sedan. Both of those are way too high.

You're probably going to blind oncoming traffic with those bulbs.

Edit: This is what a proper cut-off should look like....

Edit 2: The first cut-off line in your photo is probably from the fogs so there are only 2 cut off lines from the low beams. Either way they are both way too high.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Gophill, Do you have any pictures of your foglight change out or some helpful instructions? Which lights did you go with? LED?

I was thinking of using these: Amazon.com: Pair of H8 DRL Fog Light LED 30w 6000k Super Bright White Projection 2014 New: Automotive
Here is a pic with LED Fog light replacement using the bulb above purchased from Amazon. I was a little concerned that these bulbs didn't have a heat-sink or fan or ballast, but so far so good and perfect for $25.

https://goo.gl/photos/LLU9C73fbHAuueBbA

As you can see I replaced one at a time so you could see the difference. Halogens throw more concentrated light on the ground ahead and the LED throws light everywhere including above my LED low-beam cutoff. I have the Elite model with stock LED low-beams and these match well.

Any recommendations for upgrading my High beams with a nice set of LEDs?

·
Registered
58 Posts
As you can see I replaced one at a time so you could see the difference. Halogens throw more concentrated light on the ground ahead and the LED throws light everywhere including above my LED low-beam cutoff.
They sure look good. Still, the purpose of the fog lights is to provide a concentrated beam that cuts through fog, dust, snow, etc. From your description sounds like the LEDs behave more like a traditional headlight instead.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks for the cutoff pic!

I've always had retrofits so my cutoff looks more like what tachi1247 posted. I'd maybe consider getting the Pilot retro'd but I'd be afraid to mess with those headlights myself...

·
0 Posts
I put in Piaa ultra white Halogen int he High-Beams, made sense to do so, still trying to decide on the low's, I want LED, but haven't committed to any single brand or style (With fan as opposed to without and so on). For fogs, I used Oplitux by Hella and I went with AMBER. I have always loved amber fogs. They are pretty much worthless anyway!.

By the way, you can remove the front corner grille with the front sensors int hem easily and access the fogs right below. Worked great.

41 - 60 of 1147 Posts