Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1147 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that OEM is still the best option, but with Honda product planners making asinine decisions of making LED headlights available only on the Elite with captain's chairs, has anyone thought about getting aftermarket LED or HID headlight bulbs for the 2016 Pilot? If so, would you be able to share where these can be sourced from?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I would think that Honda would use a standard type of halogen bulb (though I'm not sure what type) in the new Pilot. HID kits for these types of bulb fitments are available all over the place, so you can pick and choose where to buy from.

LED headlight bulbs are new in comparison to the HIDs, so they aren't as prevalent in the headlight replacement market. LED bulbs have started to pop up on Amazon. The Retrofit Source is also starting to sell LED headlights. I think they currently offer the H7, H11, 9005, and 9006 fitments. You'll probably have to wait for the 2016 model release and see which bulb type the new Pilot uses.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Just keep in mind that none of those options are technically street legal. The bulbs themselves may be DOT approved as they are the same bulbs that can be used in cars that came with HID headlights from the factory, but the assembly itself is not road legal. The entire headlight assembly has to be tested to meet all the various requirements including beam pattern, etc.

Do not just go out and buy one of those HID kits and throw it in your halogen projector headlights. The light output is significantly higher and the projectors are not as finely tuned so you will be blinding oncoming drivers with stray light.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did you get yours at Amazon? If so, which exact ones (URL please)?
I was looking at the Morimoto XB LED Headlight bulbs over at The Retrofit Source and they made a point of stating, under 'COMPATIBILITY':
Locations: DRL, High Beam, Fog Lights (NOT FOR LOW BEAM USE)​
FOG Lights

For DRL since I got the touring model they came with LED but for high beam
Amazon.com: 55W Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with Digital Ballasts - 9005 (HB3) - 6000k: Automotive

Low beam
Amazon.com: 55w Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with Digital Ballasts - H11 - 6000k: Automotive

Interior LED

Back up lights
Amazon.com: Pair of 7440 7441 T20 Super Bright White 30w LED DRL Signal Break Tail Light 2014: Automotive

Picture of interior LED https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3C1wL5JCxJDUE9WM2praklIcmd3V1lDMmotREl3NklaUHFN/view?usp=sharing
I hope this helps

·
Registered
360 Posts
Are you at all concerned about the HID Systems burning the plastic lenses on the High Beams & Fogs?

I had an issue with a Subaru BRZ I did HID's with on the fogs, being so HOT that they started bubbling the plastic on the lenses.

Vendor (Diode Dynamics) made good and replaced the buckets with glass lensed ones (at the time I purchased, they were unavailable).

I'm looking for brighter light, and to "color match" all the bulbs...

Rick

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are you at all concerned about the HID Systems burning the plastic lenses on the High Beams & Fogs?

I had an issue with a Subaru BRZ I did HID's with on the fogs, being so HOT that they started bubbling the plastic on the lenses.

Vendor (Diode Dynamics) made good and replaced the buckets with glass lensed ones (at the time I purchased, they were unavailable).

I'm looking for brighter light, and to "color match" all the bulbs...

Rick
never have any problem with hid kit

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ordered a low-beam HID kit w/ Philips bulbs and yellow Nokya halogen fogs from XenonDepot. Same bulbs as my '15 Accord. Will report back in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
So im assuming everything was plug in play?? So for the fronts in the touring you only did fog lights and low beam, because DRL and High Beams are already LED? Correct? oh and Nice truck, how do you like the running boards?
Actually - on the ELITE ONLY - the LOW BEAMS are LED. DRL's are LED on both touring models.

I've still got some concerns on the HID's creating too much heat for the covers/lenses on the HB's and Fogs - less so on the HB's than the Fogs (where the bulb elements are going to almost touch the lenses).

HID's are SIGNIFICANTLY HOTTER than straight Halo's.

Either way (LED"s or HID), I'll be ordering my lighting upgrades this week...

Rick

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wouldn't bother with HIDs in the highs... If you want to flash to pass or flash for other reasons, high beams take awhile to warm up and you're going to fry them switching on/off quickly. LEDs or a decent set of halogens is fine.

HIDs in the fogs is usually overkill-- OEM fogs are usually fairly useless other than for running lights anyway. Again, a nice set of yellow halogens is what I usually run. LEDs are an option, but for $1xx, might be a bit spendy.

1 - 20 of 1147 Posts