Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to change out the spark plugs in another couple of weeks on my pilot (150k) and my wife’s odyssey (130k) I’m going to use laser iridium spark plugs In both any reconditions for a good aftermarket ignition coils because the Honda parts are just way too expensive considering i have to switch both cars. Thanks for all to anticipated help.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
My pilot has 240k miles on it with the original ignition coils. I wouldn’t waste my money. Do the plugs and be done unless you see a misfire situation. Even after tracking the misfire in my pilot it turned out to not even be the coils. If you do replace the oem ignition coils, mail them to me please. Replacing oem with aftermarket is like you’re trying to make yourself problems. Aftermarkets feel so cheap.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow that’s impressive 240k. I read after a 100k change then I thought I was pushing it.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Wow that’s impressive 240k. I read after a 100k change then I thought I was pushing it.
Ya, if your not having misfire problems, keep going.
My factory coils were Hitachi. Other models Hondas got NGK. Denso is a good brand (Toyota uses). Ive had no issues since installing. Very pleased.
I had some electrical issue that caused valve cover deformation. So I got new valve covers and coils.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your information really appreciate the info. I have no misfires in either cars just wanted to prevent it but I’ll keep it OEM for now until I got to have issues else change them.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Do the plugs and I would take off the EGR valve and clean that out, it's 2 bolts and super easy to remove, it probably has some soot in it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I the actually changed the EGR out a few months ago. Cleaning didn’t help resolve the error I was getting so I just changed it out resolved it. I could give it a clean when I do the plugs thanks

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,407 Posts
Consider a valve adjustment. That can sometimes trigger a misfire code.
I get random misfire codes every 6 months or so. No symptoms at all. I just clear the code and go on with my life.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Consider a valve adjustment. That can sometimes trigger a misfire code.
I get random misfire codes every 6 months or so. No symptoms at all. I just clear the code and go on with my life.
i don’t have any misfires. Just wanted to make sure you do some preventative maintenance just in case but I have no problem not switching them and save in the money. I switched out the EGR because I cleaned it didn’t resolve the error code I never realized it was a issue until I put on the scanner and it had an showed a error code.I had to get an inspection done I didn’t want it to fail inspection because of the EGR sensor so I said screw it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Also as another data point my Lexus IS300 has 236k miles on its coil packs... but mine uses a wasted spark ignition system so each coil fires TWICE as often as a norm single coil. Zero misfire issues from the coil packs and double the sparks as what the Pilot setup would use.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If it‘s not broken, don’t fix it. All our current Honda vehicles are on their factory OEM Coils

2008 Acura TL TypeS 370,000 plus miles( Yes, the miles are correct)
2006 Honda Pilot 140,000 plus miles
2010 Honda Ridgeline 195,000 miles
2011Honda Pilot 152,000 plus miles

We have owned 8 Honda vehicles and have never replaced a coil pack. They are bullet proof as long as you don’t have a spark plug back out and melt them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts