Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headlight lenses on my 2008 Pilot have a case of the yellows, and while I'm thinking of having them "restored" for the short-term, I would like to consider replacement as an option. OEM assemblies are $600+ retail, which is more than I want to spend. So, I'm looking for suggestions of good aftermarket brands. Do you have any recommendations?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I put TYC on my 2011 over a year ago and am very happy.

They have the "heart" on RockAuto as well:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
If you go aftermarket pay a little more and get them from a reputable supplier, like Boom did with RockAuto.

Also, if you can get a dessicant pack in the housing behind the reflector I would do so just to help your odds. Some headlights have a space between the back of the reflector and the back of the housing when the rubber seal is removed that you can drop it down. I've retrofitted a number of headlights, done this on every one and never had any leaking/fogging issues.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
A cleaning kit in my opinion is better than an aftermarket headlight. They fog and shine out of alignment most of the time.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Be aware that changing the headlights on a Pilot is a little more involved than the two-bolt easy swap for the taillights or the three-screw in and out on ye olde glass headlights like on my '64 Valiant.

The manual calls for removing the entire front bumper. I've attached the relevant sections in case they might be helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
A $50 3M headlight restore kit, power drill and half an hour did the trick. Watch the YouTube videos first. Use the kit designed for a power drill and sand them hard. Clean and don't forget the UV shield coating at the end or you will be doing it again in a year. Pro tip, after using the UV shield coating wipe, store it in a baggie. That way when the headlight UV coating dries in 2-3 hours you can give them a second coat with the wipe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used the Meguiar's headlight restoration kit on mine a year and half ago. It turned out great and still looks great. I re-applied the protection coating after one year as suggested on the box.
NOTE: I used the mouse sander shown below to do the sanding and it worked great. I just made sure not to use a lot of pressure to keep the heat from building up.
Meguiars Headlight Restoration Kit.jpg
Mouse Sander Used In Headlight Restoration.jpg
2008 Honda Pilot Headlight Restored.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts