Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are there any good after-market head units to replace the brain damaged 2016 Honda Pilot Head Unit?

good aspects would be

* reasonably low installation cost
* ability to use the built-in rear camera and side camera (when the turn signal comes on)
* GPS Map
* HD-FM
* Android/Apple Auto

* optional Internet access.

(although a 2017 head unit would be just fine, unfortunately they seem expensive and hard to obtain.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
are there any good after-market head units to replace the brain damaged 2016 Honda Pilot Head Unit?

good aspects would be

* reasonably low installation cost
* ability to use the built-in rear camera and side camera (when the turn signal comes on)
* GPS Map
* HD-FM
* Android/Apple Auto

* optional Internet access.

(although a 2017 head unit would be just fine, unfortunately they seem expensive and hard to obtain.)
I saw you posted in the other thread regarding the 2017 blackbox in a 2016 model; not sure why you're creating another thread to basically discuss the same thing. However, I think you're off on your pricing understanding. If you want all of that in any aftermarket headunit, I think you're going to be a fair bit north of $500 unless you get a ghetto cheap Pyle unit or something equivalent to that (or used). Not saying there aren't decent options out there; but, I would expect to spend roughly $1000 for something quality, maybe a little more depending on brand. Not to mention, aftermarket units are going to have some compatibility issues since the factory headunit controls much of the vehicle's settings and features.

My base of $500 was used as that is roughly what I paid for my 2017 blackbox.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[I first posted in the 2017 head unit thread, and then changed my mind, realizing that I was asking for something perhaps a little different. so I deleted it there. boy, you guys are quick!]

I was thinking $500-$1,000 installed. I searched on google for a source of a 2017 head unit, but only found >$1,000 head units. With installation, I figured I was looking at $1,200-$1,500 then. I wish I could find a $500 2017 head unit...I would indeed purchase it and be done with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is one huge advantage to gain if it would be possible to install an aftermarket head unit.
You could forget everything about the crappy stereo installation and the problems of how to update it and get proper sounding system. It would come with nice analog line level RCA outputs to connect any amplifier etc.
I've seen units with back up camera connectors, mics for hands free, etc. But I don't think it can be done without jeopardizing the stuff that's incorperated into the stock head unit (like door controls, keyless, etc etc).
It seems I will be forced to install a separate head unit somehow to be able to make the sound system sound proper.

Has anyone ever swapped the head unit to lets say a Pioneer AVH-X8800BT?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts