Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Just got my hands on a 2008 with 50,000 miles on it. Everything is mint except the stereo, so that's the first to go.
I have the full entertainment setup, without Nav.
Once I install this Kenwood head unit, am I still going to be able to use the entertainment system?? I'm not sure there would be a way to select DVD/AUX with this receiver...
I'm alright if it can still be controlled with the rear buttons/remote, and I'm also alright with removing the DVD receiver in the dash as I'll probably just hookup an old SNES to the screen for a laugh. Just want to make sure I won't be cutting the power off to it or something.
Looked through a few threads and couldn't find something specific enough for what I'm asking.
I'm interesting in this kit:
SWRHN-62D
But not sure if that will help, as I already have a steering wheel control adapter from my last vehicle, and just the harness is about a third the price.

I'm super new with this vehicle, so let me know what you think. Feel free to move this thread if I put it in the wrong spot.
Cheers!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Don't shoot the messenger, but AFAIK you'll lose the stock RES (Rear Entertainment System) with a new head unit. You'll also lose the factory subwoofer. :(

I'm sure our resident audio system expert @scorrpio will soon chime in with some suggestions.:)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Ok, chiming in :) You do not mention exactly what Kenwood model are you going for. The great news is that '08 is fully double-DIN compatible, so physically, it is a straight up swap. Wiring might have some quirks though, but do not hesitate to ask.
The head unit is pretty much the center of things for RES. The roof screen, the aux jacks in back of armrest, the DVD player - they all talk to the head and are controlled by it. I unfortunately do not have the service manual for '08 with pinouts/diagrams. By my understanding, head gets composite A/V input from AUX jacks and DVD module, controls DVD module, can optionally take control from the overhead unit pop-out remote, and can output video to the overhead screen.
Many better aftermarket head units can take an A/V AUX input so your RES AUX jacks can be wired to those. Some units also feature an output to a rear screen, so you might be able to send video to the OEM ceiling screen. For example, my Alpine ILX-207 has full rear entertainment capability, but its video output is HDMI.
The mega question is: how much use are you REALLY expecting RES would get? I got two kids and we do longish (over an hour) trips fairly often, but their tastes wildly differ and they are each on their phone/tablet/Switch streaming Youtube, Disney+, Netflix or whatever. I toyed with an idea of getting a nice sized (like 17") flip down HD screen, but realized it would see zero use.

The subwoofer part is easy - you can either buy a compact sub amp like this:
And power it off your accessory outlet - it should drive the factory sub easily.
Or you can get a sub upgrade (any 10" shallow mount should do) and use a proper amp to power it. It really all depends on how much an audiophile are you.

For the steering wheel: I STRONGLY suggest you consider a Maestro unit instead. Maestro SW is about same price as the CRUX unit, but it will work with practically ANY car model, just needs a firmware flash. If something ever happens to the Pilot you can take out the Kenwood head along with the Maestro to another car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, what an answer. Thanks so much dude, lots of info.
Long story short, since you answered some of my follow up questions, no the RES will not be used that much. I was going to have it more as a laugh for my buddies in the back, but being to have my bluetooth head unit is more worth it.
It's a Kenwood DPX503BT. I actually have a steering wheel control adapter from my last vehicle, the AXXESS ASWC-1.
The Crux doesn't need wires to be spliced as far as I can see, but I'm not worried about that. I was more stoked if it would keep some other features for being 10x the price as my harness and ASWC-1...
I would love to be able to power the factory sub in the easiest way possible. I don't need anything fancy. I'm guessing I'd have to do more splicing into a headphone jack for that little amp? Or maybe just find one that is crimp connection for input and output?

Thanks again, really appreciate it!

·
Registered
751 Posts
DPX503BT is pretty basic, no video features, no Apple Carplay/Android Auto. So definitely will not work with the roof screen. I see that is has a front aux 3.5mm input - not sure if you can wire the RES rear jack to the unit.

To connect that sub amp you will need a cable like this:
RCAs go into the sub preamp outputs on the Kenwood,

For power, you can just use this:

The only wires you will need to split out are the wires going to the sub. They will be on a separate connector.
I found this post here showing connectors and pinouts in a 2006, looks like wires 1 and 8 on connector B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts