Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a Pilot at some point in the next year or so, and will probably get an EX-L. Since Crutchfield and others are showing adapters for the 3rd gen, I will be replacing the head unit in the Pilot with one of my own. I don't use FM, satellite or any of that, so any antenna issues won't be that big of a deal. The replacement will be one of the units that has Android Auto capability, and playback of high-res music from a USB stick or SD Card. I use a Pioneer 4200NEX in my CR-V at the moment, and it would just be a newer version of that. I've retained steering wheel controls through use of a commonly available adapter.

I just wondered if I'm losing any factory features with the head unit. I really would prefer to get a 2nd gen Acura RDX or 3rd gen MDX over a Pilot, but the head unit is not replaceable in either of these, since so much in the vehicle is tied into them. But on the Ridgeline and Pilot, it appears the radio can be changed, and it might not be tied to anything other systems in the vehicle.

If I do end up with a Pilot and make the swap, I'll post a build thread here. I ended up with the Pioneer 4200NEX, a small Kenwood class D 50w x 40 power amp, Morel component speakers, and a Focal bombA subwoofer in the CR-V, and it sounds way better than the stock CR-V system. It was a little tricky to install (I'm not as limber as I was 30 years ago!) but the results were well worth it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am 60 years old now and have purchased 4 or 5 car stereos from Crutchfield over the years dating back to the mid 80's. Always have been pleased with the results. I have a 2017 Pilot EX now but I don't have any current plans to swap that stereo out just now. Just got thru upgrading my wifes 2009 Camry stereo to a DVD unit with Apple carplay. She loves the hands free phone capability and Sirius XM.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am 60 years old now and have purchased 4 or 5 car stereos from Crutchfield over the years dating back to the mid 80's. Always have been pleased with the results. I have a 2017 Pilot EX now but I don't have any current plans to swap that stereo out just now. Just got thru upgrading my wifes 2009 Camry stereo to a DVD unit with Apple carplay. She loves the hands free phone capability and Sirius XM.
I'm not quite 60 yet but I have only a handful of years to go. ? But I remember being in high school and buying my first car audio upgrade--an under-dash cassette player from Radio Shack, on sale for $19.99, installed in our '73 Catalina. It all grew from there, and I had the Sony CDX-R7 (first CD in-dash player) in one of my cars around 1986 or so. I got the speakers I wanted for my CR-V build from Crutchfield, although their fit indicator burned me on a set of Polk component speakers that were built in such a way that the woofer basket would not clear the opening in the door. They looked pretty cool though, so I've held onto them for a future project. (I may even build a cabinet for them, if Polk would provide me with the Thiele-Small parameters of the woofer.) I may even go the route of getting a MiniDSP to tune the interior of the CR-V, or whichever my next car might be.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes, I know what you mean. I had to slightly modify the bezel for my wifes Jensen DVD receiver to get it to fit right in her Camry. Looks good now though.

·
Registered
418 Posts
see here

1 - 5 of 5 Posts