Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mounted aftermarket foglights or driving lights? Be interested in where you mounted them.I'm thinking of mounting a set of amber Hellas.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thinking about doing fogs and a light bar. Better quality light bar plan on doing in center bottom grill area. Fogs I might just get some Lamin-x and then rewire them. I got the connector information from dealer so I could wire up aftermarket Hella relayed harness as plug in option. This way fogs can turn on with parking lights and stay with high beams. Easy swap back of needed later. Light bar (either diode dynamics or baja designs) would be high beam triggered.

All my cars had/have Hella DE fogs with HID conversion. No blinding others and covered everything. The new Morimoto XB LED fogs are about the same size but shallower and look like a good pattern. Getting a set for Dad soon, he wants to try them. They could also mount pretty easy in lower grill areas

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm planning on mounting Hella F550's. Had them on previous vehicle. I remember driving in a snow storm with them; they were fantastic!
Some years ago,on the Hella website I found a lightbar. Can't find it now, though.
Let me know which bar you use.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Had the 550 and 500's on many vehicles, as well as Rally 1000 driving. For fog and general light the DE is much better coverage. With 3000k HID's in the DE they blow them away.

Many of the LED bars and small pods IMO just glare and flood too much. I'm more focused on actual performance of what i want on dark highways then the appearance for others. obviously don't want ugly either.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
If Morimoto has an XB that fits the 3rd gen Pilot, grab that. I have it for the 2nd gen and it's a very nice setup. High quality, easy factory style adjustment, plug and play.

If you are seeking additional light I'd look at two different lights...

-Rigid D series SAE fog light. I have had these on the Sonata for a couple years, they provide excellent width, I've only been flashed a couple times when I am cresting a hill. The beam pattern is perfect for a fog light. I have the yellow covers I throw on if it's raining/snowing/foggy and dark out to help with visibility.

-The Hella De fogs, either with a halogen bulb or with a PNP HID bulb installed. I've used these multiple times before and have always been totally satisfied with the looks, the size and the performance.

Whatever you go with it is imperative that you have the proper beam pattern and it is aimed properly. If you cannot achieve either of those than the lights are only suitable as supplements to the high beams, which is fine and I've run multiple light bars in this manner. But do not go blinding other drivers, it's rude and dangerous. PSA over.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If Morimoto has an XB that fits the 3rd gen Pilot, grab that. I have it for the 2nd gen and it's a very nice setup. High quality, easy factory style adjustment, plug and play.

If you are seeking additional light I'd look at two different lights...

-Rigid D series SAE fog light. I have had these on the Sonata for a couple years, they provide excellent width, I've only been flashed a couple times when I am cresting a hill. The beam pattern is perfect for a fog light. I have the yellow covers I throw on if it's raining/snowing/foggy and dark out to help with visibility.

-The Hella De fogs, either with a halogen bulb or with a PNP HID bulb installed. I've used these multiple times before and have always been totally satisfied with the looks, the size and the performance.

Whatever you go with it is imperative that you have the proper beam pattern and it is aimed properly. If you cannot achieve either of those than the lights are only suitable as supplements to the high beams, which is fine and I've run multiple light bars in this manner. But do not go blinding other drivers, it's rude and dangerous. PSA over.
As Cintocrunch has, just please make sure you get correct beam pattern and aimed for what you are trying to improve (fog, extra with low beam, high beam distance). The light bar craze is getting annoying on the roads real fast with crazy glare. Worse than cheap HID in poor reflector headlights. I had one guy today driving in misting rain in a pickup with hood (by windshield) mounted curved bar on. crazy glare and blinding everybody.

Like the Rigid's. Baja Designs Squadron are only 3" x 3". The wide cornering is a fog pattern, flattened out and real wide. You can also change lenses if you want clear or a driving/fog combo (that should be only be with high beam due to distance). S2's are small rectangle, S1 is 2" x 2". The light bars are pricey but bright.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts