Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here made any changes to the suspension (shocks, etc) in order to make their Pilot more off-road worthy? We are at a point that we need to replace the shocks (they are completely blown) after 4 years and we want to check all of our options. Ideally if we can lift the car a couple inches that would be great but would be happy with more robust and capable suspension. We don't do much off roading, but a few of our favorite camping spots are in more remote places and require a bit more off road capabilities. I think because this is the first SUV I have ever driven the idea that my shocks are blown after 4 years feels uncomfortable. My read on it is that the car is just much heavier and the parts are primarily tuned toward city/highway driving and not really meant for any sort of repeated off-road trips. That being said I wanted to replace the parts with more off-road worthy ones if possible. Anyone have any input on this? Experiences?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shocks blown after 4 years doesn't sound right/good at all.. Is your Pilot sagging?
It is "slushy" in the front. I have been noticing a softness or forward roll so I wasn't super shocked (no pun intended) but it was a bit of a surprise after owning so many Hondas over the years. I am pretty disappointed about it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The Honda Passport is based on the Pilot. It sits a bit over 1 inch taller than the Pilot. You could check the part numbers of shocks, struts, springs, etc and see if there is a difference. You may be able to add some of those to your Pilot and get the higher height and a bit more off road capability.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah, my '19 touring is sagging, and sloshy - started off so tight & crisp. And now the suspension changes have already affected my 7k-mi tires!

Asking at a performance shop, he said he only found stock coilovers, no one making specialty setups. Unless I wanted custom adjustable etc coilovers. How would we find out about passport fitting, are they better?

But a lot of people are lifting their Pilots & Ridgelines, I wonder what they're doing about the coilovers?

·
Registered
3 Posts
A guy on YouTube "JonDZ Adventuring" has been doing an outstanding series of videos on his Passport. He has lifted it, a little at first then more later, but what is great about it is that he provides details on what he has done. He also has a website https://crossoverlanding.com/ that provides some other information outside of his YT channel.

I find his approach and opinions to be well balanced and in the case of myself, when my Pilot is out of warranty, will probably do some of the more minor mods he has done. I too would like to get my Pilot a little more off road than what stock will allow and I think his is probably the best researched data I've found to date.

There are ready to use kits for the Pilot/Passport/Ridgeline family that can lift a little or a lot. Also there are things like skid plates, etc that will provide protection.

I have a legitimate need to be able to off-road as I need to access remote lake property in North Idaho - which is off some forest service and non-maintained roads. His videos were inspirational, and were part of my decision to buy my pilot.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This guy (IG: AWD.NV) recently swapped his Pilot shocks for Passport. http://instagr.am/p/CKyJK0Ogp9m/
He thought that there was no increase in shock travel. They just made a body of the shock a bit longer. Reach out to him to see how it goes after the switch.

I imagine the aftermarket shocks will appear a little bit later as the model ages and there a demand for replacement parts.

If you look at 2013-2015 model, there are at least two hocks out there. Bilstein even offers two models: EOM replacement B4 and a more performance oriented B6.

Have you towed much with your Pilot? What about extra weight: carry 7-8 people, heavy loads, loaded bike racks, etc. Just curious.

I am using my 2019 for light overlanding. It is lifted 2 inches but with otherwise stock suspension. I am curious how long before I need to get new suspension.

·
Registered
121 Posts
swapped his Pilot shocks for Passport.
Interesting.... as you go thru his posts he gets to where it's finished & doing well & comments on the results.
as the model ages and there a demand for replacement parts.
The 3rd gen has been going since '16, we're up to '21, and no replacement parts for the shocks. Disappointing. Amazing actually considering how many people want to lift them, or do more with them.

I haven't done anything rough w/mine. No towing, no cargo hitches, no heavy cargo, usually just me in it. She's occasionally gone off-road, dirt roads to a lake or exploring, but nothing extreme. Many of them places my '98 v6 accord went, even at 300k miles.

It started having some vibration issue early on, dealer says 'we don't feel it'..... Interestingly a transmission shop owner near my office, who also has dragsters, went for a test drive w/me early on & said it was the suspension (he felt that the vibration changed going over bumps - things like that could be disastrous in his dragsters.) And now my alignment recently was all wonky, new a/t tires are horribly worn in not quite 7k miles! I also had a wild wheel bearing whine (worse going right). It isn't whining so much in the cold, but I tested it yesterday, and yes, it's still there. Altho usually more growly now.

Interesting about the PP coil-overs, tho.... I saw a video about the RL's, and their support structures are built much heavier, might not be an easy adaptation. about 8:15 & 12:15 he gets into details.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts