Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone install an aftermarket CD changer?

They seem to offer better features than the Honda changers and are much cheaper.

Disadvantage: rf modulation, but I don't think there will be a noticeable difference in sound given the road noise.

I'm thinking of putting in a Sony changer and am wondering if anyone has done this? If so, where did you mount the changer? The control/display pad?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I installed an xm radio today and it uses a fm mod. I mounted it on the DVD player. I have enclosed a photo of it. The deck on the EX-L RES has an open bay for a changer control and I was told today by the installer that it would work with an Alpine changer.

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
Kemc, you are correct and it's great to point out that there are other options for adding a changer, but I think Dano is more concerned about the features that an aftermarket control unit offers more than the deck itself. An aftermarket deck plugged into the factory head unit wouldn't give you any additional functionality.

Chris

·
Registered
39 Posts
Chris,

The installer today told me that the changer could be controlled by the head unit if plugged into the open bay on the back of the radio. He showed me the Accord adapter that he uses. He said it should work and he told me that he would mount the changer in the glove box or under the passenger seat and might also try in the back in the storage area. The adapter runs about $90.00. This is a suggestion.:)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Vasoline

Hey,

Did the installer kiss you first? You can install this yourself in about 30 minutes. An adapter (Blitzsafe, Peripheral "HONIL":

http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/list/t/CD Changer Interface Adapters

, etc.) would run you $50.00 max ($30.00 Blitzsafe adapter on eBay), an Alpine CHA-S634 would run you about $229.00 (and you could play MP3s) and an Alpine AI-Net - M-Bus Adapter Cable would cost about $ 10.00 (Circuit City). I would recommend mounting the CD Player under the Driver's Seat as an OEM Unit would be.

This thread may help:

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/s...=685&perpage=15&highlight=player&pagenumber=1

·
Registered
39 Posts
thankyou for the info...i was installing an xm radio and had to have a pro do it. That is when I saw the back of the deck. I was responding to the ? of the thread.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe it's just me, but I have a problem shelling out that kind of money for a 6 (or even the 8) cd changer that is offered by Honda. Same goes for adding the Alpine with the adapter cables.

For CD playing, the head unit stinks. It doesn't display song time, it doesn't allow you to name discs, and most importantly (to me), with the changer attached you can't random play all the discs.

Why would I want a changer that can't shuffle? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

That's why I was interested in if anyone has installed a true aftermarket cd changer, not the honda compatible units.

I'll probably pick up a Sony RF modulated 10 disc changer. I'm willing to trade the rf modulation for better features, but I am really interested in where the changer's display can be mounted without looking "too" aftermarket.

·
Registered
43 Posts
DVD/MP3 Changer

Here is what I think. Get a DVD/MP3 changer like the Kenwood KDV-C810 and link it up to the factory head unit with a after market changer interface kit and add a flip down LCD. This setup will take care of both MP3 and video playback. :2: For those who has NAV, you may even be able to hack in to the system to use the NAV screen too. :D

Ok, back to reality, will this setup actually work? It sounds good in my head but has anyone actually try this before?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Options

Another option:

I spoke with someone at Blitzsafe yesterday. He told me that they carry a new CD Interface cable that will let you plug directly to the RCA jacks for XM Radio or MP3 Player (NEO Jukebox, Portable IPOD). Ths part # is SON-AUXB1. This eliminated the need for RF. It is not listed on the website yet.

He also informed me that they have a double cable (HON-ALP-DMX-BID-CD-AUX) which allows you to connect an Alpine CD Changer + an XM Radio or Jukebox. You would activate both with the CD Changer button on the Head Unit and use the track changer on the HU or Steering wheel to toggle to each unit. The actual controls for each unit would be used to change the songs.

With the XM or Jukebox, you would have a display to change your songs, channels...just couldn't use the steering wheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts