Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tested the ASG sports rack roof rack out? Their website says it will fit 2016 to 2019 and it's only 159$. Debating if I should get the honda one for 259 or save 100 bucks and get the aftermarket one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Don't know about quality or performance, but that one sure looks about as Ugly as you can get IMO. I'd go for the OEM with the roof rails based on looks alone, but that's me.

Although as an alternative, the OEM ones that go on without the roof rails if you don't have them and don't want to add them look reasonably nice, way nicer than those Brightlines ones, I could live with them if I had to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know about quality or performance, but that one sure looks about as Ugly as you can get IMO. I'd go for the OEM with the roof rails based on looks alone, but that's me.

Although as an alternative, the OEM ones that go on without the roof rails if you don't have them and don't want to add them look reasonably nice, way nicer than those Brightlines ones, I could live with them if I had to.
I asked asg if they have it in black but they said no... yeah I am opting in for the honda version but just need to make sure it fits my 2016

·
Administrator
15,511 Posts
There are tons of cheao ebay bars out there. They look awful pretty quick.

My bias is either Honda or Thule or Yakima. Its not just the bars, its the accessories that you have to mount to them.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I did a cheap crossbar set on our Rogue that looked exactly like OEM... well the OEM ones and these are both painted silver. The aftermarket ones started flaking away within a year.

Since then I have sucked it up and only purchased OEM. I would only consider Thule or Yakima if they had a nice aerodynamic bar setup that does not extend beyond the feet. I hate the bars that stick out 6" on either side of the car, it looks unrefined and tacked on, like it doesn't belong.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Since I carry a lot of things on my roof rack, I ended up going with the Thule Aerobar option. I NEED the overhang of the bar past the foot to secure the cargo straps, particularly since there isn't the common fore-and-aft roof rail with gaps to put lines through. Also the OEM racks and any others that use the built-in attachment points are very limited due to the fixed attachment points -- you can't get the front bar very far forward to balance loads like canoes and boat masts. Biggest downside is that damn rear spoiler which gets in the way if you load the rack from the rear, which is usually required for loading & unloading canoes by yourself.

But as they say YMMV...
https://live.staticflickr.com/7811/47572461931_83d13477e0_h.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
We had a roof rack and crossbars installed on ours when we bought it and they do not adjust. I would not have spent the money if I had known that. I finally broke down and drilled holes in my rooftop carrier to make it fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts