Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

161 - 180 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Please let us know how the installation goes and post some pics!
So far the installation is going down the crapper. First Honda dealer was not able to remove the drivers side armrest. Going to try another dealer on Saturday

·
Registered
63 Posts
So I called the Honda dealer I bought the Pilot from. Service manage said they have never removed one and do I have instructions on how to do it? LOL

I'm not feeling too confident

Ugh. This mod may be moving down on my priority list based on your experience. It's too bad because the aftermarket product looks really nice, but if de-installation of the old ones is this tough I'm just going to live with the skinny armrests. I had no idea that the passenger side non-ratcheting one would be so difficult to remove as well.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ugh. This mod may be moving down on my priority list based on your experience. It's too bad because the aftermarket product looks really nice, but if de-installation of the old ones is this tough I'm just going to live with the skinny armrests. I had no idea that the passenger side non-ratcheting one would be so difficult to remove as well.
I'm bagging having Honda do it since the other dealer has no idea how to remove it. The first dealer only had a picture from Honda for instructions with a 37 degree mark. I did talk to Jim at JJ, he did say it can be difficult to remove. I'm going to try a shot of DW40 on the shaft to see if that does anything. The trick is perfectly lining up the keyway. I going to keep trying until I get it off. The new armrest look Great!

As far as the passenger side goes I just need to remove the clips at the bottom so I can get to the zipper

I'll keep plugging along this weekend and I'll let you know how I make out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just a quick follow up. I went to a third Honda dealer over the weekend to see if the couple replace the drivers side armrest. Didn't happen, service manage came out after 20 minutes and said they were not able to remove it. If they spent any longer they would have had to bill me. Which I think is a crock. I said to the guy if a Honda dealer can't remove a Honda part who can? I got a blank stare. I'm not holding much hope:frown:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Another quick follow up......I did find a Honda dealer who could removed the armrest. However they were not able to put the new one on. They said the shaft is different, they brought me out to the floor to show me. We tried for 5 minutes to get the new one in. Attached is a photo of the two. The bottom one is the new armrest. I guess they felt bad for me and they only charged me $20.00. We put the Honda armrest on and I left. I contacted Jim and sent him the photo. He just called me and said it WILL fit, I don't see how since the shaft seems so different but I'm going to give it another try. He checked the part numbers and said nothing has changed. I'll give it a shot this weekend, if I knew it was going to be this much of a PITA I would have never bought them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
I think that will fit. I don’t think they pushed it in hard enough to get through the keyway. The flat part of the sprocket (one of the sides is flat) needs to be at the same angle and push HARD.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think that will fit. I don’t think they pushed it in hard enough to get through the keyway. The flat part of the sprocket (one of the sides is flat) needs to be at the same angle and push HARD.
Thanks, hopefully it comes off easier now. I'll give it another shot over the weekend

·
Registered
629 Posts
I just came back from the dealer and sat in a 19. Frankly, if those armrests would fit in a 16+ there is no point in another option. If I were keeping my Pilot I would order a set now. That being said, it's unlikely that's enough to get me in another one lol

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
One last follow up, the armrest now comes off it about 5 seconds now. I guess the first time is the real *****. Today I removed the factory one and a few seconds later I had the after market on. I'll do the passenger side in the spring. Since that is non ratcheting I need to unzip the leather to get the new one on. The zipper is buried under the seat

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
One last follow up, the armrest now comes off it about 5 seconds now. I guess the first time is the real *****. Today I removed the factory one and a few seconds later I had the after market on. I'll do the passenger side in the spring. Since that is non ratcheting I need to unzip the leather to get the new one on. The zipper is buried under the seat

Very Nice! I hate my arm rest, the new version doesn't look big enough. What size are yours?

·
Registered
2 Posts
After many unsuccessful attempts to remove my original armrest it dawned on me to use a pickle fork. It worked great! I used an 11/16” pickle fork.

I normally sit with the seat as low and as far back as it will go, but it seems the new armrest makes contact with the center console preventing the seat to lower very much. Is anyone having this issue? Is there a work around?

·
Registered
232 Posts
After many unsuccessful attempts to remove my original armrest it dawned on me to use a pickle fork. It worked great! I used an 11/16” pickle fork.

I normally sit with the seat as low and as far back as it will go, but it seems the new armrest makes contact with the center console preventing the seat to lower very much. Is anyone having this issue? Is there a work around?
Unless your 7ft tall it should not be an issue, I had to raise my seat a little, no problem with the driving position and I still have 2-3 inches of head room. I'm 6'3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, I guess I just assumed with the new armrest I wouldn’t lose any of the original functionality...oh well, I’ll just have to get used to being higher up.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks, I guess I just assumed with the new armrest I wouldn’t lose any of the original functionality...oh well, I’ll just have to get used to being higher up.
I have always driven with drivers seat in the lowest position. Like you I was a bit dismayed when I finally got the new arm rest it and it was sitting on back of the console. However after screwing around with the seat position for 5 minutes leaving a small gap between the armrest and the console I actually like the new driving position better. Its been on about a month now and I have to say it is extremely comfortable. My right arm no longer slides off the skinny factory armrest. For me it was will worth the price, not sure about the aggravation LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
^^ do you have directions for the removal of the arm rest or could you give me a quick run down for the driver's side?

How long did it take for you to receive it?

161 - 180 of 213 Posts