Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Aftermarket ARMRESTS are finally here!! - order away

164664 242
Okay so if you have been on this 3rd generation for any period of time you probably know that for the last 15 months or so I've been talking about getting an aftermarket arm rest for us.

Just in case you haven't been following these threads: http://www.piloteers.org/forums/114...-pilot/101353-very-uncomfortable-armrest.html and http://www.piloteers.org/forums/114.../72554-where-did-they-hide-front-armrest.html

I will remind you that the Touring and Elite have ratcheting armrests on both drivers and passengers sides. The EX/EX-L has a ratcheting armrest on the drivers side only and the LX has only flip up/down armrests on both sides. There are 3 different colors of leather as well as cloth and it has certainly taken some time to tweak this aftermarket armrest.

I will spare you the specifics on the ideas that Jim and I bounced around but as a final product the armrest will be able to ratchet. Each ratcheting armrest will be able to be installed in under one minute. Pull out the old one and pop in the new one. The non-ratcheting armrests will take about 3-5 minutes to install. Really a piece of cake.

The thing that has been holding this project back is the funding as it costs quite a bit to fabricate the "sprocket" to allow the armrest to ratchet. Piloteers have asked to have it ratchet and your request has been answered. I'm going to attach a link to the pre-order form. I say pre-order because it will take about 6 weeks to get your armrest because each one has to be custom made. Rest assured you will get your armrest.

Here is a link to the pre-order form: Honda Pilot & Ridgeline Armrest Order Form

I would like thank everyone for their patience throughout the process and remind you that I have zero financial incentive in this product. I just want to replace the toothpick armrest.
141 - 160 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
I purchased the 6 inch version of these after market armrests for my 2018 Honda Pilot, and they DO NOT FIT. Don't waist your money like I did. First once I received the armrest I was impressed, it's made of very good quality and I'm thinking this is exactly what I was looking for. The directions for the armrest have you line up a paper at a certain angle and your arm rest should pop off. Yeah right....The hulk couldn't pop this baby off. So thinking it was just me I took it to the Honda dealer and 2 1/2 hours later the tech brought both the stock armrest and the aftermarket one and said they cannot make it work. The problem is the aftermarket sprocket fins or gears are much smaller than the stock armrest fins so it will not insert into the ratcheting position on the seat.

I can't comment on the 2016 or 2017 models but can definitely tell you on the 2018's it's a no go. Any posts that say other wise are just not accurate.
So what happened? Did you get it to work?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm ordering today or tomorrow. I'm still trying to decide if I want the 4.5 or 6 inch Lol

I hear you. My wife is the primary driver of our Pilot and I think she's going to think the larger ones are too clunky. I may be lucky to get the 4.5" ones approved.

I didn't think the minivan style armrests would be a problem because they were fine in our minivan that we owned years ago, but once we got the Pilot I realized that its armrests are much smaller than the ones we had in our van.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I hear you. My wife is the primary driver of our Pilot and I think she's going to think the larger ones are too clunky. I may be lucky to get the 4.5" ones approved.

I didn't think the minivan style armrests would be a problem because they were fine in our minivan that we owned years ago, but once we got the Pilot I realized that its armrests are much smaller than the ones we had in our van.
I order the 6 inch ones, I'll post some photos once I have them installed

·
Registered
484 Posts
Please let us know how the installation goes and post some pics!
Will do, I'm kind of bummed it won't arrive until Monday. I guess it take USPS 5 days to get it 75 miles LOL

I'll probably do the install next weekend

·
Registered
484 Posts
Please let us know how the installation goes and post some pics!

Ugh......my head hurts from trying to install the new armrest. I started off my the non ratcheting passenger side. Removal was easy enough, their is a new bracket which is supplied. Their are also two philip head screws which are supposed to be removed. For the life I me I can't see where they are. I pulled the leather back as far as I could and with a flashlight looked around. I must be blend because I don't see them.

I fought with the drivers side for an hour before I gave up. I'm just going to pay the Honda dealer to do it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Didn't want to be defeated so I'm went back out for another try. I emailed Jim and he got back to me quickly. On the pax side with the non ratcheting armrest you need to unzip the zipper on the side of the seat and pull the foam back to see the two screws to be removed. I spend 30 minutes on my side and back trying to find the end of the zipper, I was unable to get to it:frown:

As far as the drivers seat goes......my hands and arms are numb :laugh: I tried a strap around the armrest and my buddy and I took turns trying to pull it off, tried every angle between 32-42. 13-14 stitches down seems to be 37 degrees. Once again no success, now I'm pissed AND frustrated

·
Registered
484 Posts
in order to get to the zipper you need to unstrap the two straps underneath the seat.

Thanks, yea thats what I figured, however three of were not able to undo them. You really can't see anything even with your head on the floor Lol. Two straps? I feel (4). At this point I'm going to concentrate on the drivers side

·
Registered
484 Posts
141 - 160 of 243 Posts