Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Aftermarket ARMRESTS are finally here!! - order away

194K views 247 replies 79 participants last post by  FASTFJR 
#1 ·
Okay so if you have been on this 3rd generation for any period of time you probably know that for the last 15 months or so I've been talking about getting an aftermarket arm rest for us.

Just in case you haven't been following these threads: http://www.piloteers.org/forums/114...-pilot/101353-very-uncomfortable-armrest.html and http://www.piloteers.org/forums/114.../72554-where-did-they-hide-front-armrest.html

I will remind you that the Touring and Elite have ratcheting armrests on both drivers and passengers sides. The EX/EX-L has a ratcheting armrest on the drivers side only and the LX has only flip up/down armrests on both sides. There are 3 different colors of leather as well as cloth and it has certainly taken some time to tweak this aftermarket armrest.

I will spare you the specifics on the ideas that Jim and I bounced around but as a final product the armrest will be able to ratchet. Each ratcheting armrest will be able to be installed in under one minute. Pull out the old one and pop in the new one. The non-ratcheting armrests will take about 3-5 minutes to install. Really a piece of cake.

The thing that has been holding this project back is the funding as it costs quite a bit to fabricate the "sprocket" to allow the armrest to ratchet. Piloteers have asked to have it ratchet and your request has been answered. I'm going to attach a link to the pre-order form. I say pre-order because it will take about 6 weeks to get your armrest because each one has to be custom made. Rest assured you will get your armrest.

Here is a link to the pre-order form: Honda Pilot & Ridgeline Armrest Order Form

I would like thank everyone for their patience throughout the process and remind you that I have zero financial incentive in this product. I just want to replace the toothpick armrest.

See less See more
#10 ·
Thanks Rocky.

If I get non ratcheting, will it fit an EXL and can I adjust where it stops? I think the ratchet feature is stupid, it should at least have a set-able end point so I'm not counting clicks. Oh and pics?
There is no way to set a point and keep it for the ratcheting arm rest. The non-ratcheting arm rest has a stop pin on it which allows for either up or down. There is no way to "lock" it in the middle.

Congrats!

I would like to see video and pictures of how to install and color of the leather.

Thanks!
When the final product gets produced I will put up pictures. The manufacturer is going to do a bunch at a time hence the preorder. It costs quite a bit to get this produced and Jim does not have the funds to shell it all out in advance. Until a certain number of people preorder it will not get produced. There is a dollar threshold that needs to be met before producing - I'm not sure what the threshold is.

#7 ·
If I get non ratcheting, will it fit an EXL and can I adjust where it stops? I think the ratchet feature is stupid, it should at least have a set-able end point so I'm not counting clicks. Oh and pics?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Thanks. I posted there as well and it got moved to the "accessories" sub section. Kind of hard to find. Over here Rocky was kind enough to sticky so it's easy to see.

Here's a pic of the armrests installed in a Ridgeline. When I get pics of the samples of the leather I will post those too. Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Car Auto part

#17 ·
I just test drove the Ridgeline, was going to get one tomorrow or monday, but those arm rests were HORRIBLE. I'm coming from a 2004 Colorado, my hand pretty much never leaves the arm rest. Looks like if I get the Ridgeline I would definately have to replace them. I now cant remember if I was able to sit my arm on the arm rest and steer. Do these go far out enough to do that? Only other complaint was me not being able to see the speedometer now matter how I set the steering wheel.

#20 ·
I understand that you dislike the ratchet and I can tell you from working on this that your idea is very hard to accomplish. The way the armrest "stops" moving is by a stop pin on the mount attached to the seat frame. It's impossible to have that pin change spots since it's welded in place to keep the armrest level (hence either the up or down position in the non-ratcheting). If I was in your position and you didn't want the armrest to move I would probably drill a piece of metal into the seat frame itself at the proper angle that I wanted after setting the armrest to the position you want and then just keeping it covered in fabric. You would never see it.

As for the 3 inch width, I don't see that being conducive as the OEM one is already 2 inches. Will one more inch really change anything? (Don't insert any "that's what she said comment here" ?)

To each their own obviously. Please don't take my writing as a defensive tone - I appreciate everybody's input. It's been quite a long process.

#24 ·
Count to the 9th stitch down and give a good yank. Search for 9th stitch and I think a picture should come up from a while back.

Folks:
The only person to step up and do something for Pilot and Ridgeline owners may go by his "Toolazy" name but he's done all the work, and deserves all the credit.
If you don't like the result, that's fine, but don't publish any negative comments on the forum. Good grief, have you bought and tested it?
We're family here.

If you buy the item, and have suggestions to make to help it develop further, sent him a PM.

Thanks
Rocky (with his mod hat on)
Thanks Rocky. I don't mind hearing ideas whether for or against the armrest. I think as a group of Piloteers we put together a bunch of ideas collectively and this is what we came up with. I have to give Wanderer credit as well for taking apart his seat first when I was too much of a wuss to do it. He sent Jim a kick ass mold of one of his mounts. That guy is always taking stuff apart and helping out on the forum.

I dislike the ratchet because it must be reset if it's ever moved and the seatbelt is harder than it should be to buckle it without disturbing it. I'm not picking on your decision to mimic OEM, that's an intelligent approach. I just personally don't care for it's implementation here

I disagree that making it 50% wider than stock would be a bad thing , after all how wide are people's elbows? My thinking is that it is an improvement but still a nearly stock appearance. I would need to see the smaller version installed to see if this were something that I would be interested in. The structure for mine collapsed after only a few short months and Honda will not replace it under warranty. Also critical to my needs is that my wife really enjoys putting her purse there and too large of an armrest would block her access , I had to return several cell phone brackets because of this reason LOL

Please understand I am attempting to be constructive and assist with development not knock the item as you have done a great job already.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I never took it as you complaining about the product. I actually wish Honda would go back to the one piece center console armrest.

#22 ·
Folks:
The only person to step up and do something for Pilot and Ridgeline owners may go by his "Toolazy" name but he's done all the work, and deserves all the credit.
If you don't like the result, that's fine, but don't publish any negative comments on the forum. Good grief, have you bought and tested it?
We're family here.

If you buy the item, and have suggestions to make to help it develop further, sent him a PM.

Thanks
Rocky (with his mod hat on)

#25 ·
Just for clarification, if both driver and passenger seats have non-ratcheting armrests, and to replace the OEM armrests, do I need to order non-ratcheting armrests, or is it possible to mount the ratcheting arm rest into the non-ratcheting armrest mount (in the seat).

#26 ·
You have a few options here. First if you like the size of the actual armrest that you have and only want it to be able to ratchet you can buy a bracket from Honda and attach it to the seat and then buy the OEM armrest that ratchets.

If you do not like the size of your current armrest and want to replace it with an aftermarket one that ratchets you can take off your original mount and buy the OEM mount from Honda that will allow it to ratchet. Then buy the aftermarket one that ratchets.

#30 ·
The night I bought my 2017 Pilot Elite I placed the pre-order for 2 6" ratcheting armrests from JJ Products 1-800-654-2356 | Armrests | Rear Seats | Upholstery | Dash Kits | Wind Deflectors | Bug Guard. I used the pre-order link to the form on the forum. The other day I sent them an email to see what kind of time frame until they are ready. They called me and said they need more people pre-order the armrests so they can order the parts to make them. Hopefully the word gets around quick that these can be pre-ordered now.

#32 ·
The manufacturer is not on the forum. I would suggest calling the company directly, but the chances are slim, I believe it is an economies of scale issue, and it doesnt make sense for him to produce until he has a certain # of orders.

#35 ·
Here is a picture of what the leather fabrics looks like:

If anyone can has (or can take) pictures of the cloth interior (both top and sides) of the armrest it would be helpful.

Attachments