Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone replace their worn rear hatch / door struts with the Amazon ones for $19.99 a pair? They get good reviews but I'd prefer advice from this forum.

My rear hatch door isn't opening all the way and after hitting my head one too many times o_O, I want to replace them. Normally I like to use Honda parts but these look too good to pass up. Any thoughts?

I have a 2005 with 188k miles in very nice condition.

Thanks!!

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
I have no clue what brand the struts I used were, but the replacements lasted long enough, even if they did struggle to open the tailgate with some encouragement.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
I got Monroes from Rockauto 5 years ago for $34.54 apiece and they've been OK but nothing to write home about. I see now RA doesn't carry them anymore.

2005 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Lift Support | RockAuto

If you're talking about these rear hatch lift support struts on Amazon, I would be willing to give them a try. They've got good reviews (FWIW), and some of them mention to install them in pairs because they actually give you an extra ½ inch, which would be exactly what I need to keep from beaning myself to this day.

https://www.amazon.com/Charged-Lift...2--1-1-2688-171-&vehicleName=2006+Honda+Pilot

EDIT:
Ya know, I just went ahead and ordered them because YOLO and I'm tired of beaning myself.

One installation tip I remember, because the rear hatch door is surprisingly heavy without those struts, is to open it and then rest it on rolled up towels on the top of my 6-foot stepladder.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
I bought the Sachs SG226013 lift supports last March because the original factory supports weren't pushing the rear door all the way up unless I pushed it up the last 8 inches myself. They were $22 each last March, now they're $30 each. They seemed to work fine for awhile, and even gave me about another inch of rear gate height because they're slightly longer than the factory lifts. However, in the past month they've been very sluggish and are now worse than the factory lifts. I thought it was maybe due to the temps being below freezing lately, but even yesterday when we had a warm-up, they are still lifting the gate only about halfway. I'll be ordering a different brand soon.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
About a year ago, one of the 2 strruts on our 08 SE started leaking, the hatch wouldn't stay up, etc.

I got some kinda cheap ones- I think it was AMazon- IIRC- had some OK reviews.
It same in a white bag in pairs.
I only replaced the one that had evidence of leaking. The other one is still in the bag, I keep it in that little rear trunk compartment, with my headrests and the RES headphones.

Still works OK, keeps it up when you're under it.
I say go for it.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I bought the Sachs SG226013 lift supports last March because the original factory supports weren't pushing the rear door all the way up unless I pushed it up the last 8 inches myself. They were $22 each last March, now they're $30 each. They seemed to work fine for awhile, and even gave me about another inch of rear gate height because they're slightly longer than the factory lifts. However, in the past month they've been very sluggish and are now worse than the factory lifts. I thought it was maybe due to the temps being below freezing lately, but even yesterday when we had a warm-up, they are still lifting the gate only about halfway. I'll be ordering a different brand soon.
Oh wait, is your a power lift gate? Mines not.
You have to lift it your self. I know, right? LOL
It stays where you lift it to though.

HTH.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
I stopped by the junkyard today hoping to snag some struts off of a similar Pilot. All of them were worn off. I will buy some cheap ones from Amazon.
I'm tired of the trunk slamming on my head while I'm loading stuff.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Anyone replace their worn rear hatch / door struts with the Amazon ones for $19.99 a pair? They get good reviews but I'd prefer advice from this forum.

My rear hatch door isn't opening all the way and after hitting my head one too many times o_O, I want to replace them. Normally I like to use Honda parts but these look too good to pass up. Any thoughts?

I have a 2005 with 188k miles in very nice condition.

Thanks!!
For $19.95 a pair ... I'd get them without giving it another thought. If they don't hold the hatch up high enough for you, return them to Amazon. If they work, but only for a few years, it's not like they're difficult to R&R ... spend another $20 for another few years. $6.65/year is cheap headache insurance.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
217 Posts
I replaced the original lift supports in my 2007 Scion TC about a year before I sold it.
The brand was Strongarm and they worked very well considering the hatch is so heavy. It's the same brand we sold at advance auto parts when I used to work there

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
They came and I just installed them. It was a mild -4 C with no wind, and it gave me something enjoyable to do until they start the actual game...

So with nature's free and carbon-free air conditioning, the job was no sweat. Felt as refreshing and satisfying as going skiing, so now I'm enjoying a little après-ski, pre-game libation.

The struts seem fine so far and I can now stand under the middle part without beaning myself, thanks to that extra ½ inch. Time will tell how they hold up.

Speaking of hold ups, c'mon, kickoff already! Go insert favorite team here!!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,846 Posts
I ordered some El-Cheapos from Amazon or eBay five or six years ago. They haven’t leaked like the original ones did and were less than half the cost of OEM. I’m all for using OEM replacement parts for some items, but not in this case.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Those liftgate struts, no matter the manufacturer, all seem to be slower in the cold of winter. Those el cheapos above I just installed got a chance to prove their mettle (and metal, and WAF) in -10 C tonight. Did fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts