Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing some very basic research, it appears (according to the Alpine dealer) that Honda is using Alpine Nav. (www.alpine.com/) The model number is NVE-N852A using either the TME-M580 (5.8") or the M760 (7.6") in dash monitor. It looks like the Pilots are using the 5.8" screens. (The Alpine dealer is selling these systems for much less.) It is a two piece system with the main unit (CD drive) mounted under the drivers seat. According to the local Alpine dealer, you can purchase the in dash monitor but you must get the dash and stereo bezel from Honda Japan. You will also need to remount the factory stereo system and move the climate controls below the stereo which may also require a new bezel. (He claims his experience comes from Acura) I would like to hear all comments regarding this system. Can anyone confirm that this is even close to the unit Honda uses? Which monitor size are they using? Does anyone know about the discontinued Alpine 5 series NAV with out monitor, sold on E-BAY for $500? Would it work with the new Alpine monitors?

Pilot EX, non-NAV.

·
Registered
311 Posts
There are a lot of threads/post on the NAV system. You may want to scan those. Generally, Pilot owners that have the NAV love it. Me included. The system is known to be Alpine. They supply the DVD updates for Pilot owners. In the Pilot the control unit is a DVD and it's under the passenger seat. I would imagine that adding a new dash, etc. would be cost prohibitive, but I don't know. I would think that if you want an in-dash optin the navs/stereos that are made as aftermarket products would be the way to go. Alternatively, a number of folks have been praising the Garmin Street Pilot 3, which is a portable unit that sits on the dash. Good luck.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Any idea what the Garmin Street Pilot III cost?

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Unless something's changed, aftermarket Alpine systems lack the touchscreen capability the OEM unit has. I *think* either Pioneer or Kenwood (can't remember which) is the only mfr that offers touchscreens in the aftermarket. At least during the 02 model run for consumer electronics that was the case.

The Garmin SPIII is in the $900 neighborhood I believe.

You might search on the MDX site as well for aftermarket solutions. vicpai installed one in his "other" car and did quite a bit of research.

·
Registered
83 Posts
SPIII

4603pba:

SPIII deluxe - approx. $780 deliv.

I purchased remanufactured unit for $625 (1yr. warranty).
Unit appeared to be brand new.
Owned approx. 1 month.
Suits my needs just fine.
Good Luck

·
Registered
180 Posts
SagePilot,

Where did you purchase the refurb StreetPilot III? I've seen new ones as low as $725 + shipping from Ecost.com on occasion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts