Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone installed fog lights that weren't the Honda ones ?

There has to be something more reasonably priced (and easier to install) than the Honda fogs. I don't mind an always-on solution (when the low beams are on) which doesn't require a switch inside the vehicle.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
The Honda lights are not a bad price for "factory' fog lights.
you can get less expensive lights, but then have to decide how you are going to mount them.
Good lights are $75 to $150.
A decent wiring kit with relays is $25 to $35, and does not include an oEM matching switch.
now add some bits and pieces to mount them and see where you are.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Coming from a guy that has spent lots and lots of $$$ modifying lights, let me say that the Honda OEM Fog Lights are the way to go.

I like our Pilot without them for now so I'm not interested in getting a set but I have added them to my S2000 and it's not been an easy task. My PIAA's cost me a good $140 and labor for the install would have added another $100. I installed them myself and saved that $100.:p

On my old S2000, I spent $300+ to have fog lights mounted. Just not worth it in the end.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
373 Posts
The price for the Honda lights aren't bad at all for factory.
It's the installation and how they protrude that's got me.
To install them you have to remove most of the front end (bumper and grille assy).
I wish Honda had put a recessed area similar to the Odyssey for ease of installation.

Currently I'm planning on putting slim rectangular aftermarket lights under the bumper. The set with wiring at Autozone is about $60 and are named ironically "Pilots".
Pia's and Hella's are about $150 to $200 a set.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BillR,

Please keep us informed when you get the Autozone fogs installed (pictures would be nice too). Thanks.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Pilots are even cheaper (and less expensive too) at Walmart.
They are probably not bad for the money, but they are NOT Hella's or PIAAs.
Check the guage of the wiring?
Th equality of the fuse holder?
The quality of the relay (does it even have one)?
the quality of the switch, is it lighted?

·
Registered
18 Posts
light set

I bought a PIAA blue light kit off of ebay for only $75 and it is really good. It took me about an hour to install and no problems, looks clean.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: light set

Final_Say said:
I bought a PIAA blue light kit off of ebay for only $75 and it is really good. It took me about an hour to install and no problems, looks clean.
Can you share some pics?:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't have a digital camera to take pics at the moment but I copied the url of the pic from the Ebay seller I bought from and posted it below. There is currently a kit for sale on Ebay selling for the Honda Pilot just type "piaa pilot kit" and it will show. With the money I saved I'll buy a digital camera as a present for myself.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Final_Say said:
I don't have a digital camera to take pics at the moment but I copied the url of the pic from the Ebay seller I bought from and posted it below. There is currently a kit for sale on Ebay selling for the Honda Pilot just type "piaa pilot kit" and it will show. With the money I saved I'll buy a digital camera as a present for myself.
After reading your other post I found this same auction item on Ebay. Thank you.
Seeing them listed as being for a Pilot raises a question.
Does this set integrate into the Honda wiring harness or is it just their way of marketing them? They list quite a few for other vehicle makes and models.
Did you use the adhesive mounting system that PIAA talks about?

I checked the set out on PIAA's website, they list them as 35 watts is this correct? Most are 55 watts.
Which raises another question.
What is the wattage of the Honda set?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Honda are 55W, typical H3 type bulbs.

Honda kit pulls power directly froim the battery with about the shortest wires posible. Probably shorter and neater than an aftermarket kit.

I doubt that any aftermarket kit uses much of the factory wiring, nor has an OEM type switch. At least none I have seen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is wired directly to my battery with no problems. See the wire with the black square on the end near the bottom left. It is hard to see because the pic is poor quality. That is the PIAA power button. It is a small black button that says PIAA in white on it. When you press it on it lights up green and when its off it lights up red. I hid the wire behind the plastic interior panels on the interior then have only the power button showing down and to the left of the steering wheel. Very clean, looks factory, no wires showing under the hood. I attached the lights with the double sided 3M tape. It comes with very long wires, didn't need it all so I cut off what I didn't need with the wire splicers included in the kit.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Lights attached with two sided tape?
Hmm ayone with long term experiance?
Just wondering how they hold up in the weather?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had an older PIAA model light kit on my Passport and it was attached with 3M tape. PIAA is great. I traveled all the time for my job, everywhere from Canada to Las Vegas. I have driven in the Canadian snow and under the relentless Las Vegas sun and they never came loose. I'm a cheap bastad and if I'm going to spend $75 on a light kit I know beforehand that it is a good deal. Sorry to change the subject but where do people get those little pics for their names?

·
Registered
4 Posts
PIAA install

I was thinking of getting a set of these PIAA's. I noticed that they are driving lights insteadof fog's. Do you use them with your low beams and does that cause any problems for other drivers? Also, how did you get the wiring from the engine bay to the cabin? Was the install pretty easy? Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I drive with these light on all the time because they look cool. At night they make good fogs. I use them with the driving lights at night and they complement eachother like peas & carrots. The light kit comes with a small transfuser to prevent eletrical problems. The power button wire plugs right into that. Then I taped the tranfuser to the steering wheel column that is right above the pedal with the eletrical tape included. Then I ran the wires from the transfuser along the steering column that enters the engine compartment . Once in the engine compartment I concealed the wires along the engine compartment side with the tape until I reached the battery. Then I attached the positive and negative. Done! Just use the tape creatively to hide the wires to make everything clean and factory looking. Now can some please tell me how to put an image of my dog below my screen name?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Final_Say said:
I drive with these light on all the time because they look cool. . . . . Now can some please tell me how to put an image of my dog below my screen name?
Not until you stop using your driving lights to "Look Cool"

Just kidding, as you can see I don't have a avatar either.
:2: :2: :2: :2: :2: :2: :2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I bought two different sets of Pilot fog lights and am going to return them both.
The first set I got at Walmart (NV-601W). They seem OK but they only mount with one thru bolt. I can't see an easy way to mount them.
I planned to mount them in the outside pair of openings above the bumper (seeing an Infiniti QX4 gave me the idea). I'm also concerned with possibly melting my grille.
The second set I got at Autozone (PL-230B). They're very small rectangles, the size and mounting are fine but the lamps are awful. There's an opening in the bottom and the rear cover of the assembly is only a rubber cap.
I'm going to try to find a good deal on PIAA's (55 watt) or Hella's.
I'd post pics but I still haven't gotten a digital camera yet.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts

Just kidding, as you can see I don't have a avatar either.
[/B]

Now I do.
:D :D :D :D

Are you adding your time and gas to the aftermarket fog light price.
Eventually the Honda price will start looking good.

·
Registered
373 Posts
No, of course I didn't add my time.
Everyone knows time is free, or was it priceless.
If I start adding up my hours on this website I could have paid off my Pilot by now (by far the best automotive forum I've found).

The main reason I don't want the Honda lights is because of how they protrude (as Aerostar45 unfourtunately found out).
The installation is another story.

I actually had a set ordered for me from the dealer I bought my Pilot at (for supposed cost, not) and after seeing pics and the installation instructions I cancelled them. I thought it would be easy to put in some less espensive after market ones.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts