Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for an after market roofbars on a naked roof?
Do you prefer a cage or a cargo box?
please share your inputs.
Thank you 馃檹

Registered
I have seen previous threads asking about aftermarket crossbars and the general consensus is to avoid them due to poor fitment.

Most recommendations are to stick with OEM Honda crossbars. That said I have not purchased them for my pilot yet but I intend to buy OEM.

2019 Pilot EX-L Navi (Black) with SVCM, 30% tint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
When you say naked roof, does that mean you have no rails at ask or just no cross bars? I prefer a roof rack. Mine doesn't need cross bars as it attaches directly to the rails.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen previous threads asking about aftermarket crossbars and the general consensus is to avoid them due to poor fitment.

Most recommendations are to stick with OEM Honda crossbars. That said I have not purchased them for my pilot yet but I intend to buy OEM.

Hi kamandor!

Thanks for the response, on my part I don鈥檛 have a roof rails so I am looking at purchasing aftermarket crossbars that would have foot pads to sit on the roof. I think it would be practical so I can remove it when not in use. I also have a 2019 EX-L sunroof but no nav and no rails.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you say naked roof, does that mean you have no rails at ask or just no cross bars? I prefer a roof rack. Mine doesn't need cross bars as it attaches directly to the rails.
Hi Daltongang!

Mine doesn鈥檛 have a roof rails, so I was looking at purchasing a aftermarket crossbars with footpads that would sit on the roof. I was looking on buying a skybox for extra cargo on the roof, which I think is practical, I鈥檒l just remove it when not in use.

Registered
... I was looking at purchasing a aftermarket crossbars with footpads that would sit on the roof. I was looking on buying a skybox for extra cargo on the roof, which I think is practical, I鈥檒l just remove it when not in use.
I don't have a third-gen Pilot, so I don't know what's available for a non-permanent attachment. I'll offer a few general ideas from my experience...

1. Taking a rooftop box on and off a vehicle as tall as a Pilot is not simple. Further, storing a rooftop box takes more room than you think it will. I've tried it both ways, and unless there's a really pressing need, my box stays on the car full time. Boxes are super useful, but they're not very portable unless on the car.

2. I've used clip-on rack mounts in the past. I've never been very happy or impressed with them. I wouldn't use a non-permanent system on a Pilot. I think adding OEM rails that can carry one of the popular aftermarket systems would be the best bet. Second choice would be to have aftermarket crossbars permanently (ie, holes drilled in the roof) installed.

3. Whatever you decide to do, you get what you pay for in rack systems. What you're considering will be expensive to do well, even if you do all the work. Avoid the temptation to save 20% on the off-brand option.

Registered
Hi Pilot1218. I have a 2019 EXL without rails.

I use a removable rhino rack set up. I carry kayaks in the summer but wanted a removable system for winter snow in Maine. I know the OEM system can be unbolted too, but the Honda rails sit farther back on the roof and would have created a clearance problem with kayaks and tailgate.

It has worked well for me. I just make sure and clean the area of the car and the parts of the rack system that touch each other really well before installing.

I don't use a cargo box, so I can't comment on that aspect.

Registered
Hi Pilot1218. I have a 2019 EXL without rails.

I use a removable rhino rack set up. I carry kayaks in the summer but wanted a removable system for winter snow in Maine. I know the OEM system can be unbolted too, but the Honda rails sit farther back on the roof and would have created a clearance problem with kayaks and tailgate.

It has worked well for me. I just make sure and clean the area of the car and the parts of the rack system that touch each other really well before installing.
Interested in your Rhino rack set up that works for you. When you get the chance post a pic. I've experimented with the Prinsu roof rack mod to fit my Pilot. Will find out how it holds up this summer.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts