Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Pilot EX-L LOVE IT! Best car I ever owned. Rock-solid, wears like iron when properly kept. 188K miles and runs like a clock. I'll keep it till death due us part.
BUT...I want to install either an OEM or an aftermarket rear camera. I have an EX-L model entertainment system with a Multi-CD changer but without the Rear Entertainment (RES)
I have a few Qs:
1) Does the harness have Rear Camera wiring existing, minus the hardware, or must I install new wiring for the added camera?
2) What manufacturer would you recommend to replace the entertainment to facilitate the camera + Apple Play and Steering Control adaptation? (I'm looking in the $300 range)
3) Must I abandon the MultiPlex CD player?

Knowledge and suggestions appreciated.

BobM

·
Registered
478 Posts
Pretty much any Double-DIN unit with a 7" screen that supports Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. In 2005-8 models it is a very straight swap. Rip your CDs to mp3, copy to your phone and say bye-bye to this last-century tech. You can go for a model that plays CD or DVD but that will result in a smaller screen.
Some other things you might want:
If you want to keep using the factory sub, you will need a small amp for it, something like
Should be able to feed it 12V straight from one of the outlets in the car.

Steering wheel adapter: there are a few make-specific models that may be a few dollars cheaper, but Maestro is far more universal. You go to their site, select your car make/model/year, you new head unit model, connect unit to PC via USB, flash firmware, and get full wiring instructions.

Cameras vary, but you can find some very inexpensive and well rated units on Amazon. i.e.

Above items will set you back about $100, and head units that support CarPlay start in $250 range.
I.e. Boss BVCP9685A Digital multimedia receiver (does not play CDs) at Crutchfield
But personally, I would consider putting down a bit more $$ and get a better-featured unit if you spend a lot of time in your car. I personally like Alpine (ILX-W650 is $300)
I recommend Crutchfield cause they throw in a harness, adapter bracket and an instruction sheet for free.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Its funny, I have same model as you and that's the first thing I did last week after cleaning it up and getting it trip worthy. Here is a link to the one I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFWNH82/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_FjutEbC805Z68

I give its functionality a 8/10, since you cannot adjust the brightness, but it IS wired. I dont have the patience or the time to wire this discretely so i have the wore running along the ceiling of my car and it looks BAD.
If you have the time and patience, then it will be a great fit for anyone else. It also has a dash camera but SDXC card not included.

I will be returning it for this wireless one instead.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J863EI2/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_IlutEb4E9QS33

·
Registered
5,545 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
But that one doesn't seem to have a front dashcam included. On more than one occasion just having a dashcam put an end to a dispute real quick. And got me a case dismissed in court.

I get that wiring to the rear can be a pain and wireless would be the way I'd go too, but get one with a front dashcam built into the mirror.
I completely agree with you. However I wasn't able to find a wireless dash cam backup camera rearview mirror one on amazon. If you find one, please share the riches friend

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Right you are, couldn't find an all-in-one either. Hey, maybe a good business opportunity for an enterprising person.

However, how about combining something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07884965F/ref=psdc_2230642011_t2_B00WYH37CA?th=1

...with something like one of these?

Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

·
Registered
478 Posts
A somewhat more 'integrated' camera solution (albeit a rather more expensive one) might be something like:
Dash cam:
Rear cam:
A head unit like

In particular, one controls recording/playback features of the dash camera directly from the head unit touchscreen.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Looks good, especially for OP. (y)

However, @Jcdabney is looking for a wireless rear cam.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A somewhat more 'integrated' camera solution (albeit a rather more expensive one) might be something like:
Dash cam:
Rear cam:
A head unit like

In particular, one controls recording/playback features of the dash camera directly from the head unit touchscreen.
Honestly, if money were not an issue and I wasn't set on a rearview mirror screen, I would get a system like that, if it had android auto integrated

·
Registered
16 Posts
Right you are, couldn't find an all-in-one either. Hey, maybe a good business opportunity for an enterprising person.

However, how about combining something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07884965F/ref=psdc_2230642011_t2_B00WYH37CA?th=1

...with something like one of these?

Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

Oh, I didn't even think of that. That bears some real consideration. It would work with the togaurd system I have already purchased, I just need to get the wireless adapter then. And it would still be less expensive than the autovox system I was interested in

1 - 10 of 10 Posts