Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to owning a pilot (and being on here) and mainly got it cause it was super clean inside, has okay towing and looked like it was well maintained. I've owned tons of Hondas and know they respond well to intakes but I wasn't prepared for how my pilot responded. Since I couldn't find an AEM for my year I went with a 2016 instead. If I get enough interests I'll write up a more detailed install but right off the bat you'll need an adapter because the intake pipe on this is larger then the intake plenum. I simply cut off a piece of the old intake hose and used that. Yeah, I know... I'll do it right once I install the heat shield and catch can. This engine sounds amazing now! 600 miles and no CEL, so I think it's pretty safe. Also no real difference in MPG either. With this car being as heavy as it is it's not going to win any races but it does seem to drive a little better. Oh but the sounds it makes. Brings a smile to my face every time I put my foot down.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Nice mod to make the engine more edgy looking. Could you have done a CAI search based on the diameter of the inlet plenum? Perhaps what worked on similar V6 Accord or Ridgeline builds might be useful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually they called this a CAI system due to the heat shield (not installed yet). If you look at the photo the intake itself had to be rotated a quarter turn so that it could clear all that plastic. I left most of it in so that water can't hit the filter. I'll be using some aluminum sheeting to add to the heat shield to make it even safer. I think it'll make it look cooler too. :LOL:

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
On the second gen pilot the CAI sucks in through the front grill.. Not from the bottom or the rear of the engine bay..with this setup you have , your loosing that feature . It's more a WAI now .. the point behind these setups is to block the CIA filter from sucking on the engine cab hot air . Should have looked for something close in our year of a pilot.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the second gen pilot the CAI sucks in through the front grill.. Not from the bottom or the rear of the engine bay..with this setup you have , your loosing that feature . It's more a WAI now .. the point behind these setups is to block the CIA filter from sucking on the engine cab hot air . Should have looked for something close in our year of a pilot.
This pilot also has a cold air directional funnel in the front grill. Once the heat shield and aluminum sheeting is installed the warm engine air will be completely cut off from the intake. Sure, it's not perfect yet but still a huge improvement over how it was.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
This pilot also has a cold air directional funnel in the front grill. Once the heat shield and aluminum sheeting is installed the warm engine air will be completely cut off from the intake. Sure, it's not perfect yet but still a huge improvement over how it was.
Cool! ... take a look at the top of the funnel where the grill is ..there were a few mentions on other forums that this section was a bottle neck area for cold air to come in. Looking at it closer it's only a 1" opening.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,420 Posts
I'm new to owning a pilot (and being on here) and mainly got it cause it was super clean inside, has okay towing and looked like it was well maintained. I've owned tons of Hondas and know they respond well to intakes but I wasn't prepared for how my pilot responded. Since I couldn't find an AEM for my year I went with a 2016 instead. If I get enough interests I'll write up a more detailed install but right off the bat you'll need an adapter because the intake pipe on this is larger then the intake plenum. I simply cut off a piece of the old intake hose and used that. Yeah, I know... I'll do it right once I install the heat shield and catch can. This engine sounds amazing now! 600 miles and no CEL, so I think it's pretty safe. Also no real difference in MPG either. With this car being as heavy as it is it's not going to win any races but it does seem to drive a little better. Oh but the sounds it makes. Brings a smile to my face every time I put my foot down.

View attachment 138175
What's the micron rating on that filter?

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Looks good, I'm sure it sounds good too. I do a lot of hilly driving and got tired of intake noise on automatic vehicles, it was much more of a drone. Good luck with the rest of your fabrication!

Cool! ... take a look at the top of the funnel where the grill is ..there were a few mentions on other forums that this section was a bottle neck area for cold air to come in. Looking at it closer it's only a 1" opening.
It's only a bottleneck if the engine needs more air... I'd have to measure everything but my engineering judgement leads me to believe that opening at the top of the grill is approximately equal to the cross sectional area of the throttle body, so I feel it is appropriately sized.

What's the micron rating on that filter?
I did a quick google search and came up with the link below as the first link... I run the AEM drop-in on the stock housing.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Looks good, I'm sure it sounds good too. I do a lot of hilly driving and got tired of intake noise on automatic vehicles, it was much more of a drone. Good luck with the rest of your fabrication!

It's only a bottleneck if the engine needs more air... I'd have to measure everything but my engineering judgement leads me to believe that opening at the top of the grill is approximately equal to the cross sectional area of the throttle body, so I feel it is appropriately sized.

I did a quick google search and came up with the link below as the first link... I run the AEM drop-in on the stock housing.

Not trying to rain on the party, but for all the kiddies wanting their Pilot to last a long time, it should be known that this poor micron filter is not good for everyday use to protect your engine. Our engine already manage to suck in a certain amount of silica with the factory set up. So if you want to look cool and got plenty of $ to spend, hey, I'm not your keeper. This looks awsome.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Not trying to rain on the party, but for all the kiddies wanting their Pilot to last a long time, it should be known that this poor micron filter is not good for everyday use to protect your engine. Our engine already manage to suck in a certain amount of silica with the factory set up. So if you want to look cool and got plenty of $ to spend, hey, I'm not your keeper. This looks awsome.
Nothing is without compromise, eh?

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Nothing is without compromise, eh?
So true.
One must weigh the advantages and disadvantages. Was that done here? Some don't know about the lack of filtration, how Honda designed the resonator to trap polutants, what silica does to an engine and the loss of hp because of the loss of air induction when using this mod. Others do, but still opt to install because it looks and sounds awsome.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Put a Magnaflow Exhaust on it ..that will make it sound awesome ..

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Put a Magnaflow Exhaust on it ..that will make it sound awesome ..
:sick: :sick: :sick: 🤮 🤮 🤮

Turbo style mufflers don't play well with my ears. Of course a chambered design (Flowmaster) doesn't sound great on DOHC V6s either.

At least from a quality and drone standpoint, Corsa is my #1 and Borla my #2.... seeing as how Corsa doesn't like selling just a muffler I'd probably call up Borla to see what they recommend for the engine. Corsa uses a resonance tube that is sized (diameter and length) to counteract the "drone tones" and is by far the most effective at giving you volume without drone. It is also one of the most "straight through" designs.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
:sick: :sick: :sick: 🤮 🤮 🤮

Turbo style mufflers don't play well with my ears. Of course a chambered design (Flowmaster) doesn't sound great on DOHC V6s either.

At least from a quality and drone standpoint, Corsa is my #1 and Borla my #2.... seeing as how Corsa doesn't like selling just a muffler I'd probably call up Borla to see what they recommend for the engine. Corsa uses a resonance tube that is sized (diameter and length) to counteract the "drone tones" and is by far the most effective at giving you volume without drone. It is also one of the most "straight through" designs.

View attachment 138222
Exactly :)

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I totally blew it to, nobody called me out yet...

DOHC or SOHC V6's... completely forgot about our beloved J35!

Some of the old pushrod V6's sounded good with chambered mufflers.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
That Corsa design looks impressive but music to my ears might be different for others and vice versa.
The first step is admitting that you have a problem. And that you are wrong...

But I hear you, definitely had plenty of those debates over the years.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
After a decade or so trying to find just the right notes from a litany of interesting cars, I've settled on "quiet" as the driving them when looking at intake and exhaust options. Good news is that the factory stuff is pretty quiet so nothing to change so far.

Reminder -- until you get to a point where pressure immediately upstream of the throttle is the same as downstream, and both are well below atmospheric pressure, intake modifications like this do nothing for performance. Except at close to wide open and high RPM's and load, the critical restriction in inlet airflow is the throttle plate.

The oil-wetted mesh (like K&N) "better mileage" claims have been debunked, and the amount of crud getting through is higher than the factory air filter. Unless you have your foot to the floor all the time, the only thing that might be 'good' is the change in appearance.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
As always... there is a Project Farm video for this...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts