Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

My pilot was hit on a driver side bumper by NYC cab driver last December. I had it inspected/evaluated by my insurance and Honda Dealer. The cost of repair is less than my insurance deductable, thus my insurance will not get involve in settling the case.

I've been handling this issue since last December. Last month the cab company's insurance finally sent one of their agents to inspect/evaluate the damage. Their estimated cost is about $200 below Honda Dealer and my insurance's cost. I sent them the Honda Dealer estimated cost. Will they go by the cab company's estimated cost or Honda Dealer's estimated cost? What are my rights/options?

'Till now, I'm still waiting for the cab company's insurance next move. I want to get my bumper fix asap. It turns me off everytime I look at it. Should I go ahead and schedule the repair at the Honda Dealer?

Please help.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
you can involve your insurance company to negociate witht he other insurance company, but I am not sure if you want to do that!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was rear-ended on 12/31/99, at first the other person's insurance company started to negotiate on the cost to repair the damage. But I told them very firmly to pay the dealer for the cost repair directly. The car was a 95 Taurus, the insurance company made a 1600+ payment to replace the bumper. If you get the amount directly from the insurance company, they will negotiate on how much they pay, because most people profit from these insurance claims when the claim is directly paid to the claimant.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'm not sure if all insurance companies handle claims the same way, but from my experience the estimate is just that, an estimate and it is subject to change. The insurance company of the driver at fault will be responsible for repairing all inflicted damaged back to the original condition - unless the vehicle is totaled, then you just get the estimated value. (If both drivers are determined to be "at fault" then each is at the mercy of their own insurance.)

If the other driver's insurance accepts fault, then they will authorize repairs for estimated amount. But if the shop starts doing work and finds damage or expenses outside the original estimate, the shop will have to call back the insurance adjuster and wait for authorization on the increased cost (the adjuster can't always estimate all the internal damaged).

I've had repairs (not my fault ;)) and had friends with repairs which took an extra few days or weeks while the shop waited for the insurance company to revise the estimate.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Compair the estimates

Do a line by line compairison.
What drives the $200 difference?
Explain to them;
You want it fixed!
You want it fixed with Honda parts!
You want it guarentied!

Now see if there is any difference in price.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Swoon,
If the other driver is FULLY at fault, then you do not need to involve your insurance company at all. The OTHER insurance company should handle this, period. I agree with what others have said -- get the OTHER driver's insurance company to contact the Honda repair shop. This will allow the figures to be worked out exactly and you don't have to get involved with the negotiation process. That's how it works here in PA.

When my wife'c car was hit on the passenger side in 2000, we had the choice of getting a check in the mail from the OTHER insurance company for the estimate (given from a local shop), or to have them send the $$ to the shop electronically. I found out that this local shop had a direct tie-in with the insurance company -- meaning they had a trust agreement and that the estimate given to them was a "real" amount (not meant to be jacked up for profit). Check to see if the OTHER insurance company has any agreements with any of the Honda dealer shops where you live. Be sure to get original /genuine Honda parts for your Pilot.

BTW, we took the check and used the money for pleasure instead of repairing the car since it was an older car. :D When its time was up, we replaced it with an '02 Accord EX (10 times better). Good luck on getting your Pilot fixed ASAP.

Happy Piloting!:2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts