Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my SBP EX-L tomorrow evening. When I first drove the car and purchased it, it was dirty so I didn't get a good look at the paint job. I have yet to bring the car home because I left it at the dealer to get accessories installed.

I went up to the dealer on Saturday just to gaze at my new Pilot that was all cleaned up.
Lo and Behold, on the hood of the SBP you can see a subtle but definate paint discoloration that is the size of a circle about 4 inches in diameter. The service guy looked at it and said that because it was under the clearcoat, there was nothing he could do about it. We were under flourescent lights so I am not sure how it will look under natural sunlight. The discoloration is subtle, it looks almost like an area that is a little hazy or the color is not quite as intense as the rest of the paint job.

My salesman said my options were:
*repainting the entire hood
*live with it
*See the Honda factory rep who would be by in 2 -3 weeks.

I think I will take the car home tomorrow night but I want to get in writing that the dealer acknowledges that there is a paint problem on the hood.

To all you Piloteers out there, please let me know if you have additional advice on how to handle this problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
ollicat said:

My salesman said my options were:
*repainting the entire hood
*live with it
*See the Honda factory rep who would be by in 2 -3 weeks.

I think I will take the car home tomorrow night but I want to get in writing that the dealer acknowledges that there is a paint problem on the hood.

To all you Piloteers out there, please let me know if you have additional advice on how to handle this problem.
IMHO, waiting 2-3 weeks wouldn't be a good idea. I would call the factory customer service (don't ask me how - I have no idea) ASAP.

Definitely get it in writing, though.

kad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
I had a starlight silver Odyssey. It had definate paint problems with shading on the rear side upper 1/4 panels. Once I took possession of the vehicle, Honda said they would repaint the panels for free. However.... after market paint (not the original paint finish) is softer and prone to stone chips faster. A vehicle that has paint work done on it can be worth less for resale. Because of this, I told Honda that I didn't want a repaint on both sides but instead a new van. They told me they wouldn't get involved and that it was between myself and the dealer if they wanted to take my 4 day old vehicle in as a trade. Can you believe it... a trade:eek: :22: :28: :twak: . I ended up getting the General Sales Manager to call them and say that he was losing a long time customer if they didn't so something more than just repaint. I ended up with OEM fogs installed no charge and a promise to repaint the affected panels at anytime in the future at no cost to me. Bottom line, it isn't your fault that they have messed up on the paint. Hope this helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I had my SS Pilot repainted on one panel behind the dirvers side rear wheel. It looked like small brown spots were splashed under the clearcoat. The body shop said it was acid. The paint job was very good - no difference in color however I did get a small rock chip on the way home from the body shop. Guess the paint wasn't quite dry. I would have it repainted if you know your dealer is using a good body shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
ollicat said:
. . . Lo and Behold, on the hood of the SBP you can see a subtle but definate paint discoloration that is the size of a circle about 4 inches in diameter. The service guy looked at it and said that because it was under the clearcoat, there was nothing he could do about it. . . . The discoloration is subtle, it looks almost like an area that is a little hazy or the color is not quite as intense as the rest of the paint job.
If it is subtle, I would get some compensation (free goodies, or service or something) and then forget-about-it!

Any MOST (I was gong to say ANY, but I know others here don't agree) repaint is inferior to factory paint in the long run.

Its just a car, probably in its life it will get hit and need paint. You can get it done then, or leave it a bit dirty and know one will notice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,429 Posts
If it was me, and it wasn't too badly noticable, I would live with it...and go for some freebies, like fog lights, side steps..etc...

:29:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
I'm also of the opinion that unless you just can't stand it, live with it and get some freebies rather than risk the possibility of fading in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
I'd tell them I want a different Pilot altogether and wait for the next one to come in. No way could I live with it because I would see it everytime I washed it and it would drive me nuts. And no way would I want a new car painted. A good tech will always be able to spot a repaint and it will bite you at trade time (if that time ever comes).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Your salesman left out at least one other option. You could let someone else buy it! Of course there is almost always something you'll notice after you get your new car home. Our SBP Honda pilot has a pale spot about the size of a fifty cent piece under the clear on the roof that neither my wife nor I noticed until about the 4th or 5th washing. Oh well. We're keeping an eye on it.
Best of luck to you with your new Honda!
 

·
Admin Du Jour ®
Joined
·
989 Posts
Qbrozen said:
I'd tell them I want a different Pilot altogether and wait for the next one to come in. .
I'd probably opt to do that, too. But it's only an option if you haven't yet signed on the dotted line. If you've handed over the case and they've handed over the title, it's yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
I like the idea of a free repaint coupon that you can use at any time in the future. Give it a few months, and that 4 inch slightly noticable blemish may not bother you any longer. But if you paint now, you will suffer at resale time. I don't care how good the body shop is, a pro will be able to tell that the hood was repainted. They have a gauge that measures the thickness of the paint on each panel. Non-factory paint jobs are usually thicker than factory paint. That will bring up questions of "was this in an accident?"

If after time, the spot still bothers you, then go ahead and have it fixed. Just keep in mind that the paint job won't be as good as the factory paint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,429 Posts
guitarman said:
I like the idea of a free repaint coupon that you can use at any time in the future. Give it a few months, and that 4 inch slightly noticable blemish may not bother you any longer. But if you paint now, you will suffer at resale time. I don't care how good the body shop is, a pro will be able to tell that the hood was repainted. They have a gauge that measures the thickness of the paint on each panel. Non-factory paint jobs are usually thicker than factory paint. That will bring up questions of "was this in an accident?"

If after time, the spot still bothers you, then go ahead and have it fixed. Just keep in mind that the paint job won't be as good as the factory paint.
But, when you do trade in, even if they do have a gauge to measure the paint (I worked in body shops, never heard of it), they don't do it.

:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Art said:
But, when you do trade in, even if they do have a gauge to measure the paint (I worked in body shops, never heard of it), they don't do it.

:cool:
I think he meant that when it is traded it the person doing the inspection will be able to tell its been repainted, and will adjust the value accordingly.

Not that somehow they were goung to measure teh quality of the paint job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,429 Posts
N_Jay said:
I think he meant that when it is traded it the person doing the inspection will be able to tell its been repainted, and will adjust the value accordingly.

Not that somehow they were goung to measure teh quality of the paint job.
Oh, he mentioned a gauge they have to measure thickness...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Art said:
Oh, he mentioned a gauge they have to measure thickness...
Oops missed that.

I think that is usually for finding bondo, I am not sure how it would measure paint thinkness, and even if it did it would find the repaint is thicker since it will be on top of the factory paint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
The gauge does measure paint thickness. When I was considering purchasing a used Mercedes, I asked the salesman if the hood had been repainted because it looked a little lighter than the rest of the car, and when I ran my hand along the back edge of the hood near the windshield, it felt a bit rough. This is also a telltale sign of a repaint. Anyway, he brought out some type of gauge, set it on the hood, then set it on some other body panels, and said, you're right, the hood has been repainted. He said the gauge measures paint thickness, but I didn't ask him how it works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
The gauge looked something like this.

PRO Gauge II Powder & Paint Thickness Gauge

Item No. - 34065
The Paint Measuring Gauge helps you avoid thick paint problems. Whether checking out a collector can or analyzing condition for a repaint it's important to know how much paint is on the vehicle. Accurate to .001".


Regular Price: $49.99
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
Then, there's the more fancy model

F-100 The standard Model, measures the thickness of all film and paint (including metallic) on ferrous (steel) substrates. It has optimal performance characteristics for automotive and many industrial applications. Unique Substrate Compensation (TM) circuitry measures all non-magnetic coatings such as film, paint, epoxy, plastic, and phosphating or galvanizing on steel. PTG's substrate compensation (TM) circuitry is less affected by substrate thickness variations than other electronic gauges.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Re: The gauge looked something like this.

guitarman said:
PRO Gauge II Powder & Paint Thickness Gauge

Item No. - 34065
The Paint Measuring Gauge helps you avoid thick paint problems. Whether checking out a collector can or analyzing condition for a repaint it's important to know how much paint is on the vehicle. Accurate to .001".


Regular Price: $49.99
I did not know they got down to paint thinkness, I knew you could tell if bondo was under (no matter how thin it is, it is still much thicker then paint).

Like I thought, it measures the total paint thinkness, so it is not measuring the fact that the repaint is "thinner".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
The panel with a paint thickness that's different from the other panels on the vehicle is a signal that it was repainted. Repaint is usually not thinner, but thicker. I suppose it is very difficult for a human to apply the paint in a way that mimics a factory machine/robot paint job. Probably hard to get good coverage and still not lay it on too thick.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top