Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined this forum to research the Pilot as this would be my first Honda. I am looking to buy one in about a week but l-a-t-e last night as I read through the problems section some of you guys scared me! Just how bad is that darn scrunch? What really might make me hinky though is the vibration at 70 mph. I had another vehicle that did that and it was also the first year for it. We tried for 2 years to find out what did it. Balanced drive shaft, several sets of tires and wheels, had frame tested , etc. and finally just got rid of it. The starting thing, etc. seem fairly easy to accept. Can anyone give me a good estimate as to what percent of the owners have the vibration and the scrunch problems. I read the vin list thread and it seems there are few but there sure are a lot of posts about them. I have my eye on a couple of Pilots at our local dealer and was ready to take the plunge but these nagging problems are worrying me. Wonderful web site and forum - I have learned so much already.
Thanks,
Jim in WV

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey bud,

I wouldn't let all the "problems" disuade you. I've got a pilot with a vin number in the 20k plus and I have none of the problems that some of the people have talked about here; even the scrunch...hehe

Have faith..you'll love your pilot...I love mine more everytime I drive it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
With 16,000 miles on my Pilot, I don't have the scrunch, I don't have the vibration, and have had the starting problem one time (several months ago). This is my first Honda as well.
My experience has been very positive so far!:D

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
herd72 said:
I joined this forum to research the Pilot as this would be my first Honda. I am looking to buy one in about a week but l-a-t-e last night as I read through the problems section some of you guys scared me! Just how bad is that darn scrunch? What really might make me hinky though is the vibration at 70 mph. I had another vehicle that did that and it was also the first year for it. We tried for 2 years to find out what did it. Balanced drive shaft, several sets of tires and wheels, had frame tested , etc. and finally just got rid of it. The starting thing, etc. seem fairly easy to accept. Can anyone give me a good estimate as to what percent of the owners have the vibration and the scrunch problems. I read the vin list thread and it seems there are few but there sure are a lot of posts about them. I have my eye on a couple of Pilots at our local dealer and was ready to take the plunge but these nagging problems are worrying me. Wonderful web site and forum - I have learned so much already.
Thanks,
Jim in WV
I think the VIN list is your best source for REAL data. The problem with the actual threads on some of the "problems" is that we all have a tendency to build on each others complaints - oftentimes blowing a minor problem out of proportion (not saying that all of these are minor).

I florida_guy has attempted to try to narrow down the starting "problem" to build date. Not sure if he has come to anything conclusive.

My own PERSONAL experience has been one isolated case of longer than "normal" cranking before the engine started. Fluke or a "problem"??? One time when entering a steep driveway that put the Pilot in a "twist", I heard a slight scrunch from one of the rear doors. My wife has a Sebring convertible and I hear these sort of noises routinely. Usually a good cleaning of the rubber seals helps. I have had no vibration.

But again - this is just MY experience. The VIN table is still the best for real data.

Now, would I buy a Pilot again? Not a question or a doubt in my mind! I am EXTREMELY happy with it!! :2:

·
Registered
481 Posts
herd72 said:
Can anyone give me a good estimate as to what percent of the owners have the vibration and the scrunch problems.
Herd72, it's good to be cautious when you're dropping $30000+ on a vehicle.

It's hard to estimate the number of owners (here or in total) who have had the scrunch problem or the vibration. From the active threads on them in this forum, it appears that the vibration issue was fixed through changes in the parts or production at the factory and the scrunch looks to be addressed as well.

While the problems certainly are (or were) real, there's two things to remember.....
a) this forum is a great capsule of interested and passionate owners (and shoppers) of Pilots who pay close attention to the details of these vehicles, so many things get discussed at length here, that others would not comment on or perhaps care about.
b) the vibration and scrunch are two big problems that most people would or should notice, but it appears that both have been addressed in production.

We've owned our Pilot for 3 months now, with no issues, except the auto-up/down feature on the drivers window.

Herd72, shop wisely and enjoy your new vehicle.

List members, when was the last new occurrence of the scrunch or vibration by someone on this list?

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks and 1 more question

Do folks that have the cloth interior get the dreaded sag as well? I am not all that crazy for leather as I have no garage space and the Pilot will be left outside. Those leather seats ( I have now on another vehicle) can be cold in the mornings. Also - how about aftermarket neoprene seat covers. My son put those on his (shudder) X-Terra and they look really good. Would that cover up the seat sag? What about cloth seats with neoprene covers? Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jim in WV

·
Registered
461 Posts
herd72: You can't put covers over the seats because of the airbags.

I have not had the vibration or the scrunching at all. No starting problems either. I'm in the upper 79K's of VINs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the cloth seats on my starlight silver ex and no seat sag.

very nice....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for all the advice - it has really helped. I think I may be going to the cloth and I will research that vin number thread to see which digits to read. I can go to the dealer now with confidence.

Jim in WV
:cool:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
my3kids said:
herd72: You can't put covers over the seats because of the airbags.
??? What does that have to do with the airbags?? :confused:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Re: Thanks and 1 more question

herd72 said:
Do folks that have the cloth interior get the dreaded sag as well? I am not all that crazy for leather as I have no garage space and the Pilot will be left outside. Those leather seats ( I have now on another vehicle) can be cold in the mornings.
No, herd72, my cloth seats look great after 4400 miles. Also, I can't recall anyone with cloth seats on this board saying they had a sag or any other appearance problem (with their PILOT SEATS, that is!!!! .:eek: )

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
kemosabe said:

florida_guy: The seat cover will prevent the two side air bags from deploying properly: :)
Oh. O.K. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, buy the PILOT, my own have the scrunch in two doors but not always, and not any other problem in 7k miles, a wonderful vehicle, a happy owner........;) :7: :awais: :29:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Go Honda for Reliability

I think previous comments about the amount of info given here being sometimes overwhelming to the reader is right on. All cars will have their warts, I guess we like sharing our wart stories. :p

Hondas have always been great in our family. I'm coming off my wife's Volvo all wheel drive (except all the times it's in the shop) nightmare. We needed a reliable car in the family and my wife has a 10 year minimum car usage rule so I went to the Pilot when my Jeep hit 10 years. Peace of mind and a super automobile to boot. What a deal! Good luck.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just DO IT!!

Herd72,
I bought 2 Pilots the week before Christmas. Did not know anything about this site. So did not have any of this info prior to my purchase.
Had I read thru everthing on this site..it might have sent up a number of red flags for me as well.
But I can tell you, #1 has over 10K on it already. No starting problems, No vibration problems and NO sagging seat problems, (both are cloth). Also NO scrunch problems! As for #2, she just rolled over 4K and again NO Problems!
In my opinion this is a great vechile and I wouldn't shy away from it cause of what you have read here.
Come enjoy with the rest of us!!!
:7:

·
Registered
144 Posts
do it buddy

going on 10000 trouble free miles and loving every minute of it!!!!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Re: Go Honda for Reliability

terrier said:
I think previous comments about the amount of info given here being sometimes overwhelming to the reader is right on. All cars will have their warts, I guess we like sharing our wart stories. :p

And mind you, we're talking the occasional WART here, not compound fractures :1zhelp: , as do sites for some other vehicles......

·
Registered
186 Posts
herd72 said:
Thanks,
Jim in WV
Go for it Jim. My Pilot was built in early August - now has over 10K miles, and I have experienced none of the mentioned problems noted on this forum. I also have a 99 Vette and found the same frequency of problems noted on several Vette forums - again (perhaps I'm blessed) I have not experienced any major problems. I don't believe Honda has done anything different in latest builds, given that they haven't acknowledged most of the problems as real issues from their perspective.

Just my $.02

bakerlar:4:

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Pilot will be one month old on Tuesday-have 900 miles so far.And no problems.I was hesitant,or cautious, about plunking down $30 grand, so tried to do as much research as possible(a year's worth).This car came out safe in the tests, hopefully reliable, comfortable, should get decent gas mileage; what more could I ask for? It isn't singularly stylish, but doesn't look bad, and I'm liking it's looks better every day.You gotta remember, there's going to be bugs in every car, and hopefully you don't get that 'lemon' made on Friday afternoon.So good luck deciding;my vote:29: :29: :29:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts