Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I snapped a bolt yesterday doing my rear brakes luckily it was the bolt that went to the caliper pin so it was a easy fix once I found the part. For some reason the 3/8 torque wrench never clicked. It worked all day and I over tighten the bolt and snap. I still have to do the front brakes and they have much torque. Any advice to limit this in future. I already just ordered a digital torque wrench from Amazon just incase.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
I use inexpensive Pittsburgh from Harbor Freight. I have both digital and the mechanical dial and lock kind. No issues so far.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I snapped a bolt yesterday doing my rear brakes luckily it was the bolt that went to the caliper pin so it was a easy fix once I found the part. For some reason the 3/8 torque wrench never clicked. It worked all day and I over tighten the bolt and snap. I still have to do the front brakes and they have much torque. Any advice to limit this in future. I already just ordered a digital torque wrench from Amazon just incase.
Don’t feel too special LOL The same bolt snapped on me and I use a torque wrench regularly for critical areas but not on those particular bolts. I suspect bolt fatigue as I’ve done the brakes multiple times in my old Pilot and a bolt felt funny while tightening then decided to snap and I don’t over tighten them. I’m just glad it was not a PIA to take the bolt out. Depending on where you live some people use thread locker while others in the rust belt swear by anti seize for those bolts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s exactly what I did I used some thread lock on the new bolt. I’m just want to make sure for the front brakes. Because I remember they are a lot more torqued. I better buy a extra set of bolts and pins for the front. Just in case

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Precision Instruments split beam torque wrench.
I was looking at it but I need to do spark plugs after the front brakes they need to be torqued about 10-14 ft/lbs the 3/8 lowest is 20 for/lbs ? I saw that husky had a new one plus it has a lifetime warranty anyone familiar with it?
Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

3/8 in. Drive Electronic Torque Wrench

·
Registered
35 Posts
Precision Instruments also makes dial type torque wrenches that read in inch pounds. I have one that reads 0-600 inch pounds, which translates to 0-50 foot pounds.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 1/4 tekton wrench that reads inch pounds I might just use that for the plugs. Just convert it to ft/lbs. and get the precision instrument one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts